2020 Defender Talk about the new 2020 Land Rover Defender
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replaced the Defender 110 X-Dynamic for....

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2022, 11:19 AM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MrBreeze
You know your stuff well and any choice there are trade offs, so it obviously comes down to what is highest on the priority list. Regarding the choice between the Pentastar V6 and the Hemi V8 in the GC - I've got the 3.6 Pentastar in the 2021 Wrangler JKU and on the trails it is fine, but it felt a bit weak and strained when I was running 35" tires on the highway (before I went with 1 ton axles and 40" tires) It is a perfectly fine and proven engine, but for me, since I do tow and wanted a smoother, more powerful engine it was an easy decision to go with the Hemi. Now the mileage suffers and now that we are seeing gas prices escalate, it is a consideration as I have yet to break 20mpg, but hopefully later this year I'll have a Lucid Air so as not to feel to bad about killing the planet with my Hemi. Regarding the electronics - I can't speak to long-term, but so far, no issues with anything. As you know from your experience with past GC's - there's a risk of having issues, no different than my experience with the Defender - little gremlins that made me frustrated with day-to-day driving, and I did wonder how it will be long-term. Until you make a decision, have fun with your sweet Raptor and the Defender rental!
Thanks for the input! I should have added that we have a Tesla MY for around the town, short trips, and warmer weather longer trips. The Raptor replacement is really for longer trips and cold weather/snowy journeys. I think a hemi makes total sense for me, we will likely have occasional need to tow a U-Haul trailer, etc. Have you found the night vision to be useful? I have never had a vehicle with night vision or HUD - both seem useful to me, but maybe in reality no big deal.

Old 03-06-2022, 12:23 PM
Mudding
Received 67 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Teledatageek
Thanks for the input! I should have added that we have a Tesla MY for around the town, short trips, and warmer weather longer trips. The Raptor replacement is really for longer trips and cold weather/snowy journeys. I think a hemi makes total sense for me, we will likely have occasional need to tow a U-Haul trailer, etc. Have you found the night vision to be useful? I have never had a vehicle with night vision or HUD - both seem useful to me, but maybe in reality no big deal.
Sounds like you've got a great set up - the EV for everyday driving around town and the Raptor for your extended trips, bugging out and inclimate weather.
I've only used night vision a couple times just to "see" what it "sees" - not sure how much I'll use it in urban/suburban daily driving, but certainly in more rural areas. I'm from Minnesota before moving to AZ, and there are a lot of deer around - particularly in the fall during the rut and there is a lot of movement - so I can see where this would be a nice feature.
The jury is out on if I will use the HUD regularly. I find it both convenient and unnecessary.