Sponsored by:

Ready to Order Nitto Ridge Grapplers -- last chance to change my mind

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2021, 10:09 PM
Drifting
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default No lift required

Originally Posted by AvoTow
Did you need any kind of lift to have these? They look incredible.
clears at all ride heights

The following users liked this post:
AvoTow (08-31-2021)
Old 08-31-2021, 10:32 PM
Mudding
Received 84 Likes on 53 Posts

Cooper Discoverer AT3 4S or XLT is another solid option. They had a huge 40% off clearance on the 4S at my local tire store that I couldn't pass up. Maybe not quite as aggressive looking at the nitto's or the Ko2's, but they still look great, and the ride quality / road noise seems excellent so far. They are also Tri-Peak snow rated if that is at all important to you.

Old 09-01-2021, 03:50 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,411 Likes on 713 Posts

Originally Posted by Iceman153
Cooper Discoverer AT3 4S or XLT is another solid option. They had a huge 40% off clearance on the 4S at my local tire store that I couldn't pass up. Maybe not quite as aggressive looking at the nitto's or the Ko2's, but they still look great, and the ride quality / road noise seems excellent so far. They are also Tri-Peak snow rated if that is at all important to you.
Price not being a consideration, I feel like those Coopers are great for being above average at nearly everything. Rain, some snow, highway, daily driving, gravel, some rock, etc. Not necessary the best at anything but a solid compromise when you want to run 1 do-it-all tire.

The Ridge Grapplers seem like a little more capable off-road tire that has been made highway-quiet for that 1000 mile trip to spend a couple days on the trail. I 'could' live with them on a set of 18's as a daily driver when I get back from those trips but I'd be giving up a lot vs. putting even the stock 20's back on. I'm saying this from Florida where rain, terrible driving, and traffic are the conditions that dominate our roads.

The Defender is no sports car so I need any handling advantage I can get driving around the dimwits. Hence 2 sets of wheels.

Am I wrong on this?

Old 09-01-2021, 06:27 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 699 Likes on 405 Posts

Ok, thanks all for your help. I appreciate all the feedback and encouragement.

The Ridge Grapplers are on order and I should start using them over the next couple weeks. I read / saw one video where a fellow was on his fourth set and loves them -- so I figure that and everything else I read says all may work out. I will let you know !!

The Coopers looked good -- but I want to try a combo tire, as my off roading is often in red clay slippey mud. My P300 110 is from the factory on 18" wheels -- so, no conversion was necessary for me.

Interestingly, the new Recon Grapplers are not yet available in an 18 inch size -- 20 inch only is available for now.

Enjoy !!

The following 3 users liked this post by TrioLRowner:
GrouseK9 (09-01-2021), Iceman153 (09-01-2021), _Allegedly (09-01-2021)
Old 09-01-2021, 06:50 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,396 Likes on 688 Posts

Originally Posted by _Allegedly
Price not being a consideration, I feel like those Coopers are great for being above average at nearly everything. Rain, some snow, highway, daily driving, gravel, some rock, etc. Not necessary the best at anything but a solid compromise when you want to run 1 do-it-all tire.

The Ridge Grapplers seem like a little more capable off-road tire that has been made highway-quiet for that 1000 mile trip to spend a couple days on the trail. I 'could' live with them on a set of 18's as a daily driver when I get back from those trips but I'd be giving up a lot vs. putting even the stock 20's back on. I'm saying this from Florida where rain, terrible driving, and traffic are the conditions that dominate our roads.

The Defender is no sports car so I need any handling advantage I can get driving around the dimwits. Hence 2 sets of wheels.

Am I wrong on this?
Exactly my plan as well. Set of 18s on steelies in the garage until heading out west, or for local off-roading trips.

As of right now I’ve ruled out grinding the calipers. I got my first steelie in. Fits great on the front, not even close on the rear. You have both the lower control arm mount and a corner of the caliper to deal with. So I’ve ordered a pair of 30mm spacers to see if it clears with those. If so, then I’ll proceed. If not, I’ll start thinking about whether I want to buy the small calipers or just put new tires on the 20s and be done with it. But I sure hate to degrade the handling or noise specs of the truck the way it currently is, since unlike my Jeep, the vast majority of my use will be on the road.

The following 3 users liked this post by NoGaBiker:
GavinC (09-01-2021), GrouseK9 (09-01-2021), _Allegedly (09-01-2021)
Old 09-01-2021, 09:15 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 55 Likes on 37 Posts

I have the Nitto Terra Grapplers in 275/65/18R. They have been great. About 5k miles in. In the middle of a road trip through Montana/Glacier. Have also done lots of forest service roads and been really happy with them. Minimal road noise.

