2020 Defender Talk about the new 2020 Land Rover Defender
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Small rattle at Driver side B Pillar

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2022, 09:22 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,394 Likes on 688 Posts

Okay, you guys are the best. As reported, I knocked 70-80% of the sound out with a thorough Shin-Etsy dousing of all of the front door seals. On the advice of this thread I ordered the Gummipfledge, but when I searched for it on Amazon (US)
This This
is what came up, so I ordered it. Thirteen bucks. It came the next day and I spread it today.

Just got back from a long drive over roads that always caused the tik-tik sound before and not a whisper now. It’s the best feeling knowing I’m not going to have to take it to the dealer, try and describe it, and have them take apart the door.

The following 4 users liked this post by NoGaBiker:
DefenderRR (04-21-2022), GrouseK9 (04-25-2022), Huc (08-08-2022), Seventh (06-24-2024)
Old 08-12-2022, 08:34 AM
Mudding
Received 75 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by NoGaBiker
Okay, you guys are the best. As reported, I knocked 70-80% of the sound out with a thorough Shin-Etsy dousing of all of the front door seals. On the advice of this thread I ordered the Gummipfledge, but when I searched for it on Amazon (US) This is what came up, so I ordered it. Thirteen bucks. It came the next day and I spread it today.

Just got back from a long drive over roads that always caused the tik-tik sound before and not a whisper now. It’s the best feeling knowing I’m not going to have to take it to the dealer, try and describe it, and have them take apart the door.
I am also getting a rattling noise in the drivers side area. Can you please take a picture of what you used the Gummipfledge on so I can do the same?

Thank you!

Old 08-14-2022, 12:48 AM
Winching
Received 161 Likes on 114 Posts

my car is currently at an car audio shop and most of my panels are being taken off. the installer mentioned two panels were not fully installed.

everything is held together with clips. you prob won’t be surprised that all you need to do is to push the panels and clips back into place

Originally Posted by Jrunr619
I am also getting a rattling noise in the drivers side area. Can you please take a picture of what you used the Gummipfledge on so I can do the same?

Thank you!

The following 2 users liked this post by Ehloo:
bsf (11-25-2023), Jrunr619 (08-14-2022)
Old 10-18-2022, 09:41 AM
Overlanding
Received 27 Likes on 10 Posts

I have the B Pillar Driver Side rattle. I also had the door seal creaks, which were solved by Silicone greasing the door and window seals, but the B Pillar rattle was not solved by the greasing. I took the Defender in twice to the dealership to fix the rattle, both times they insisted they found and fixed the issue, but it was back within days after both "fixes". The only think I have found to mediate the rattle, is to slide a credit card between the B-Pillar and the Headliner. The really interesting thing is that if fixes the rattle immediately, but after a day or so the rattle comes back. Then when I remove the card the rattle is gone for a week or two, at which point the rattle returns and I do the credit card trick again. I know this sounds completely illogical, but just has been my personal experience. Hopeful one of these days someone will figure out root cause and post on this tread.

Old 11-07-2023, 03:27 AM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OMG, this is exactly what I am having at the moment. Took the car to dealer four times and had both front and rear door opened (driver side). They said they fixed it. But it keeps coming back. Will give the Shin Etsu grease a go.
Originally Posted by RH5555
@DefenderRR, is this a true rattle (hard surfaces bouncing of each other)? I had a noise more like tiki-tiki-tiki-tiki which was most noticeable on rough pavement or dirt roads. It was one of the 3 rubber seals where the front door engages with the B pillar complaining about being too dry. I cleaned the seals off with a clean paper towel, then worked some Honda Shin-Etsu grease into the seals and the noise went away. You can get it from Amazon. This grease seems to have just the right consistency, not too hard, not too soft.

Old 11-08-2023, 01:33 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 55 Likes on 28 Posts

This is the only one that's been bothering me for a few years now. I expect the odd rattle but this one is right in my ear, and after trying all the theories proposed in various threads I thought I had nailed it today when I took off the B-pillar cover and discovered that the upper seatbelt anchor had a stopper washer that allowed the seat belt holder thingy to swivel freely, metal on metal, rattled solved with a rubber washer! But alas, no. I am now convinced that it must be one of the clips, the missing one or probably the upper ones behind the liner.

Last edited by VillaDazzler; 11-08-2023 at 02:51 AM.
The following users liked this post:
COBoarder (11-08-2023)
Old 11-08-2023, 02:36 PM
Overlanding
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I have the same rattle as described and similar to VillaDazzler it sounds like it emanates from the B Pillar (almost like hard plastic on metal ticking) - I've done the whole shin etsu thing and it improved overall cabin noise and sealing but did not address this B pillar noise.

I do notice that when I have any of my windows partly down they rattle a lot - does anyone else have this issue or are your windows solid and quite when partly down?

Cheers

Old 11-08-2023, 02:52 PM
Mudding
Received 125 Likes on 79 Posts

There is also a wiring harness that travels near the B Pillar in the roof that runs the cabin lights above the door. I wonder if some of those tap tap rattles is the harness touching either the roof or the backing of the headliner. I plan on removing the light and pulling on the harness to see if I can get the wires to move around and if that would solve it.

The following 2 users liked this post by chpsk8:
boranup (11-08-2023), VillaDazzler (11-08-2023)
Old 11-09-2023, 04:47 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 119 Likes on 81 Posts

Guys,
Put your window down 2-3” and with your finger tips grab the top of the window and wiggle it in and out like flexing the window. Does this replicate the ticking noise?

It does on mine.

Thanks

Old 11-19-2023, 06:26 PM
Mudding
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by chpsk8
There is also a wiring harness that travels near the B Pillar in the roof that runs the cabin lights above the door. I wonder if some of those tap tap rattles is the harness touching either the roof or the backing of the headliner. I plan on removing the light and pulling on the harness to see if I can get the wires to move around and if that would solve it.
Were you ever able to solve this?

Quick Reply: Small rattle at Driver side B Pillar