Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Reverse LED's install and weird discovery

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2022, 05:46 PM
Winching
Received 611 Likes on 291 Posts

Originally Posted by jzawid
I ordered white and red and same thing. White reverse works fine. Red for "turn signal" nothing. I'm guessing some differences in wiring, was going to reach out to Simon but haven't yet.
I have the all white on order, which take a feed from the factory reverse lights, thereby increasing the amount of white light produced when in reverse. From watching PowerfulUK’s vids numerous times, it appears that the combination white/red, when connected to the pigtail harness, will use the four white LED’s when reversing, and the two red LED’s when the hazards are on. In the UK, watching his vid, the hazards flash amber, so that market would purchase the white/amber combo. Four white LED’s light when in reverse, and two ambers take a feed from the wiring loom off the hazards and flash the two ambers in conjunction with the vehicles emergency hazard lights. The all white have two wires, 12V+, and 12V-, or ground. The combo LED lights have three wires, 12V+, from the reverse light feed, 12V+ from the hazard feed, activating red in the US, amber in the UK, and 12V-, or ground. At least that what I took from his video. I’ll watch it again to confirm, but that’s my understanding.

Old 01-06-2022, 08:43 AM
5th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

It should work the way he has it labeled in his video+ on his site. However, it doesn't even though I wired it that way. I had actually read about people having issues with it prior to installing (here and on youtube) so when I had installed drivers side I actually checked prior to installing passenger side and already knew it wasn't working. However when I was doing install it was already late in evening so I figured I'll get back to it someday and play with it to see which cable is correct in the USA.

Old 01-17-2022, 06:25 PM
Mudding
Received 46 Likes on 26 Posts

I'm attempting this today. Removing those trim pieces is a bear but I was able to get them off with minimal paint scratching. I'm stuck on the tail light electrical connectors. Usually you press and wiggle them free. Mine are absolutely stuck. Are there any tricks for stuck connectors?

ETA: I have a ton of dust from desert trips. I have tried cleaning with dry toothbrush and a ton of dust comes from the connector interface. I’m guessing I need compressed air / electrical contact cleaner or some type of lubricant to get these free.

Last edited by Bjs1234; 01-17-2022 at 07:00 PM.
Old 01-17-2022, 07:20 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,167 Likes on 627 Posts

Has anyone just installed one side of this (and not both?). I was thinking I might just install the drivers side all-white version and skip the passenger side (US model)?

Old 01-17-2022, 07:44 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,255 Likes on 747 Posts

@nashvegas - I'd recommend putting it on the passenger side. First, if you ever want a Rhino/Lucky8 ladder, it goes on the left and you'll lose it. It happened to me! I loved them and now without the driver side I feel blind again. Boy they really helped. Also, in the US, depending on which trim you have, there's an antenna on that side further making it a PITA. If one side, I would vote right (US Passenger).

Old 01-17-2022, 07:50 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,167 Likes on 627 Posts

How funny. I totally *do* want that ladder eventually when I get an expedition rack -- and just remembered reading a post (which turns out to be yours).

Old 01-22-2022, 05:09 PM
Mudding

On getting the connectors unstuck -- it took a ton of time with compressed air, electrical contact cleaner, and some lubricant -- but we were finally able to get them free.

Now that it's connected, I am running into the same issue with the white + red indicator version of this. The reverse lights work fine but the indicators do not. While disappointing, I would rather not redo this exercise an am prepared to live with reverse only. Is anyone else doing this? I guess I'm worried there could be a fault caused by running it this way.

Old 01-22-2022, 06:28 PM
Mudding
Received 147 Likes on 83 Posts

For NA spec, the gray wire is the indicator. I got the white + amber so it looks a little goofy with red and yellow flashers (it was the only one in stock the day i decided to buy). The gray wire is the one you want though.

The following users liked this post:
Bjs1234 (01-22-2022)
Old 01-22-2022, 06:30 PM
Mudding

Thanks for the info that Gray, not Orange, is the indicator. I’ve unfortunately already clipped that wire back… now to see if I can undo the tape on the loom and make it work.

Old 01-22-2022, 07:50 PM
Winching
Received 559 Likes on 252 Posts

Originally Posted by GrouseK9
@nashvegas - I'd recommend putting it on the passenger side. First, if you ever want a Rhino/Lucky8 ladder, it goes on the left and you'll lose it. It happened to me! I loved them and now without the driver side I feel blind again. Boy they really helped. Also, in the US, depending on which trim you have, there's an antenna on that side further making it a PITA. If one side, I would vote right (US Passenger).
Friend of mine got a bracket fabricated by the installer of his Lucky 8 ladder, so he would not lose that backup light. Galpin Auto Sports (a local custom shop owned by a large LR dealer here in SoCal) did a pretty slick job, actually.

Last edited by umbertob; 01-22-2022 at 09:01 PM.

Quick Reply: Reverse LED's install and weird discovery