Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear cargo door noise

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2021, 06:39 PM
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Rear cargo door noise

Had my XS about a month, I love it and really have not had any issues.

however, the rear door creaks/crackles constantly when rolling over even the most minor of bumps in the road. I feel like it’s at the junction of the glass panel and the door itself. Anyone had same and found a solution?

Old 08-28-2021, 07:34 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 231 Likes on 141 Posts

I have not (yet) had that problem. The new annoyance for me is the driver's seat clicking, like a click sound from cheap plastic somewhere. I dunno what that's all about. One of the the youtubers with a 90 mentioned it with theirs too. Was not a problem until about a month into ownership, much more annoying than the a-pillar crackle at highway speeds which I also have. I can see where slamming the back door might lead to problems eventually. Most people who reviewed the new defender slammed it and didn't realize it was soft close. The thing is heavy so going easy with it is probably a good idea. I close mine like a baby is sleeping in the back of it. Shhh.

Last edited by Chief65; 08-28-2021 at 07:40 PM.
Old 08-28-2021, 07:42 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 212 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by Chief65
I have not (yet) had that problem. The new annoyance for me is the driver's seat clicking, like a click sound from cheap plastic somewhere. I dunno what that's all about. One of the the youtubers with a 90 mentioned it with theirs too. Was not a problem until about a month into ownership, much more annoying than the a-pillar crackle at highway speeds which I also have. I can see where slamming the back door might lead to problems eventually. Most people who reviewed the car slammed it and didn't realize it was soft close. The thing is heavy so going easy with it is probably a good idea. I close mine like a baby is sleeping in the back of it. lol
I had a similar annoying issue on my BMW, and the cause of the clicking noise from the seat area was the something in seat belt buckle. The entire buckle replaced under warranty. Maybe something to check?

Old 08-28-2021, 07:43 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 231 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by swajames
I had a similar annoying issue on my BMW, and the cause of the clicking noise from the seat area was the something in seat belt buckle. The entire buckle replaced under warranty. Maybe something to check?
Hmm, could be. Doesn't seem like it's coming from there but I'll keep an ear out for it. Thanks for the suggestion. I've been fiddling around with the track area when I hear it while driving and just end up with grease on my fingers.

Old 08-28-2021, 07:46 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 212 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by Jay_k

however, the rear door creaks/crackles constantly when rolling over even the most minor of bumps in the road. I feel like it’s at the junction of the glass panel and the door itself. Anyone had same and found a solution?
I don’t have the solution, but do have what appears to be the same issue albeit not to the same degree you do, so following this with interest.

Mine isn’t annoying enough to warrant a trip to the dealer on its own, so unless it gets worse I’ll ask them to take a look next time I go for something else.

Old 08-28-2021, 11:45 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 196 Likes on 112 Posts

I also have a intermittent cracking/clicking sound from the rear boot and have been unable to track it down. It’s not annoying and doesn’t happen all the time. But when it does my curious ears wants to hunt it down. I don’t think it’s the rear gate but plastic clicking somewhere. I’ve moved my hands around every inch in the back and unable to isolate. But again it’s not bad at all. But would rather find it too.

Old 09-05-2021, 02:47 PM
Drifting
Received 35 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Noise in rear latch

Originally Posted by Jay_k

I have had several annoying noises/rattles.
The tailgate has a latch and a second non-latching "guide". On my 2020, I applied grease to the guide and the rattle is gone.

Other noises I've tracked down: seatbelt buckles for second and third row seats; rear seats and/or seat-backs not being properly latched in place; the hinged cargo area hatch in the 3-row seater model.

The following 2 users liked this post by Jolly Rancher:
Jay_k (09-05-2021), swajames (09-05-2021)
Old 09-05-2021, 03:19 PM
Mudding
Received 164 Likes on 93 Posts

Another area for potential rattles is the sunroof blind. This is definitely an issue in my 110. Fortunately it’s only after the first couple of Dallas potholes. Then it settles down. I found it easy to pinpoint, but it’s not easy to fix.

The following 2 users liked this post by TheMoke:
Jay_k (09-05-2021), swajames (09-05-2021)
Old 09-05-2021, 04:38 PM
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TheMoke
Another area for potential rattles is the sunroof blind. This is definitely an issue in my 110. Fortunately it’s only after the first couple of Dallas potholes. Then it settles down. I found it easy to pinpoint, but it’s not easy to fix.
how did you fix the blind one? I’ve now got it too. Was yours at the front of the blind?

Old 09-05-2021, 05:56 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 55 Likes on 37 Posts

I’ve had a rattle from the back that came from the compartment that holds the safety triangle on the back door. I put a bit of padding (rubber furniture feet) in the little plastic compartment and that seemed to fix it.

The following 2 users liked this post by BRW110:
Dndicicco (10-19-2021), swajames (09-05-2021)

Quick Reply: Rear cargo door noise