Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Random Pivi behavior - mutes, can't change source

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2023, 05:52 PM
Mudding
Received 88 Likes on 56 Posts
Default Random Pivi behavior - mutes, can't change source

happened twice in the past few weeks. got in car, start up as normal. infotainment goes on. carplay connects, but nothing plays. last song played comes up on screen, but is paused and when i hit play, nothing happens. when i try to switch the source, it shows all the options (sirius, am/fm, spotify, etc.) but when i click on one, it won't switch source. if i hit play on the phone itself, nothing, nada. and i have this little "mute" icon on the right side of the screen (see photo). not the usual larger mute button that pops up when i actually mute the system. but no way to unmute, no way to change source, no sound. only way to get it back to normal is to turn of ignition and restart. which does the trick. i've even tried turning off carplay, but still nothing changes. my guess is it's some kind of weird carplay/pivi startup conflict. since i don't think it's ever happened when last source played was sirius. i'm usually pretty good at figuring this stuff out, but this one has me stumped. am i missing something obvious? anyone else seeing this?

Old 05-13-2023, 06:00 PM
Mudding

oh, and latest versions of all software, iOS, iphone 13pro

Old 05-13-2023, 10:41 PM
Drifting
Received 27 Likes on 13 Posts

Since the last update mine will auto mute/shut off. Just hit the power button in the dash for the radio and it comes back. Some times it goes right back to off/mute and have to do it a few times.

Old 05-13-2023, 11:28 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by TSS73
Since the last update mine will auto mute/shut off. Just hit the power button in the dash for the radio and it comes back. Some times it goes right back to off/mute and have to do it a few times.
yeah. sadly hitting and/or holding the power button does nothing for me. i did just read that the latest iOS has been having some carplay issues, so could be the culprit. we'll see. thanks!

Old 05-14-2023, 09:23 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 402 Likes on 202 Posts

Mine has done that infrequently even before that last update. It is like the old joke about Microsoft Windows. If Microsoft made a car, you would have to pull over and re-start it a couple of times a day and you would think this is normal. It does seem to correspond with a source of bluetooth interference, which when the connection is re-made, it comes back muted. Try as I might, I cannot find an un-mute switch.

The following users liked this post:
ficklma1 (05-15-2023)
Old 05-14-2023, 09:25 AM
Drifting
Received 30 Likes on 16 Posts

I think this is what I experienced yesterday. No music playing via CarPlay. Pressed play, it immediately changed back to stopped. Went to pivi main menu to select another source. Wouldn't switch to fm radio. Held down the power button for 30 seconds to force a reboot and when the system came back all was well.

The following users liked this post:
ficklma1 (05-15-2023)
Old 05-15-2023, 08:10 PM
Rock Crawling

Ok, I was on the trail which for a while was parallel to the BNSF railroad's main line this morning. Just as I passed one of the big silver boxes, the ones that house some kind of complex railroad signaling stuff, I suppose. Or is just a stealth railway worker's secret beer fridge. My CarPlay stopped, it went mute and would not come back on. Powerful Juju must be coming out of that box to make the CarPlay system go kind of frozen. Song was still playing, according to the countdown timer, just no noise. So once I got back to a regular road, one with some thing resembling pavement. I stopped shut down re-started, after opening and closing the door. Still mute. So I plugged the phone Ito the USB C to lightning cable and then it seemed to shake its head and start playing with sound after I hit the arrow to play on the Pivi. So this morning's experience seems to line up with my previous events, that some external source is interfering with CarPlay and confusing the heck out of it.

Old 01-23-2024, 09:51 AM
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am having the same issue - did you ever resolve this? Appreciate any insight you can provide.

Old 01-23-2024, 10:02 AM
Mudding

Originally Posted by Bearcat306
I am having the same issue - did you ever resolve this? Appreciate any insight you can provide.
problem seems to have resolved itself as i haven't had it arise in a few months. i am assuming it was "fixed" with one of the iOS or Pivi OS updates that have come out since the problem first showed up. I am currently running the latest versions of each.

Old 01-23-2024, 10:09 AM
Rock Crawling

Absolute solution while moving, no. Have to stop, press and hold the power/volume button for 20 seconds and the Pivi system and dash reset. Then it seems to be fine. Not found a solution that restores it while moving, since it will not reset moving (I plug it in then). I still am unsure if the iPhone is not an accomplice in this whole process. It is just staring at the phone and driving at the same time is, well, perilous. Now if my wife was with me, she could stare at the phone and declare, "yes it is an iPhone." Magna *** Laude grad from UCLA, hates tech, so no help there. I really should have her drive me out to my study area and hope it fails. It is just it does not do it every time. Which is logical, all the items I have ID'd that cause regular interference also operate intermittently, due to being solar powered. So it would most likely operate flawlessly and my wife would give me the same look the cat does when irritated. For having her drive out to the middle of nowhere to accomplish nothing. The local Chase bank's alarm would do it, but lately it has not been a problem. Perhaps they replaced thier alarm system. Best Buy had an alarm that not only knocked out the Bluetooth, but also disabled the key for my Range Rover. It didn't have CarPlay. They seemed to have changed as well. Perhaps the FCC got on the alarm supplier for going over 100mw output power on the 2.4 ghz frequency.

Yes this would be easier to troubleshoot if the lane keeping function worked better. It does work, but is more like the cars in the Disneyland Autopia ride, where it had rails you would bump into and they would straighten out the car. You really never want to take your eyes off the road or hands off the wheel with that system or you look like a drunk weaving down the road.