Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear view mirror camera --- an unconsidered reality

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2020, 09:17 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 699 Likes on 405 Posts
Default Rear view mirror camera --- an unconsidered reality

I have seen the rear view camera recently mentioned a few times, and people are paying the JLR price to buy them as a stand-alone option -- me also, I did the same on my P300 110 S, for the obvious reasons.

But, what I have learned is my vision issues do not allow me to effectively use it. Let me explain what is now obvious to me ...

The focal distance on a regular rear-view mirror is suited for long-distance eyeglasses, so I can look out the front window and out the back (using the traditional mirror) equally effectively. However, the camera, while wonderful in its clarity and span of view, functions the same as a small computer screen, which for me means it requires me to remove my distance glasses, as my eyes cannot correct to see the screen with my distance glasses in place.

Well now, I just didn't figure on that situation !!

I can read fine without removing my glasses the electronic dashboard and main screen, but something about the rear view camera pixel logic, or some such, has me flummoxed to be able to see it well. And yes, I suppose bi-focals might help, but I have tried them and for driving I would rather just go with long view glasses.

So, I am just using the traditional rearview mirror. Live and learn ....... has anyone else experienced this surprise?

The following users liked this post:
Troyan2019 (11-12-2020)
Old 11-12-2020, 11:00 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 102 Likes on 74 Posts

Eye issues... I could focus on the mirror/screen in both configurations fine in the Defender ... I wear contacts . As I get older i find that focusing up close is getting worse.. I'm having difficulty at less than a foot so I'm not ready for reading glasses....yet .. if I take my contacts off I can focus much easier up close... but then everything past 4 feet is gone.

Old 11-12-2020, 12:59 PM
Drifting
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by TrioLRowner
I have seen the rear view camera recently mentioned a few times, and people are paying the JLR price to buy them as a stand-alone option -- me also, I did the same on my P300 110 S, for the obvious reasons.

But, what I have learned is my vision issues do not allow me to effectively use it. Let me explain what is now obvious to me ...

The focal distance on a regular rear-view mirror is suited for long-distance eyeglasses, so I can look out the front window and out the back (using the traditional mirror) equally effectively. However, the camera, while wonderful in its clarity and span of view, functions the same as a small computer screen, which for me means it requires me to remove my distance glasses, as my eyes cannot correct to see the screen with my distance glasses in place.

Well now, I just didn't figure on that situation !!

I can read fine without removing my glasses the electronic dashboard and main screen, but something about the rear view camera pixel logic, or some such, has me flummoxed to be able to see it well. And yes, I suppose bi-focals might help, but I have tried them and for driving I would rather just go with long view glasses.

So, I am just using the traditional rearview mirror. Live and learn ....... has anyone else experienced this surprise?
I have the same exact issue. At first I wasn't sure why the rear view video was bothersome...it shouldn't be as it is a bright, clear image. But after experimenting back and forth I realized my eyes had to refocus, which they don't need to do with the regular rear view mirror (or not noticeably). One of those things that I think is cool, but unless I am towing something large I will probably just leave it off.

Old 11-14-2020, 08:14 AM
Vin
Mudding
Received 63 Likes on 37 Posts

I find the view from the rear view camera is vastly superior to the mirror and have forced myself to use it exclusively. Regardless of whether one wears corrective lenses, your eyes have to refocus when looking at the rear view camera screen where they don’t when using a traditional mirror.

The reality is I usually just glance at the rear view and can get a sense of the traffic around me without allowing my eyes focus on the screen. Between the spare tire and the d-pillars, I can’t imagine having to rely solely on a mirror. Now if they would just move the screen down to sit on top of the dash we’d really be on to something.

The following users liked this post:
SlowRider239 (12-07-2020)