Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Reliabity - Good or Bad

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2021, 12:24 PM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Reliabity - Good or Bad

I want to buy a 2022 defender 110, 6 cy, but I'm concerned about the peoblems I've been hearing about. Please advise you experience with your new defender, both good and bad.
Thanks in advance.

Top Answer

06-30-2021, 11:42 AM
Kev M
Rock Crawling
Received 308 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by downshift
Interesting that no one has responded to this question. I was curious myself, as I was in your position a few months ago.
< Snipped a bunch of drivel>

(On the flip side, I realized I've been taking the reliability of my 4Runner for granted. I'm starting to appreciate that again.)
I find it interesting that someone who doesn't own one stuck around a forum to answer questions on it.

OP - I suspect no one has answered because it's not a real question. Or I should say it's not a question any of us can meaningfully answer.

It might as well be an oil thread.

Look I'm gonna oversimplify here but I'll explain later.

Basically your question boils down to the fact that when it comes to vehicles there are but two kinds of people:

* Enthusiasts who buy vehicles for the value of the experience they provide.

* Rationalists who buy vehicles for the value they perceive them to hold.

The latter group is filled with those who can suck the joy out of the room like a sponge just by entering. They buy the brand/model with the most consumer reports or JD powers blessings (despite flaws in the rating systems).

They will tout their decisions as some sort of beacon of better judgement. Look at how smart my decision is, think like me and you will be rewarded with the same greatness.

I don't prescribe to that philosophy simply because there are so many other things to enjoy about a vehicle that I refuse to let small statistical trends dictate what gives me joy.

No I'm an enthusiast. So much so that when it can't time to decide on my career (at fork road between the technical side of the automotive/motorcycle industry and a brewing apprenticeship), I chose to be an enthusiast at work too (ok I guess I was also enthusiastic about beer but one had to win).
​​​​​​
Decades into my career I have seen the dark underbelly of most brands of cars, trucks, motorcycles, and even marine engines.

I have seen the pillars of "reliability" give up the ghost too early and the "questionable" brands soldier on. I know full well that anything can (and will eventually) break. But many people make mountains out of mole hills. Today's vehicles are light years ahead of those from my childhood in reliability and ease of ownership.

I know that statistically most people are unlikely to find a nightmare in any major brand today. But if one did, one could always sell and move along.

Perhaps that's why my garage is filled with enthusiast's machines that have been so trouble-free.

The current fleet includes examples from:

JLRJeep
Ducati
HarleyandMoto Guzzi
So you simply have to decide which are you? An enthusiast or a rationalist. If you choose correctly, have fun. If you chose wrong, well I at least hope your decision is rewarded, if not rewarding.

​​​​​​

Old 06-30-2021, 10:56 AM
Drifting
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Interesting that no one has responded to this question. I was curious myself, as I was in your position a few months ago.

I ultimately decided not to get one. I realized this is not the vehicle for me. Yes, it's really cool, but the risk of problems would ruin the ownership experience for me. Even if I didn't have any problems, every time I got in it I would worry "is this the time something happens?" Every time I put it in reverse I'd wonder "is this the time the backup camera fails?" I'd be afraid to take it to the grocery store for fear I'd be stuck with bags full of ice cream, milk, eggs, and not be able to make the 5 miles home. Forget about taking it into the back country where there is no help for miles. Then there are the dealers. I'd constantly worry if this is the time they keep the car for two weeks and when I get it back the problem is still there.

No one can deny there are reliability concerns with the Defender (or anything from JLR for that matter). Only you can determine if it's worth the risk for you. For me, it's not.

That said, yes, I do think it's a really cool vehicle. I'm somewhat envious of those who can accept the risk and can experience the car for it's good points. But I know myself. I'll stick with my boring, out of date 4Runner. It's the right car for me. Again, you have to make the decision for yourself, no one can do that for you. Perhaps if the reliability improves over the years, I'll get one.

(On the flip side, I realized I've been taking the reliability of my 4Runner for granted. I'm starting to appreciate that again.)

Old 06-30-2021, 11:42 AM
Rock Crawling

I find it interesting that someone who doesn't own one stuck around a forum to answer questions on it.