I believe they are a step down from the Ridge Grapplers in terms of aggressive terrain capability, but for my needs they have been great. And no issues with rubbing on the stock air suspension.

One note is that they make this size with two different product numbers - one is snow rated and the other isn’t. So just be careful when ordering.

Old 09-01-2021, 09:46 AM
Overlanding
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

I went with the General Grabber ATX's and they have been phenomenal! They have a special layer in them that absorbs some of the road noise the larger lugs make which makes them a lot more comfortable for daily use. Granted there is still tire noise but nothing the stereo can't down out. And for offroading they have been flawless. No puncture scares and have kept up with my group of off-roaders with their Toyotas and Nittos.

Grabber™ A/TX | General Tire

Old 09-01-2021, 05:17 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 2,354 Likes on 966 Posts

Originally Posted by NoGaBiker
Exactly my plan as well. Set of 18s on steelies in the garage until heading out west, or for local off-roading trips.

As of right now I’ve ruled out grinding the calipers. I got my first steelie in. Fits great on the front, not even close on the rear. You have both the lower control arm mount and a corner of the caliper to deal with. So I’ve ordered a pair of 30mm spacers to see if it clears with those. If so, then I’ll proceed. If not, I’ll start thinking about whether I want to buy the small calipers or just put new tires on the 20s and be done with it. But I sure hate to degrade the handling or noise specs of the truck the way it currently is, since unlike my Jeep, the vast majority of my use will be on the road.
That's great info. I wonder how close the fit is with the Tuffant Alloys. May end up doing the same thing. Buy 1 and see how it looks WRT grinding. I'm probably way over thinking it. 20" will probably be fine for 99% of what I do. Maybe down the line when I've got some bush pinstripes and plenty of dings from life (the kids' bikes mostly) I'll get brave and tackle some rocks.

The following users liked this post:
GrouseK9 (09-02-2021)
Old 09-02-2021, 04:36 PM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TrioLRowner
Ok, I have just worn down my OEM Goodyear Wranglers AT by 10K miles of on/off road use, including an extra tire I bought to replace one which I blew out, previously. So, I now have that one and my original spare worn-in with good tread which I will use as two spares for when I blow out the next two tires, possibly on the same next off-road trip (or not, hopefully).

To mount the second of these two tires, an 18" OEM white steelie which I ordered just arrived. So, I am ready to order four new better tires before my next multi-day adventure deep into the woods -- far away from tire shops. I have my new 1.5 inch lift rods and will use them for the trip, also -- should be fun.

I decided to stay with the OEM sizing -- 255 70 R18. Mainly, I am doing this so I can pull off the lift rods and drive the vehicle on the roads without issue.

I have decided to go with the Nitto Ridge Grapplers, ordered from Discount Tire, primarily because I have decided I don't want the stiffnessa nd noise of the KO2s, the Grapplers seem to be the quietest of all tires, and the feedback on the Goodyear Duratracs is solid, but not as good as the Nittos. Many other ATs have solid feedback as well, but not as uniform as the Grapplers, nor as effective solid off-road. I care not how the tires look.

If I am blowing it here with this choice, please let me know asap !!
I too am considering this as my next tire for my 2020 and appreciate you starting this thread. Looking at Nitto website, it appears the 255 70 R18 Ridge Grappler is an XL tire rather than a LT tire. I admit I am not sure I fully understand the difference, other than that XL means "extra load" and LT is obviously light truck. Some sites indicate XL is a beefed up passenger tire but others indicate it's as strong or stronger than an LT. The stock LR Goodyear AT Adventures are also XL, but from online videos it appears they do seem to have sidewall strength issues. Any clarification/opinion on relative ability of XL vs LT tires appreciated. The Ridge Grappler does look like the best tire for the 18in L663. KO2 and Duratrac both seem to be louder and wear out faster (and cost more).

Please post picks when you get them on your truck - would love to see them.

Last edited by wandldawg; 09-03-2021 at 09:31 AM.
Old 09-03-2021, 02:15 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 699 Likes on 405 Posts

The LT tires are 25% heavier than the E rated (XL heavy load) tires -- 50+ lbs. vs. 40+ lbs.

The LT tires have either a 65 or 80 psi limit vs. 50 psi for the E tires.

They LT tires have slightly higher load capacities.

The LT tires have more cords of steel etc in their construction and therefore are much stiffer. The LT tires provide a stiffer, less compliant, less sporty ride.

The cost is in the same ball park for both types.

I ended up buying the most heavy-duty E rated XL type tires I could find -- which were quiet.

We shall see how it goes ...

Enjoy !

Quick Reply: Ready to Order Nitto Ridge Grapplers -- last chance to change my mind