Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear (cargo) door issue this morning

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2022, 11:42 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,166 Likes on 626 Posts
Default Rear (cargo) door issue (?)

So my rear cargo door does not really stay put where I open it if the car is on any incline whatsoever. Which is how I thought it was designed. Maybe my strut is bad, but that seems odd.

Caused an issue hitting my better half in the side of the face with the spare tire. They have a history of also hating the rear cargo door on my D2's. So .. it fits. But when I try to explain that this door is different, this door is better, I've yet to be able to demonstrate that.

Read this on another forum "Open the door, click the door handle, and it will hold in place. You will her the solenoid work. Click handle again to close it. Works a treat."

IS that true? Mine does not do this and couldn't find mention in owners manual? The only thing I see is "The taildoor can be opened and held in any required position. Move the taildoor to the required position and hold for approximately one second. The taildoor's mechanism helps to prevent movement of the taildoor. Increased force is required to move the taildoor from the held position or from the fully open position."

So is the idea I need to hold it there for 1 second? I swear that does nothing as if I let the door go it just swings in whatever direction. It has a slight resistance but nothing that stops it from flapping around. Anyone else ? Weird.

Last edited by nashvegas; 06-02-2022 at 12:11 PM.
Old 06-02-2022, 11:50 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 175 Likes on 105 Posts

No you need to open and then stop at desired spot and move it slightly back towards closing. It will stay put generally but I don't think will
Hold on a serious incline

The following users liked this post:
nashvegas (06-02-2022)
Old 06-02-2022, 11:57 AM
Mudding
Received 155 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by nashvegas
So my rear cargo door does not really stay put where I open it if the car is on any incline whatsoever. Which is how I thought it was designed. Maybe my strut is bad, but that seems odd.

Caused an issue hitting my better half in the side of the face with the spare tire. They have a history of also hating the rear cargo door on my D2's. So .. it fits. But when I try to explain that this door is different, this door is better, I've yet to be able to demonstrate that.

Read this on another forum "Open the door, click the door handle, and it will hold in place. You will her the solenoid work. Click handle again to close it. Works a treat."

IS that true? Mine does not do this and couldn't find mention in owners manual? The only thing I see is "The taildoor can be opened and held in any required position. Move the taildoor to the required position and hold for approximately one second. The taildoor's mechanism helps to prevent movement of the taildoor. Increased force is required to move the taildoor from the held position or from the fully open position."

So is the idea I need to hold it there for 1 second? I swear that does nothing as if I let the door go it just swings in whatever direction. It has a slight resistance but nothing that stops it from flapping around. Anyone else ? Weird.
Mine definitely holds in place as the manual describes (I've never needed any clicking of the door handle). I haven't tried it on any sort of severe incline, though.

Old 06-02-2022, 12:35 PM
Winching
Received 610 Likes on 290 Posts

Mine works just as D-Fens. Exactly as described in the owners manual.

Old 06-02-2022, 01:09 PM
Winching
Received 171 Likes on 129 Posts

you wish it functions like that but I don't think it does.

Old 06-02-2022, 01:24 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 261 Likes on 138 Posts

I open the door past where I want it to stay open. I then bring it in and bring it back out quickly in one movement and it will hold its positon.

Old 06-02-2022, 02:21 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,255 Likes on 747 Posts

THIS is why I'm on this Forum! A year in and I'm still finding cool features I never knew I had or thought of using. Thanks for that tip! Now for me to promptly forget it (because I'm becoming an old, forgetful curmudgeon in life....)

The following 3 users liked this post by GrouseK9:
Elektrapops (06-04-2022), Jrunr619 (08-16-2022), nashvegas (06-02-2022)
Old 06-03-2022, 09:25 AM
Winching
Received 610 Likes on 290 Posts

Originally Posted by sblvro
you wish it functions like that but I don't think it does.
It most certainly does. Cross my heart and hope to die.

Old 06-03-2022, 12:41 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 2,299 Likes on 949 Posts

Tail Door Info Link

"The taildoor can be opened and held in any required position. Move the taildoor to the required position and hold for approximately one second. The taildoor's mechanism helps to prevent movement of the taildoor. Increased force is required to move the taildoor from the held position or from the fully open position."

Last edited by GavinC; 06-03-2022 at 02:21 PM.
Old 06-03-2022, 01:15 PM
Mudding
Received 155 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by WTFChuck
It most certainly does. Cross my heart and hope to die.
Yup. My introduction to this was the sales person opening the rear gate when showing me all the features. It was parked close to a wall and he was showing me the buttons to adjust the suspension from the back. I jumped because I expected the door to swing into the wall, not knowing that it was held in place. Very nice feature!

The following users liked this post:
WTFChuck (06-03-2022)

Quick Reply: Rear (cargo) door issue this morning