2020 Defender Talk about the new 2020 Land Rover Defender
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question for those with the OEM expedition rack, ladder and box installed

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2022, 08:33 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 131 Likes on 88 Posts
Default Question for those with the OEM expedition rack, ladder and box installed

I have the OEM expedition rack, the OEM ladder and the OEM side box installed on my 110. I love the look and the functionality, however, I have noticed regular turbulence and crackle sounds when following tractor trailers and other high vehicles on the highway. This turbulence and sounds goes away when traveling on highways when no other vehicles are around.
The rack, the ladder and the box are mounted solid and have zero play. Has anyone experienced this issue on the highways?

Old 12-17-2022, 10:25 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 196 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by wcc18999
I have the OEM expedition rack, the OEM ladder and the OEM side box installed on my 110. I love the look and the functionality, however, I have noticed regular turbulence and crackle sounds when following tractor trailers and other high vehicles on the highway. This turbulence and sounds goes away when traveling on highways when no other vehicles are around.
The rack, the ladder and the box are mounted solid and have zero play. Has anyone experienced this issue on the highways?
I have all of these accessories and yes they produce wind noise (doesn’t bother me because it’s expected, common sense wise) but no weird turbulence or odd behaviors on the highway even at 80 mph. I haven’t driven next to or closely behind a lot 18 wheelers so can’t comment on that. A lot of new owners like the look, but don’t consider when adding accessories like this to any vehicle, that you’re battling aerodynamics! If you’re the type who likes a nice quiet ride then accessories like these are obviously not going to fit your lifestyle.

The following users liked this post:
Huc (12-17-2022)
Old 12-17-2022, 12:04 PM
Mudding
Received 88 Likes on 56 Posts

after driving off-road spec'd wranglers for years, i don't notice any noises with my defender

i can only speak to the expedition rack which i've had on and off a few times (currently off). definitely some occasional wind noise at higher speeds, and maybe some "turbulence" depending on speed, road, weather, and traffic conditions. but no "crackle sounds" or anything i would describe as out of the ordinary.

The following 3 users liked this post by sj24k:
ficklma1 (12-17-2022), Huc (12-17-2022), Jiman01 (12-17-2022)
Old 12-17-2022, 01:01 PM
Mudding
Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

+
Originally Posted by sj24k
after driving off-road spec'd wranglers for years, i don't notice any noises with my defender
I totally agree with this statement

Jiman01 (12-17-2022)
Old 12-17-2022, 02:09 PM
Winching
Received 161 Likes on 114 Posts

you are picking up wind drafts that are blocked by the 18 wheeler and then gust once they past by. with or without the rack you will feel it. With the rack that wind gust gets trapped and causing the issue.

had the same on my front runner rack. i would say normal

i don’t believe the ladder or box makes much noise. it’s the rack

The following 2 users liked this post by Ehloo:
Huc (12-17-2022), wcc18999 (12-18-2022)
Old 12-17-2022, 03:41 PM
Huc
Mudding
Received 173 Likes on 74 Posts

I have the rack + ladder + side (lunch) box on our 110x

As posted by others above; some wind noise but noting unexpected and I believe the bulk of the noise is from the rack itself not the ladder or side box in any material sense. As our rig has the sun roof I do notice the rack wind noise a bit more when the interior roof shade is open, but roof itself closed. That's subjective but seems reasonable as there's a bit of air space when the interior shade is closed that will buffer some noise. To help mitigate the rack noise I plan on installing the Colorado Fairing Company solution this coming year as others here in forum have done. I've seen threads here in forum for similar solutions/results for Front Runner racks. Not sure if the CO Fairing will make a massive difference but every little bit helps when it comes to wind noise.

Old 12-18-2022, 05:55 AM
Rock Crawling

I did buy the Colorado Fairing and have not installed it yet. I have the install scheduled after Christmas. Thanks for all the replies.

Old 12-19-2022, 07:47 AM
Mudding
Received 170 Likes on 84 Posts

I currently have just the ladder, and there was zero change in wind noise, even at 70+ mph highway speeds.

Huc (12-19-2022)
Old 12-30-2022, 04:31 AM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by Huc
I have the rack + ladder + side (lunch) box on our 110x

As posted by others above; some wind noise but noting unexpected and I believe the bulk of the noise is from the rack itself not the ladder or side box in any material sense. As our rig has the sun roof I do notice the rack wind noise a bit more when the interior roof shade is open, but roof itself closed. That's subjective but seems reasonable as there's a bit of air space when the interior shade is closed that will buffer some noise. To help mitigate the rack noise I plan on installing the Colorado Fairing Company solution this coming year as others here in forum have done. I've seen threads here in forum for similar solutions/results for Front Runner racks. Not sure if the CO Fairing will make a massive difference but every little bit helps when it comes to wind noise.
Originally Posted by Count Laszlo
I have all of these accessories and yes they produce wind noise (doesn’t bother me because it’s expected, common sense wise) but no weird turbulence or odd behaviors on the highway even at 80 mph. I haven’t driven next to or closely behind a lot 18 wheelers so can’t comment on that. A lot of new owners like the look, but don’t consider when adding accessories like this to any vehicle, that you’re battling aerodynamics! If you’re the type who likes a nice quiet ride then accessories like these are obviously not going to fit your lifestyle.
Just a quick update on the weird turbulence (crackling) noise experienced on my rack: while mounting the Colorado Fairing, my installer who also installed the rack on my Defender, noticed that one of the brackets that hold the rack onto the vehicle had a crack in the factory weld, which was causing this unusual noise. The installer spot welded the problem area to fix the issue. I am glad to report that the noise is gone and the Colorado Fairing made a huge difference in the noise produced, even increased my fuel mileage!

DonMitsu (01-09-2023)
Old 12-30-2022, 04:48 AM
Mudding
Received 78 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by wcc18999
Just a quick update on the weird turbulence (crackling) noise experienced on my rack: while mounting the Colorado Fairing, my installer who also installed the rack on my Defender, noticed that one of the brackets that hold the rack onto the vehicle had a crack in the factory weld, which was causing this unusual noise. The installer spot welded the problem area to fix the issue. I am glad to report that the noise is gone and the Colorado Fairing made a huge difference in the noise produced, even increased my fuel mileage!
Good deal. Out of curiosity, why wouldn’t the bracket be covered under warranty?

Quick Reply: Question for those with the OEM expedition rack, ladder and box installed