Sponsored by:

Setting the tow ball height

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2022, 09:45 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 216 Likes on 110 Posts
Default Setting the tow ball height

I'm not certain on how to interpret these specifications from the user manual:
The maximum recommended length is 6.9 in (175 mm).
The maximum recommended ball height is:
· Coil suspension: -0.6 in (-15 mm).
· Air suspension: 1.3 in (35 mm).
For air suspension, is this stating the top of the ball can be no more than 1.3 inches above the hitch receiver centerline or can be no more than 1.3 inches below the centerline? I'm thinking below, but I need a sanity check.

Last edited by POPTOPP; 11-01-2022 at 09:49 AM.
Old 11-02-2022, 11:53 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 697 Likes on 405 Posts

The vertical measurement is from the center of hole where the pin is located to the point on the ball where the circumference is the farthest aft. It is unfortunate the picture has the top of the ball corresponding to the centerline of the pin hole. That adds unnecessary confusion.

I read the requirement for the coil suspension is to have the measuring point on the ball (as described above) to be not more than 0.6 inches above the centerline of the pin hole (as described above). The hitch point and the trailer hitch will lower when under load.

I read the requirement for the air suspension is to have the measuring point on the ball (as described above) to be not lower than 1.3 inches below the centerline of the pin hole (as described above). The hitch point and the trailer hitch will rise when the load leveling occurs at both the front and rear axles.

I expect the reason for the differences is to place the trailer hitch at the same distance above the ground when in use.

Both distances are measured with no load on the ball.

Enjoy !

Last edited by TrioLRowner; 11-02-2022 at 12:04 PM.
The following users liked this post:
POPTOPP (11-03-2022)
Old 11-02-2022, 01:48 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,244 Likes on 741 Posts

THIS is why I troll this forum: I learn something new all the time. Thanks, @TrioLRowner !

Old 11-02-2022, 02:39 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 2,292 Likes on 948 Posts

Isn't the height of the ball going to be dictated by the height of the trailer's coupler?

I have a variable hitch for this reason, as I just rent trailers and don't know what height each one will be at.

I guess in an ideal scenario you'd tailor your trailer design to fit into the tow vehicle's design constraints but this isn't possible most of the time.

Maybe I'm way off track here.

Last edited by GavinC; 11-02-2022 at 02:41 PM.
GrouseK9 (11-03-2022)
Old 11-02-2022, 04:04 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 697 Likes on 405 Posts

Gavin C:

Yes, we in North America view our hitching up and going differently than in the UK, I expect (maybe?).

I believe the JLR approach in creating this specification is to ensure the pulling force axially imparted by the trailer is not moved a far vertical distance from the pin (so to not overload the vehicle with a twisting moment at the back of the vehicle), while at the same time giving equivalent performance for the same trailer on the air suspension and coil spring versions of the Defender -- while of course the owner stays within the tongue weight limit.

The UK version of a trailer hitch is not adjustable, I suspect; so they think, I suppose, that what they specify is what is needed.

Unlike in North America., I would not be surprised if in the U.K. the trailer manufacturers all must mount their hitch at the same height? Just guessing.

Enjoy !!

GavinC (11-02-2022)
Old 11-02-2022, 04:10 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 2,292 Likes on 948 Posts

Originally Posted by TrioLRowner
Gavin C:

Yes, we in North America view our hitching up and going differently than in the UK, I expect (maybe?).

I believe the JLR approach in creating this specification is to ensure the pulling force axially imparted by the trailer is not moved a far vertical distance from the pin (so to not overload the vehicle with a twisting moment at the back of the vehicle), while at the same time giving equivalent performance for the same trailer on the air suspension and coil spring versions of the Defender -- while of course the owner stays within the tongue weight limit.

The UK version of a trailer hitch is not adjustable, I suspect; so they think, I suppose, that what they specify is what is needed.

Unlike in North America., I would not be surprised if in the U.K. the trailer manufacturers all must mount their hitch at the same height? Just guessing.

Enjoy !!
Yeah. That's so of my thinking on the LR specs. The UK/EU have he deployable tow ball which I guess will be mirrored by the US owner manual's measurements.

Thanks for the info.