OP - I suspect no one has answered because it's not a real question. Or I should say it's not a question any of us can meaningfully answer.

Look I'm gonna oversimplify here but I'll explain later.

Basically your question boils down to the fact that when it comes to vehicles there are but two kinds of people:

The latter group is filled with those who can suck the joy out of the room like a sponge just by entering. They buy the brand/model with the most consumer reports or JD powers blessings (despite flaws in the rating systems).

They will tout their decisions as some sort of beacon of better judgement. Look at how smart my decision is, think like me and you will be rewarded with the same greatness.

I don't prescribe to that philosophy simply because there are so many other things to enjoy about a vehicle that I refuse to let small statistical trends dictate what gives me joy.

No I'm an enthusiast. So much so that when it can't time to decide on my career (at fork road between the technical side of the automotive/motorcycle industry and a brewing apprenticeship), I chose to be an enthusiast at work too (ok I guess I was also enthusiastic about beer but one had to win).
​​​​​​
Decades into my career I have seen the dark underbelly of most brands of cars, trucks, motorcycles, and even marine engines.

I have seen the pillars of "reliability" give up the ghost too early and the "questionable" brands soldier on. I know full well that anything can (and will eventually) break. But many people make mountains out of mole hills. Today's vehicles are light years ahead of those from my childhood in reliability and ease of ownership.

I know that statistically most people are unlikely to find a nightmare in any major brand today. But if one did, one could always sell and move along.

Perhaps that's why my garage is filled with enthusiast's machines that have been so trouble-free.

The current fleet includes examples from:

JLRJeep
Ducati
HarleyandMoto Guzzi
So you simply have to decide which are you? An enthusiast or a rationalist. If you choose correctly, have fun. If you chose wrong, well I at least hope your decision is rewarded, if not rewarding.

​​​​​​

The following 12 users liked this post by Kev M:
AliP (06-30-2021), Bsooudi (07-20-2021), catman (06-30-2021), drcoop (06-30-2021), GrouseK9 (07-01-2021), majl (06-30-2021), MattEvan (06-30-2021), Mechano2020 (07-02-2021), MrBreeze (06-30-2021), qriffle (02-09-2022), swajames (06-30-2021), TheMoke (06-30-2021) and 7 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 06-30-2021, 11:59 AM
Drifting
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Kev M

​​​​​
What about people who are both? I own one vehicle in each category. The one I rely on for long trips, venturing into the back country, falls into the rationalist category. I also have a Cayman, it most certainly falls into the enthusiast category. It serves no purpose but to bring joy to the driving experience. It's the one that takes the long way home after running an errand.

I stick around this forum because I am part enthusiast. I also have a rational side. I suspect most of us are this way.

The OP will need to make the decision for himself, that's all I'm saying. Is this purchase something for his rational side or his enthusiast side? Only he can answer that.

Last edited by downshift; 06-30-2021 at 12:11 PM.
The following users liked this post:
AliP (06-30-2021)
Old 06-30-2021, 12:06 PM
Drifting
Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

I'll just say that although I've only had my 2022 P400 X-Dynamic HSE for just under 2 weeks now, I love it so far and have no issues or regrets. It's really fun to drive and just like my old Freelander did 20 years ago, it makes me happy each time I see it.
And from what I see in my own neck of the woods, people aren't shying away from buying JLR vehicles in general. Haven't seen too many new Defenders near me yet, but there is certainly no shortage of other LR models - I see at least a couple every time I drive anywhere.

Bsooudi (07-20-2021)
Old 06-30-2021, 12:19 PM
Rock Crawling

What about people who are both? I own one vehicle in each category. The one I rely on for long trips, venturing into the back country, falls into the rationalist category. I also have a Cayman, it most certainly falls into the enthusiast category. It serves no purpose but to bring joy to the driving experience. It's the one that takes the long way home after running an errand.

I stick around this forum because I am part enthusiast. I also have a rational side. I suspect most of us are this way.

The OP will need to make the decision for himself, that's all I'm saying. Is this purchase something for his rational side or his enthusiast side? Only he can answer that.
I did say I was over-simplifying.

