Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ready to Order Nitto Ridge Grapplers -- last chance to change my mind

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2021, 11:53 PM
Winching
Received 560 Likes on 252 Posts

Originally Posted by TrioLRowner
The LT tires are 25% heavier than the E rated (XL heavy load) tires -- 50+ lbs. vs. 40+ lbs.

The LT tires have either a 65 or 80 psi limit vs. 50 psi for the E tires.

They LT tires have slightly higher load capacities.

The LT tires have more cords of steel etc in their construction and therefore are much stiffer. The LT tires provide a stiffer, less compliant, less sporty ride.

The cost is in the same ball park for both types.

I ended up buying the most heavy-duty E rated XL type tires I could find -- which were quiet.

We shall see how it goes ...

Enjoy !
A bit of confusion here. The "E" load range (indicating the equivalent of a 10-ply construction, which in itself is somewhat misleading as nobody builds tires with actual 10 plies anymore) is used to rate Light Truck / LT tires exclusively. Passenger / SUV tires - those without LT prefix - come either in Standard Load (SL) or reinforced, Extra Load (XL) versions. The latter is the type of passenger tire that Land Rover recommends for the new Defender, as it is a heavy vehicle with a high towing capacity.

There is no such thing as an XL tire with an E load range or "rating". Load ranges B, C, D, E and F - E being the most popular - are used to identify the maximum load capacity and inflation pressure of stiffer, heavier - and heavier duty - LT tires.

Last edited by umbertob; 09-06-2021 at 08:17 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by umbertob:
GavinC (09-06-2021), GrouseK9 (09-06-2021)
Old 09-06-2021, 04:06 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 699 Likes on 405 Posts

Thank you Umbertob for the correction -- it was definitely needed.

I was tired and rushed my reply. Sorry all.

Old 09-07-2021, 06:48 AM
3rd Gear
Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

Steve, did you find a buyer for those wheels and tires yet? Shipping may be a problem but I am in Dallas and do have an interest.

Old 09-09-2021, 06:30 AM
Drifting
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I am switching wheels today and then I will post them.

Old 09-11-2021, 07:15 AM
Drifting
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have switched back to OEM wheels and tires and have now listed the Vossen HF-5s and NITTO Ridge Grapplers. They are posted in the Marketplace section.

The following users liked this post:
MrBreeze (09-11-2021)
Old 09-11-2021, 12:10 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Smile First road drive with Ridge Grapplers

With the 255 70 R18 Ridge Grapplers on my P300 D110 and with the front set at 43 psi and the rear at 46 psi, and with the winch and tray installed and the heavy-duty rock sliders in place, here are my initial on-road impressions:

1) they are louder than Continental or Falken A/T tires and louder than the Goodyear OEM A/Ts. The noise is not overly obtrusive, but it does vary, as follows:
a) the rear is louder than the front (I think I will drop the tire pressure and see if this changes at all). Having the second row up decreases the sound a bit.
b) the hum begins at 45 mph and the pitch of the hum rises steadily through 75 MPH (which is as fast as I drive).
c) the front makes more noise under braking (interesting).

2) they provide a bit stiffer ride than the OEM tires (feelings in the bum are more pronounced). Lane changes are more pronounced.

3) I can see why Steven is changing back to OEM tires, if he is to daily drive long highway distances. I am not, and drive often off-road, so I think I am fine.

4) I will make sure to rotate the tires every time I change the oil (every 5K miles). As an aside, the used oil is useful to start necessary bush fires to maintain property out in the country -- so not to worry about the changes occuring more often than recommended. Nothing goes to waste.

So far, the tires are behaving exactly as described by you all and by Nitto. I am looking forward to getting deep in our mountain mud and see how they perform!

Enjoy!

Last edited by TrioLRowner; 09-11-2021 at 12:15 PM.
MrBreeze (09-11-2021)
Old 09-12-2021, 06:44 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Default first drive off-road

I lowered the rears to 44 psi and the noise in the rear was reduced to equal with the front -- a very positive difference. Much better.

I drove on the interstate for 100 miles or so and the noise level was quite tolerable -- I am probably getting used to it.

We took the Defender off-road up a 20 degree hill atop dense, 3 to 4 feet high grasses and plants in lifted, LO range and grass mode and the climbing (without the use of momentum) was exceptionally easy and smooth -- nary a slip whatsoever. The tires are a definite traction improvement over the OEM A/Ts and other A/Ts I have used on my Defender and my LR4 (both which climbs this same hill ok, but with slips and starts and stops, sometimes.) The hill has defeated several MB SUVs -- which do not have LO range.

I am very pleased so far. Now waiting for it to rain to go find some mud.

Enjoy !!

The upper section measures out true 20 degree climb. The Defender is sitting at 10 degrees or so in the photo

Cannot hay the upper portion -- too steep to run the tractor safely

Old 09-22-2021, 02:46 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Default definitely an upgrade off-road

Ok, its been raining in the mountains, so I was able to get out into the wet -- gravel, grass, forest stuff (leaves, sticks & bark) and MUD (of course) -- for a bit of time.

YES, yes, yes -- VERY happy ! The Ridge Grapplers continue to be exactly what was promised by Nitto and you all.

Drove another couple hundred miles on the interstate -- happy there too.

Enjoy !

The following 2 users liked this post by TrioLRowner:
GavinC (09-22-2021), _Allegedly (09-22-2021)
Old 09-23-2021, 06:25 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,394 Likes on 688 Posts

Man, that’s great to hear! I was picking up a part at the JLR dealer yesterday and parked next to a LR3 with RidgeGrapplers — such a great looking tire for our trucks. Glad to hear the interstate experience is still good with them. I had no doubt the mud experience would be vastly improved.

Now I still just have to grapple with the question of do I go down to 18s, with all the concomitant expense, or just buy RGs in 20?

I am so used to dropping my Jeep to 14 psi on rough trials, even if not rock climbing, just trails with 3-6” scree scattered around on them, and it changes the comfort picture so dramatically (combined with disconnecting the front sway bar.) I fear that with the large amount of pressure I’ll need to leave in these tires if the wheels are 20”, I won’t be satisfied with the off-road ride on long bumpy but non-challenging trails/roads.

RR2Dfndr (02-20-2022)
Old 09-23-2021, 08:19 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,407 Likes on 710 Posts

Originally Posted by NoGaBiker
Now I still just have to grapple with the question of do I go down to 18s, with all the concomitant expense, or just buy RGs in 20?
^Really above average dad pun.

It's pretty much settled for me. HUGE thanks to @TrioLRowner for starting this thread and confirming that the Nittos are a solid choice!

Daily 20's with the best tires I can find for daily driving in heavy traffic and Florida rain. I want the stopping power and handling.

For off-road trips, 18" Tuffant steelies (5 for $1000), LR rear caliper kit from the post below ($340), Ridge Grapplers ($?), don't believe spacers are necessary. This gets me through the 8-24 hour drive to a trail from Florida and should work well once I'm there.

Swap over myself before and after and I don't have to worry about beating up my 20's.

Quite bluntly, it's been a very long time since I've been on one of these trips and I'm probably wrong about some of it but it seems like the best decision for me.

Originally Posted by mshotel
Here is the real caliper part numbers to fit tuffants on a p400 with a 350mm rotor.

LR102243 + LR102246

Enjoy.

​​​​​​​

Last edited by _Allegedly; 09-23-2021 at 08:26 AM.

Quick Reply: Ready to Order Nitto Ridge Grapplers -- last chance to change my mind