Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

selling my 2023 Defender

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2022, 02:28 PM
Drifting
Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
Default selling my 2023 Defender

Question, am I making a mistake? I am selling my 2023 White Defender 110 with white steel wheels, air suspension, cold weather package, large nav screen, white dash, perfect condition, 5,900 miles right now located in Northshore of Chicago. I can get a tesla in the next 10 days. The first person to pay $62,000 gets it. (same value as trade-in to tesla with tax benefits) I hate to let Tesla make the money on the resale and would rather it go to a Forum member. I have loved both of my Defenders but want to try out an electric and are waiting for LR to make and electric hybrid Defender before I come back in. Let me know. Here is a link to some photos and window sticker https://photos.app.goo.gl/BSpGLNqUxeN4TCNY8

Last edited by Pdflrd; 11-23-2022 at 10:35 AM. Reason: clean up
The following users liked this post:
MattF (11-23-2022)
Old 11-23-2022, 06:55 AM
8th Gear
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Pdflrd
I am selling my 2023 White Defender 110 with white steel wheels, air suspension, cold weather package, large nav screen, perfect condition, 5,900 miles right now. I am getting a tesla in the next 10 days. The first person to pay $62,000 gets it. (same value as trade-in to tesla with tax benefits) I hate to let Tesla make the money on the resale and would rather it go to a Forum member. I have loved both of my Defenders but want to try out an electric and are waiting for LR to make and electric hybrid Defender before I come back in. Let me know.
Good luck with the sale, nice of you to offer it to a forum member. I went the other way. Traded in my 2022 MYP for a Defender 110 (still on order) after owning the tesla for a couple months and about 1800 miles. Teslas are nice commuting appliances, with excellent tech and intuitive controls. I'm sure you know this, but fair warning that realistic range from 100% to 0% SOC is about 60-70% of advertised range on the highway, and your real world range will be even less than that because you'll generally not want to go below 10-15% SOC, and want to avoid charging over 90% SOC to minimize battery degradation. And if you live in the northern part of the country or in drive through colder climates often (mountains etc.) your range will take an even bigger hit.

That's not a Tesla problem, all EVs are like this. But there should be 4 range ratings, city and highway in perfect conditions and city and highway in cold temperatures.

I would buy another tesla in a heartbeat, but the best one to buy is the cheapest model 3 standard range for putting around town as a second car, in my humble opinion.

Not trying to be a Debbie Downer, just making sure you know what you're getting into! I've found a lot of tesla owners to be pure apologists that can't admit the faults of the product. Also, resale values have been plummeting in the last couple of months, it will cost you if you decide it's not for you and trade it in.

Last edited by HAL9000; 11-23-2022 at 07:08 AM.
The following 4 users liked this post by HAL9000:
cfw3rd (11-25-2022), EasternShoreDefender (11-23-2022), jrjunior41 (06-25-2024), jusmax88 (11-23-2022)
Old 11-23-2022, 07:45 AM
Mudding
Received 125 Likes on 75 Posts

Seems like a great price---what was your MSRP? I assume that it is an S given the price but curious as to how you got the large screen on an S.

Old 11-23-2022, 10:15 AM
Drifting
Default selling 2023 Defender Photos and window sticker

Here is a link to the photos and window sticker fo those who asked. I am picking up the Tesla on Nov 30th so I need to have my deal done with buyer then. I'm in Northshore of Chicago. Here is a link to more photos https://photos.app.goo.gl/BSpGLNqUxeN4TCNY8

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
LR Sticker wo.pdf (1.35 MB, 71 views)
Old 11-23-2022, 10:18 AM
Mudding
Received 125 Likes on 75 Posts

A fairly unique build (no sunroof) and also that he was able to get the 11.4 screen on an S model....things were clearly different in 2022!

curb-optional (06-25-2024)
Old 11-23-2022, 04:05 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 85 Likes on 40 Posts

My Tesla just tried to set itself on fire in my garage this weekend so make sure to brush up on how to disarm the vehicle since Tesla Emergency Roadside will not pick up their phone when it matters.

