2020 Defender Talk about the new 2020 Land Rover Defender
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ready to Order Nitto Ridge Grapplers -- last chance to change my mind

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2021, 08:45 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,258 Likes on 748 Posts

Ditto all @_Allegedly 's plans with the slight mod that I plan to go with the OEM steelies powder coated black. I'm hoping to go without spacers, but I think I'm likely going to wind up purchasing them.

Old 09-23-2021, 08:59 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,396 Likes on 688 Posts

This is good intel on the calipers. So school me here -- the $340 cost is for a pair of LR calipers, vs basically a grand for the L8 option? Is there anything else needed other than PN 2243 and 2246? Just reuse all existing mounting hardware and pads? What are these brakes off of originally?

If it's only $350 plus the steelies, I'll probably do exactly this as well. I've always planned to keep the OEM 20s + tires for most of my use, even if swapping to 18s for offroading trips.

EDIT: I'm finding them no cheaper than $366/pair, but with a $100 each core charge, so that's coming out to basically $600 with tax, plus a little more for shipping. Where are you finding a pair for $340?

Last edited by NoGaBiker; 09-23-2021 at 09:04 AM.
Old 09-23-2021, 09:20 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 2,354 Likes on 966 Posts

Originally Posted by _Allegedly
^Really above average dad pun.

It's pretty much settled for me. HUGE thanks to @TrioLRowner for starting this thread and confirming that the Nittos are a solid choice!

Daily 20's with the best tires I can find for daily driving in heavy traffic and Florida rain. I want the stopping power and handling.

For off-road trips, 18" Tuffant steelies (5 for $1000), LR rear caliper kit from the post below ($340), Ridge Grapplers ($?), don't believe spacers are necessary. This gets me through the 8-24 hour drive to a trail from Florida and should work well once I'm there.

Swap over myself before and after and I don't have to worry about beating up my 20's.

Quite bluntly, it's been a very long time since I've been on one of these trips and I'm probably wrong about some of it but it seems like the best decision for me.

You might want to verify the Tuffant Steelies do/don't require spacers. Jake at Tuffant mentioned to me that spacers are needed for fitment of the steelies on the p400 (the fronts are the issue this time I believe but not sure as it's been a while since I spoke with him). Not a huge problem if you don't mind spacers, but something to factor into your cost breakdown if indeed that is the case. $248 from lucky 8 for spacers.

Old 09-23-2021, 09:34 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,411 Likes on 713 Posts

@NoGaBiker from my understanding, these are the calipers that will work and @mshotel did it with Tuffants. I'm planning on confirming with Tuffant.

I think it was JLR.parts in the UK that had them at about 100 pounds each + shipping when I looked a couple months ago but my notes are a mess and they now show out of stock.

Old 09-23-2021, 09:55 AM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by _Allegedly
@NoGaBiker from my understanding, these are the calipers that will work and @mshotel did it with Tuffants. I'm planning on confirming with Tuffant.

I think it was JLR.parts in the UK that had them at about 100 pounds each + shipping when I looked a couple months ago but my notes are a mess and they now show out of stock.
Thanks! $600 is still better than $1000 plus tax/shipping. But that $340 was sounding great. Especially if they don't require the $100 core charge each.

Old 09-23-2021, 12:47 PM
Drifting
Received 34 Likes on 10 Posts

I purchased the Tuffant alloys and calipers from Lucky8 and installed the calipers last weekend. Here's a pic of the size difference.
It sounds like I could have saved some money getting the calipers separately.
The Tuffant alloys don't require spacers but I think they have a different offset than the steelies.

The following 2 users liked this post by johnz330:
GavinC (09-23-2021), GrouseK9 (09-23-2021)
Old 09-23-2021, 06:14 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 2,354 Likes on 966 Posts

Originally Posted by johnz330
I purchased the Tuffant alloys and calipers from Lucky8 and installed the calipers last weekend. Here's a pic of the size difference.
It sounds like I could have saved some money getting the calipers separately.
The Tuffant alloys don't require spacers but I think they have a different offset than the steelies.

picture of brakes
Thanks for posting this. Really helpful. I can see that grinding the larger OEM caliper to fit 18s is not likely an option. Looks about 1/4 " of extra caliper on the left.

Are the gouges on the RHS one from Lucky8 taking off the part numbers?

Old 09-23-2021, 07:12 PM
Drifting
Received 34 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by GavinC
Thanks for posting this. Really helpful. I can see that grinding the larger OEM caliper to fit 18s is not likely an option. Looks about 1/4 " of extra caliper on the left.

Are the gouges on the RHS one from Lucky8 taking off the part numbers?
Both calipers had those scratches and it does look like something was removed. Just the other day I read on a FB group that L8 found the manufacturer and is having these made without the markings, so I’m not sure what they’ve removed.
I wish I’d gotten a side profile pic as that is larger on the original also. The piston looks to be identical, and I’ve not noticed any difference in braking.

The following users liked this post:
GavinC (09-23-2021)
Old 09-26-2021, 02:03 PM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I purchased the l8 variant as well. I believe those scratches are the shaved off serial number of the landrover variant. You can see similar numbers if you google lr discovery calipers. Buying the landrover part is the smarter and cheaper way to go

Old 09-28-2021, 02:40 PM
Pro Wrench

Okay, I just called my dealer parts guy (literally on a first name basis with Harold!) and he can get part 2243 from a US warehouse, but 2246 is due at the warehouse in England 10/8, and he says they usually push these things back anyway.

So, since price with core charge is about $695 with tax I decided to go the LK8 route and spend $1004 (including shipping) to a) support an important vendor and b) ensure timely 3-day delivery and c) ensure I get the correct kit (I only have some dude on the internet's word that the LR part numbers work. I assume they do, but if they don't my shop will still charge me labor for dicking around with them and LR probably won't take them back once they've been dicked around with.)

So I'm getting my local LR shop (named, charmingly, The Shop) to install my LK8 winch plate in November, and I just added calipers to the order -- I was planning to do them but once it's up there anyway I'll just let them do the whole job.

Quick Reply: Ready to Order Nitto Ridge Grapplers -- last chance to change my mind