Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Reverse LED's install and weird discovery

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2021, 08:42 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 238 Likes on 97 Posts
Default Reverse LED's install and weird discovery

Installed Powerful UK's Reverse light LED's and WOW, do they make a difference in the pitifully dim reverse lights and the available light now for the reverse camera! As always, they have two videos that make the install easy. I must admit, its a little un-nerving pulling hard and popping these tail-light corner pieces of your expensive new vehicle, but I didn't even break or loose any clips and they went back on just fine! I used these handy little connectors to make the wiring connections to the provided loom and they worked great ( Solder Seal Wire Connectors).

One interesting discovery was some type of antenna that is connected to the left tail-light cover and attached to just inside the cover. A coaxial or optical type wire runs to it, and although it can be disconnected, I didn't bother as the tail-light cover could still swing out of the way for the install. This wasn't on Powerful UK's Defender and I didn't expect it when popping off the cover. Here's a photo of the antenna, any ideas? ...and my new reverse LED's.

The following 3 users liked this post by drcoop:
GavinC (01-01-2022), TheMoke (12-30-2021), XCELLER8 (12-30-2021)
Old 12-29-2021, 10:24 PM
Mudding
Received 270 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by drcoop
One interesting discovery was some type of antenna that is connected to the left tail-light cover and attached to just inside the cover.
Radio antenna - Cell phone signal booster (GrouseK9 below).

Last edited by dj200; 12-31-2021 at 09:02 PM.
The following users liked this post:
drcoop (12-30-2021)
Old 12-30-2021, 06:27 AM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by dj200
Radio antenna - FM or AM not sure which.

https://landroverforums.com/forum/20...sensor-107398/
Thanks! That's it.

Old 12-31-2021, 08:40 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,279 Likes on 764 Posts

@drcoop - I did the same thing to mine. It's on some other thread I'm too tired/lazy to find. After a lot of searching and a parts buddy helping me out, we determined that it is the cell booster antennae that's hooked up to the wireless charger. It's a little known fact that when you use the wireless charger, it connects you to a cell booster. That is in the left corner trim. Shared with Simon in some back & forth e-mails and he thought it probably was. I pulled mine off and then re-connected it using 3M trim tape because I was simultaneously changing those panels for the cheap as crap looking black diamond plate ones.

I agree that those LED's are AWESOME. So I've been deeply bummed that I had to remove my left one when I installed the Lucky8/Rhino rear ladder. That was the largest sacrifice!

Old 01-01-2022, 10:23 AM
Winching
Received 653 Likes on 318 Posts

Originally Posted by GrouseK9
@drcoop - I did the same thing to mine. It's on some other thread I'm too tired/lazy to find. After a lot of searching and a parts buddy helping me out, we determined that it is the cell booster antennae that's hooked up to the wireless charger. It's a little known fact that when you use the wireless charger, it connects you to a cell booster. That is in the left corner trim. Shared with Simon in some back & forth e-mails and he thought it probably was. I pulled mine off and then re-connected it using 3M trim tape because I was simultaneously changing those panels for the cheap as crap looking black diamond plate ones.

I agree that those LED's are AWESOME. So I've been deeply bummed that I had to remove my left one when I installed the Lucky8/Rhino rear ladder. That was the largest sacrifice!
Thanks for the positive review, I just ordered the LED reverse lights after watching PowerfulUK’s video. The original lights don’t provide much illumination in a dark environment. And they add something to the look of the vehicle. Can’t wait to install them.

drcoop (01-01-2022)
Old 01-04-2022, 12:12 PM
Winching
Received 165 Likes on 116 Posts

did you order the single color all white? i got the white and amber. the amber does not work with the hazards on or at all. followed their videos. must be some differences between the euro spec and US spec

Originally Posted by drcoop
Installed Powerful UK's Reverse light LED's and WOW, do they make a difference in the pitifully dim reverse lights and the available light now for the reverse camera! As always, they have two videos that make the install easy. I must admit, its a little un-nerving pulling hard and popping these tail-light corner pieces of your expensive new vehicle, but I didn't even break or loose any clips and they went back on just fine! I used these handy little connectors to make the wiring connections to the provided loom and they worked great ( Solder Seal Wire Connectors).

One interesting discovery was some type of antenna that is connected to the left tail-light cover and attached to just inside the cover. A coaxial or optical type wire runs to it, and although it can be disconnected, I didn't bother as the tail-light cover could still swing out of the way for the install. This wasn't on Powerful UK's Defender and I didn't expect it when popping off the cover. Here's a photo of the antenna, any ideas? ...and my new reverse LED's.

Old 01-04-2022, 02:07 PM
Rock Crawling

Just ordered the all white LED lights. I was only really after the increase in light for backing up.

Old 01-05-2022, 10:35 AM
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did the PowerfulUK white only install on my wife’s Defender, Delores, and what a difference… she is very happy with the mod.

GrouseK9 (01-05-2022)
Old 01-05-2022, 03:34 PM
5th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I ordered white and red and same thing. White reverse works fine. Red for "turn signal" nothing. I'm guessing some differences in wiring, was going to reach out to Simon but haven't yet.

Old 01-05-2022, 03:40 PM
Winching
Received 165 Likes on 116 Posts

this the response i got from them. i have no idea how to mess with electrical so haven’t done anything since

Originally Posted by jzawid
I ordered white and red and same thing. White reverse works fine. Red for "turn signal" nothing. I'm guessing some differences in wiring, was going to reach out to Simon but haven't yet.

Quick Reply: Reverse LED's install and weird discovery