Sponsored by:

Small rattle at Driver side B Pillar

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2022, 07:29 PM
Drifting
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Small rattle at Driver side B Pillar

Hi everyone,

Last week I started to get a small rattle coming from the B-pillar (Driver side), right where the seat belt is. It’s comes only at low speed (10-60 km/hr). More prominent on micro bumps on the road. Any suggestions? I’m just trying to avoid a trip to the dealer.

thanks.

Old 04-10-2022, 09:45 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,394 Likes on 688 Posts

Subscribed. I’ve had it since approximately Day 2. You describe it well. I just hit 10,000 miles and its no louder but it’s more easily triggered (nano-bumps now?) Also, the same sound has migrated to the pax-side B-pillar.

I loathe taking cars in for rattles, but I guess at some point I’ll have them look at it. Unless somebody else has solved it and I can do it myself.

The following 2 users liked this post by NoGaBiker:
GrouseK9 (04-11-2022), makristal (10-19-2022)
Old 04-13-2022, 03:22 PM
Winching
Received 124 Likes on 109 Posts

If it isn't under warranty then don't go to the dealer go to an auto body shop - they know rattles much better than the dealer unless there is a bulleton on it

The following 2 users liked this post by disco96sd:
bsf (11-25-2023), GrouseK9 (04-15-2022)
Old 04-15-2022, 10:59 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 70 Likes on 38 Posts

@DefenderRR, is this a true rattle (hard surfaces bouncing of each other)? I had a noise more like tiki-tiki-tiki-tiki which was most noticeable on rough pavement or dirt roads. It was one of the 3 rubber seals where the front door engages with the B pillar complaining about being too dry. I cleaned the seals off with a clean paper towel, then worked some Honda Shin-Etsu grease into the seals and the noise went away. You can get it from Amazon. This grease seems to have just the right consistency, not too hard, not too soft.

Last edited by RH5555; 04-15-2022 at 11:01 AM. Reason: fix
Old 04-15-2022, 12:20 PM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by RH5555
@DefenderRR, is this a true rattle (hard surfaces bouncing of each other)? I had a noise more like tiki-tiki-tiki-tiki which was most noticeable on rough pavement or dirt roads. It was one of the 3 rubber seals where the front door engages with the B pillar complaining about being too dry. I cleaned the seals off with a clean paper towel, then worked some Honda Shin-Etsu grease into the seals and the noise went away. You can get it from Amazon. This grease seems to have just the right consistency, not too hard, not too soft.
That's a better description of my noise -- a fast paced ticking that's only heard on imperfect road surfaces.

I have a tube of Shin Etsu from my "trying to stop Wrangler top from leaking" days; I'll give it a try. MAN, if that's it you're my hero.

The following users liked this post:
makristal (10-19-2022)
Old 04-15-2022, 06:12 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by RH5555
Yes, it is like a tiki tik noise that you are describing. Lemme try the grease and get back.

Old 04-16-2022, 07:41 AM
Pro Wrench

I greased yesterday and did a short neighborhood drive on roads that did cause big low-speed tiki ticks before. It wasn’t totally gone but seemed to be greatly diminished. I’ve got to go out for a 20-ish minute drive in a few minutes. That will give me a better feel on a variety of road surfaces. So far I think I would rate the Shin-Etsu solution as getting rid of 80% of the sound. Oh, I also did the pax front door after my initial drive, so if it was contributing to what I heard yesterday this should remove it. Guess I should do the rears as well, even though what I’ve been hearing has definitely been right there in my left ear.

Old 04-16-2022, 11:27 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 70 Likes on 38 Posts

I greased all of the seals all the way round the doors (at least 3 per door - don't miss the one between the front and rear doors) and not just where the sound seemed to be coming from. I was impressed with the number of seals. @NoGaBiker, you must be on the right track if 80% of the sound is gone, keep at it!

Old 04-16-2022, 07:25 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 196 Likes on 112 Posts

I have the exact same thing since day one and I personally think it’s in the roof liner, sounds like a wire plug or something. It’s definitely not seals did all that already. I’d love to get into the liner but seems like a big task.

warkeld (10-18-2022)
Old 04-17-2022, 07:35 PM
Drifting

I got the gummi pflege today and applied it on all the seals on the doors and on the frame. Waited for couple of hours and went for a quick drive and the creaking is completely gone. If anyone is interested, this is what I got:

Amazon Amazon

Huc (08-08-2022)

Quick Reply: Small rattle at Driver side B Pillar