2020 Defender Talk about the new 2020 Land Rover Defender
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear (cargo) door issue this morning

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2022, 03:23 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 698 Likes on 405 Posts

I put my 2020 110 S model on a 15 degree side slope and it worked exactly as WTFChuck described. I had no idea such a feature existed.

One can definitely feel and hear the solenoid thrusting out some stick of some type -- and you can feel some type of spring loaded ball going over the stick when you pull the door closed (or so I imagine).

An interesting point is the force required to disengage (pull the ball over the stick) is very light and does not seem to vary with the angle of the side slope.

It also worked with the door partially open, but I got a lot me satisfaction pushing the button with the door fully open.

Learned something new !! Thanks

Enjoy !

Old 06-09-2022, 01:15 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 55 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by TrioLRowner
I put my 2020 110 S model on a 15 degree side slope and it worked exactly as WTFChuck described. I had no idea such a feature existed.

One can definitely feel and hear the solenoid thrusting out some stick of some type -- and you can feel some type of spring loaded ball going over the stick when you pull the door closed (or so I imagine).

An interesting point is the force required to disengage (pull the ball over the stick) is very light and does not seem to vary with the angle of the side slope.

It also worked with the door partially open, but I got a lot me satisfaction pushing the button with the door fully open.

Learned something new !! Thanks

Enjoy !
If pushing the button locks the door in place on any incline then you have truly changed my future camping experience. Carrying so much on my spare tyre inevitably means getting whacked on the backside for grabbing a beer from the fridge when on a steep incline, no matter how careful I am with the forward/backward positioning.
I am so excited that I am going home to try it now.

The following users liked this post:
GrouseK9 (06-09-2022)
Old 08-15-2022, 05:19 AM
Overlanding
Received 23 Likes on 9 Posts

As the button is not going to get too much usage I ended up installing it inside the small copartment inside the door, easy enough to open and push the button, easy to install and also 100% invisible.

Also for those who are worried about the button being pressed while car is in motion - the door is locked and button does not work if car is not in park.

The following 2 users liked this post by Parukas:
GavinC (08-15-2022), MattF (08-15-2022)
Old 08-15-2022, 06:40 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,255 Likes on 747 Posts

Brilliant location! Well done. I may put mine there as well. Just wondering if the tail gate table will be too much of a PITA from inside to get thru when in need.

Old 08-15-2022, 09:15 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 61 Likes on 33 Posts

I did think about putting my button in there when I was adding the extra power outlets but decided against it as I have the rear table installed, instead I put mine in the interior handle recess, it's shown on the end of this short video

Jrunr619 (08-16-2022)
Old 08-16-2022, 07:58 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,255 Likes on 747 Posts

@Dan Hairy - THAT was brilliant. I may find myself doing that once I open it all up to put in the interior door switch.

Old 08-16-2022, 11:10 AM
Mudding
Received 114 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by nashvegas
So my rear cargo door does not really stay put where I open it if the car is on any incline whatsoever. Which is how I thought it was designed. Maybe my strut is bad, but that seems odd.

Read this on another forum "Open the door, click the door handle, and it will hold in place. You will her the solenoid work. Click handle again to close it. Works a treat."

IS that true? Anyone else ? Weird.
That is exactly is how it works on my MY23 110S. I am guessing that it replaces the missing soft door close feature that the earlier models had. Works great for me, it can be easily set at any angle.

Old 08-16-2022, 01:42 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 85 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Drednot
That is exactly is how it works on my MY23 110S. I am guessing that it replaces the missing soft door close feature that the earlier models had. Works great for me, it can be easily set at any angle.
I bet I’m gonna be sad when I got try this trick on my own ‘23 110S. I don’t think I have the soft close feature.

Old 08-16-2022, 02:13 PM
Mudding
Received 114 Likes on 67 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by mdgs
I bet I’m gonna be sad when I got try this trick on my own ‘23 110S. I don’t think I have the soft close feature.
Soft close on a cargo door?? When I war a lad, we would 'ave died for any cargo door. all we 'ad war tail gate and canvas roof on the old Series IIA, but we war glad 'o it. But try to tell that to young people today....

mdgs (08-16-2022)
Old 08-16-2022, 03:28 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 85 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Drednot
Soft close on a cargo door?? When I war a lad, we would 'ave died for any cargo door. all we 'ad war tail gate and canvas roof on the old Series IIA, but we war glad 'o it. But try to tell that to young people today....
some say my whole generation is “soft close”

but I am pleased to report the hold feature when the handle is clicked seems to be working just fine even though I’m not sure I actually have a soft close rear door or not.

Quick Reply: Rear (cargo) door issue this morning