The following 3 users liked this post by mdgs:
jusmax88 (11-23-2022), Tartan (11-24-2022), WTFChuck (11-24-2022)
Old 11-23-2022, 04:56 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 211 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by mdgs
My Tesla just tried to set itself on fire in my garage this weekend so make sure to brush up on how to disarm the vehicle since Tesla Emergency Roadside will not pick up their phone when it matters.
Gee...do you have to disarm the car like you would do with a bomb, otherwise it will go off?? Better keep my "gas guzzler" Defender...

Old 11-23-2022, 11:16 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 418 Likes on 172 Posts

Ah, this is very similar to mine look wise! Kinda miss what it looked like before building it out. Pinging some friends on this and will let you know!

Old 11-24-2022, 02:03 PM
Drifting

This is my 2nd defender and it is perfect. I love it and will get another one when they start selling the hybrid in the US.

cfw3rd (11-25-2022)
Old 11-25-2022, 02:17 PM
4wd Low
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by HAL9000
Good luck with the sale, nice of you to offer it to a forum member. I went the other way. Traded in my 2022 MYP for a Defender 110 (still on order) after owning the tesla for a couple months and about 1800 miles. Teslas are nice commuting appliances, with excellent tech and intuitive controls. I'm sure you know this, but fair warning that realistic range from 100% to 0% SOC is about 60-70% of advertised range on the highway, and your real world range will be even less than that because you'll generally not want to go below 10-15% SOC, and want to avoid charging over 90% SOC to minimize battery degradation. And if you live in the northern part of the country or in drive through colder climates often (mountains etc.) your range will take an even bigger hit.

That's not a Tesla problem, all EVs are like this. But there should be 4 range ratings, city and highway in perfect conditions and city and highway in cold temperatures.

I would buy another tesla in a heartbeat, but the best one to buy is the cheapest model 3 standard range for putting around town as a second car, in my humble opinion.

Not trying to be a Debbie Downer, just making sure you know what you're getting into! I've found a lot of tesla owners to be pure apologists that can't admit the faults of the product. Also, resale values have been plummeting in the last couple of months, it will cost you if you decide it's not for you and trade it in.
Nice reply here, with plenty of level-headed valuable insight. Coming from a prior MY owner, I can attest to all the information above. I LOVED my Tesla. But it is most certainly the best daily commuter on the planet from an intuitive standpoint. That's kind of where it ends in its current state. Add to the range discussion: roof racks, bike racks, etc. Those will hit the range significantly.

The Tesla catalyst to the auto market is a blessing for all of us, in the long run. At the moment, it's still a work in progress with a phenomenal foundation that it continues to build off of. To that end, I absolutely have my name in line for the CyberTruck (go ahead...laugh it up. Haha!). But I LOVE my Defender. I timed my trade-in very well, and got more than I paid for it after tax benefits...but this won't continue as supply catches up with demand.

Don't let anyone on here tell you how to proceed. Only you know what will be best for you. Just make sure you fully work through the scenarios. I might suggest stalling on the process a bit? Let the market settle out over the next few months? Could be interesting...

Don't let the "outlier" stories scare you, either. Tesla's have and will catch fire. So will ICE vehicles. But it's not like Teslas are just driving down the road spontaneously exploding. Land Rover isn't exactly known for reliability either (if we're all being honest with each other ). Drive what you love. Life is short. I look forward to getting in my Defender every time I drive somewhere for the ethereal experience. I looked forward to driving the Y from the ease of use, virtually zero cost of ownership, and lack of need to stop by disgusting gas stations. Both are rewarding vehicles, just for very different reasons...

Best of luck to you either way! Hope you and your family have safe and happy holidays.

Quick Reply: selling my 2023 Defender