Range Rover L405 (Fourth Gen) Talk about the Land Rover Range Rover 405 within.

Carplay no navigation sound

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2021, 10:43 AM
4th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Carplay no navigation sound

Having an annoying issue with 2020 RR that is keeping me busy me for a week now. Basic problem: when I run a navigation app on my iPhone 12 I do not hear the turn-by-turn instructions over Carplay. All other Carplay sound (e.g. Spotify, Tunein radio) is working no problem. Tried multiple navigation apps (Apple Maps, Google Maps, TomTom), all having the same problem. Also tried with 2 other iPhones, same issue so it's definitely the car and not the phone. Did a lot of Googling and found some instructions to turn the volume **** while a Carplay navigation instruction is given, but that only alters the 'main' volume so it turns up the music volume but still does not output any turn-by-turn instructions. In Google Maps on Carplay there is a volume option that says something like 'change the volume with your car volume control' but that doesn't do anything either.

I am running the latest version S21A_21.10.6.676616. Today got a call from someone that also just updated to this version in L405 and now has the same issue. So looks like a bug in the Infotainment.

Does anybody know of a way to reset all volumes to the default? I already did a factory reset of Infotainment, did not help.

The following 2 users liked this post by sventek:
Fischercutbait (07-14-2021), jeffrub (07-21-2021)
Old 05-20-2021, 05:26 PM
Overlanding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sventek
Having an annoying issue with 2020 RR that is keeping me busy me for a week now. Basic problem: when I run a navigation app on my iPhone 12 I do not hear the turn-by-turn instructions over Carplay. All other Carplay sound (e.g. Spotify, Tunein radio) is working no problem. Tried multiple navigation apps (Apple Maps, Google Maps, TomTom), all having the same problem. Also tried with 2 other iPhones, same issue so it's definitely the car and not the phone. Did a lot of Googling and found some instructions to turn the volume **** while a Carplay navigation instruction is given, but that only alters the 'main' volume so it turns up the music volume but still does not output any turn-by-turn instructions. In Google Maps on Carplay there is a volume option that says something like 'change the volume with your car volume control' but that doesn't do anything either.

I am running the latest version S21A_21.10.6.676616. Today got a call from someone that also just updated to this version in L405 and now has the same issue. So looks like a bug in the Infotainment.

Does anybody know of a way to reset all volumes to the default? I already did a factory reset of Infotainment, did not help.
I’m having the same exact problem with my 2020 Disco...started after the software update last week.

Old 05-25-2021, 03:43 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is exactly why I don't hurry up and download the latest updates from iphone- because every time I do- there seems to be issues for months with various infotainment options.

Old 05-27-2021, 03:29 PM
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I must have been dumb, because I updated the car software once it's been detected.

I'm having the same problem using different iPhones. In fact, it's not just Apple Maps, Google Maps doesn't make any sound neither.

My guess is the software update messed up with the speaker in the centre of the console. I even reset my iPhone and the car to make sure I wasn't dumb.

Old 05-27-2021, 03:30 PM
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Maybe the question now is how to downgrade the software?

Old 05-27-2021, 03:58 PM
4wd Low

The only way is to restore iphone from a previous backup that was saved with the previous IOS software. I changed my iphone update from auto to manual to prevent this from occuring- as I use an android 10.25 screen infotainment hardware. Also, you need to check your carplay settings in the "general" menu of settings- to make sure the device is set to "smart phone," and not "speaker" or "audio device." Every time I update my iphone- it change my carplay settings back to "headphones."

Hope this helps...
BB

Old 05-28-2021, 11:51 AM
Overlanding

Originally Posted by bbizzell
The only way is to restore iphone from a previous backup that was saved with the previous IOS software. I changed my iphone update from auto to manual to prevent this from occuring- as I use an android 10.25 screen infotainment hardware. Also, you need to check your carplay settings in the "general" menu of settings- to make sure the device is set to "smart phone," and not "speaker" or "audio device." Every time I update my iphone- it change my carplay settings back to "headphones."

Hope this helps...
BB
I’m not seeing the audio options you mention...is this on the iPhone or the car?

Old 05-29-2021, 12:44 PM
4wd Low

Do you connect via cable or Bluetooth?

Old 06-01-2021, 08:21 AM
Overlanding

Originally Posted by bbizzell
Do you connect via cable or Bluetooth?
Cable for me.

Old 06-15-2021, 09:09 PM
Overlanding
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Exact same issue

Originally Posted by trixie2000
I’m having the same exact problem with my 2020 Disco...started after the software update last week.
hi everybody, this happened to me as well a few weeks ago and I was able to fix it, it happened to me again last night and I fixed it, it happened to me this morning and I was not able to use the same method. Let me tell you what I did the first two times and see if it helps other people. By the way, check the range rover navigation. With my issue, I’m not able to use range rover navigation with audio either! Even its own navigation does not have turn by turn directions through the audio. SMH.

so my solution was to go to the range rover settings using the eight little dots in the lower left-hand corner, go to audio settings, click mute and unmute, then go to source, and click the radio and then click CarPlay. Then hit the home button and go back to CarPlay. That fixed the audio on the turn by turn directions in all of the apps and through the range rover application itself through the vehicle. But again it’s not working this time after fixing it twice using this method.

what seems to be causing it or triggering it anyway is plugging in the phone while it’s playing music and in the middle of doing a turn by turn. For some reason that seems to screw it up. it happened to me after the range rover software update, not the Apple update.

and like I said, it happens with the range rover navigation application also, it’s own built-in one! I’m curious for those of you having the same problem if the range rover version also gives you an issue, and if this fixes it for you. It’s driving me crazy and I keep missing off ramps. We need to get to the bottom of it.
dani

The following 2 users liked this post by Mischik:
jeffrub (07-21-2021), KCD (07-13-2022)

Quick Reply: Carplay no navigation sound