But honestly, unless you're talking someplace a hundred miles from a cell phone signal, I don't buy it.

And I honestly don't think the 4Runner is any less likely to strand me than my Wrangler or our P400. Not by any statically significant variant.

But I'm the type of guy who sets out across the country on an Italian motorcycle...

Old 06-30-2021, 12:31 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,403 Likes on 689 Posts

What about people who are both? I own one vehicle in each category. The one I rely on for long trips, venturing into the back country, falls into the rationalist category. I also have a Cayman, it most certainly falls into the enthusiast category. It serves no purpose but to bring joy to the driving experience..
Yabbut, a Cayman is the rational sportscar choice (at least the 981; but 982s are looking to be very solid as well, save the questionable 4.0s these last few months.) If you want to have a blast AND have an extremely reliable sportscar, hard to beat the Cayman. I've only got 16,000 on my 981 GT4 but it has been literally perfect, and has a good number of track days on it as well.

So... we have to stick you right back in the Rationalist camp for choosing a Cayman. You need to trade it on an Elise or a 4C or an F-Type if you want to ditch that label.

Old 06-30-2021, 12:40 PM
Overlanding
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Badbee
I want to buy a 2022 defender 110, 6 cy, but I'm concerned about the peoblems I've been hearing about. Please advise you experience with your new defender, both good and bad.
Thanks in advance.
90% of this entire forum is people talking about the good and the bad experiences with the Defender. Read through it like the rest of us, keeping in mind that people with complaints tend to be louder (post more)than content people.

GrouseK9 (07-01-2021)
Old 06-30-2021, 12:40 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,403 Likes on 689 Posts

As for the OP, statistically, as I like to say, it's only because Land Rover exists that Fiat/Dodge/Chrysler/Jeep don't own all four of the bottom slots of JD Power. And as a 7-year Wrangler owner who experienced the only truly unreliable new car I've ever bought in my life, I don't feel like I'm taking any bigger chances with the 110. The most egregious: Motor dropped a valve seat into Piston No. 6 and grenaded, while I was 12 miles from a roadhead in the backcountry of SE Utah, outside of Arches NP. There's Downshift's biggest fear right there, and I've already lived it! (See pic) AND... it was the first and ONLY time my wife has ever off-roaded with me! Seriously. I was in Moab with it for 3 weeks, she flew out and spent the second week with me, this happened on Wednesday. After an hour an old TJ Wrangler came by with 4 20-somethings in it, I threw them a tow rope and they pulled us for an hour back to the road. Jeep flatbedded it to Grand Junction, put in a new long-block, and trucked it back to Atlanta for me. I could have avoided this disaster altogether by not buying the Jeep in the first place, along with the other years of wonderful adventures I had with it. Glad I didn't.

The following 7 users liked this post by NoGaBiker:
AliP (07-01-2021), bobbyz95 (07-02-2021), Bsooudi (07-20-2021), GrouseK9 (07-01-2021), MrBreeze (06-30-2021), PaulLR (07-01-2021), TheMoke (06-30-2021) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 06-30-2021, 12:42 PM
Mudding
Received 164 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by Kev M

​​​​​​
Totally agree. could not have said better

Although I am an expat Brit in the US, I had never actually sat in, let alone driven a Land Rover until about 8-9 years ago. I bought a 2011 supercharged Range Rover Sport. Kept it longer than any other car. Wife had first gen F-Pace (admittedly the early versions of the InControl sw were pretty crap). She replaced the F-Pace with a Velar and I replaced the RRS with the Defender last week. I think my wife may end up with a new RRS after the Velar. So I guess we are enthusiasts. None broke down. I could be lucky as I don't recall any of the 30+ cars I have owned (including a TVR that was hardly a champion of reliability) ever stranded me by the roadside or cost me a small fortune to fix. Someone else will have the opposite experience I'm sure. But it still will not answer the OP's question. I would say stay in your lane bro and stick with what you know if it concerns you.

The following 2 users liked this post by TheMoke:
Bsooudi (07-20-2021), DonMitsu (06-30-2021)

Quick Reply: Reliabity - Good or Bad