Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Remote start this morning / 2 observations

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2022, 11:39 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,165 Likes on 625 Posts
Default Remote start this morning / 2 observations

Have been playing about with the remote / climate start on my 2020 Defender 110 X this winter.

Today -- 29 degrees out. Car had sat since 6pm yesterday, so about 14 hours.

1) When I got in the car, the drivers heated seat was on level 2 (which I had it on yesterday afternoon driving around)
2) The front heated screen and rear heated screen were *not* on (but I have the auto screens set to on)

Nothing revolutionary but what is intriguing about this is the heated seat has NEVER been on before with a climate start (and we all wish it did).... and the front and rear screens are normally always on when it's in the 30's or below.

Does the front / rear screen use the rain sensor? Normally there's some mist or ice or wetness on the windshield, it was bone dry this morning. I wonder if it also uses the rain sensor in addition to temperature to determine if it automatically goes on.

Anyway, no idea what's going on but the heated seat being on was a nice surprise.

Old 01-24-2022, 12:12 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

I am glad you posted this. Ours has NEVER had the heated seat on or steering wheel. I have looked thru the settings but didn't see anything regarding these two things specifically. Is there some option I am missing? It has been about a year since looking, as its not my daily driver and its usually in the garage. Just seems like common sense when its 20 degrees outside, these would be on when remote starting it. 2020 10 SE here with winter package.

Old 01-24-2022, 02:10 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 231 Likes on 141 Posts

Yea I've had no luck getting heated seats, steering wheel or windshield to come on with remote climate. I'm not aware of any way to get those to come on remotely. It's very frustrating in weather that lately is near zero degrees fahrenheit every morning. When I actually get in and tap the brake it turns off the remote climate, then at that point the heated seats do come on (late to the party) ... and only then if they were also turned on when I last shut off the engine, so plan ahead. The heated windshield only comes on sometimes, I have it on auto but it seems to work in automatic only intermittently (even when it's is brutally cold). Manually it works ok. Maybe in auto it's 'looking' at the outside temperature the vehicle shows to determine when to switch itself on. That temperature is off by as much as 30 degrees sometimes. In any event, none of these extra heated features seem to work with remote climate, just the heat from the blower. I had that set for the highest setting this morning it was 3 degrees outside, I let it run for 30 mins, got in and ambient temp was barely warm, the seat was still cool. So sometimes the remote climate is decent that's about all I can say for it, a lot better than the Audi Q5 I leased which was a great car but had no remote start option.

The whole remote climate feature has disappointed me so far. Maybe they can improve upon it with updates to firmware and the app. It was one of the big reasons why I bought the Defender with the cold climate pack. OP if you had the seats turn on during a remote climate session that's very interesting. Did you get a software upgrade recently?

Last edited by Chief65; 01-24-2022 at 06:33 PM.
Old 01-25-2022, 12:36 AM
Pro Wrench

Nope - no recent updates. I did remote start this afternoon and heated seat(s) not on. Thoroughly confused.

The *only* change to the car is a Dashcam installed using a Powerfuluk harness that neatly grabs power from the overhead console.

Old 01-31-2022, 05:20 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 61 Likes on 33 Posts

Are your heated screens set to come on automatically in the climate settings?

Old 01-31-2022, 05:37 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 63 Likes on 28 Posts

Jeep has one of the best cold weather packs/systems. It's incredible how well a heated steering wheel essentially heats your whole body. I routinely forget/neglect to turn the heat in the car warmer when the steering wheel is on. You simply don't need it.

Jeep's system automatically turns on the windshield defroster, the heated steering wheel, and the driver's side heated seat if it's 39 or under.

The following 2 users liked this post by Drewes:
Chief65 (01-31-2022), nashvegas (01-31-2022)
Old 01-31-2022, 08:23 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 634 Likes on 381 Posts

I agree, what is the point of remote starting the Defender on a 2 degree day like today if you can't turn on the heated seats and steering wheel from the remote app.

I guess the main feature of the LR remote app is being able to fold down or fold up the powered rear seats on a Discovery 5.

The following 2 users liked this post by PaulLR:
Chief65 (01-31-2022), GrouseK9 (01-31-2022)
Old 01-31-2022, 10:05 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 417 Likes on 171 Posts

I live in Austin so hardly ever use this. I was in Colorado for a week and tried it out and found what other people were saying here. Not sure helpful compared to other vehicles I have had in the past.

Man... my 2019 Vovlo XC60 was awesome for remote starts You could also set a schedule for the car to start and cool which I used to have run everyday at 5 pm when leaving the office. Helped a lot on the 100+ degree days. Hopefully LR adds this feature soon.

The following users liked this post:
Chief65 (01-31-2022)
Old 01-31-2022, 12:18 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 231 Likes on 141 Posts

Due to an issue with my iphone I went and updated all of the apps in one shot yesterday. I noticed there was an update for the LR remote app. I was hopeful there would be some new options such as turning on the heated seats, heated steeling wheel or heated wind'screen' but no, from what I can tell everything looks just the same. Maybe it's more reliable connecting to the servers, that would be a good first step as re-entering all of my login info every third day got old fast. JLR should really up their game because others are doing this remote climate stuff much better. I've heard before now and heard it again in this thread, the US brands are doing this much better and likely for a lot less money. Granted you have Audi beat, no remote start at all with them due to some German laws which should have zero to do with everywhere else, but go figure. Could add that as aftermarket but not when leasing.

Last edited by Chief65; 01-31-2022 at 12:20 PM.
Old 01-31-2022, 02:02 PM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by Dan Hairy
Are your heated screens set to come on automatically in the climate settings?
Yes - can confirm that they are set to come on automatically -- and they have been doing so consistently lately when it's below freezing.