64.65%
Voters: 99. You may not vote on this poll

small vs large touchscreen

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2021, 08:31 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 233 Likes on 110 Posts
Default small vs large touchscreen

i am leaning towards the larger screen...any cons of the larger screen?

Old 03-27-2021, 09:45 AM
Mudding
Received 164 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by sacharama
i am leaning towards the larger screen...any cons of the larger screen?
there will be zero negatives going with larger screen. it appears to fit in the space well without dominating the whole dashboard like some cars these days. The only concern I see is the chip supply shortage that may limit availability. I ordered large screen.

Old 03-27-2021, 11:59 AM
Overlanding
Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

My dealer told me the Fpace has the larger screen. I took a look and its definitely Large but thats probably a bonus when you are looking at your cameras and maps on the screen.

My dealer also told me that the large screen is backordered and would delay delivery of my order so I went with the smaller screen. Im coming out of a 2014 X5 so the "small" screen is still nearly twice as large as what Im working with now. Wouldnt hesitate to get the larger screen though.

There is another post on this forum discussing the screen and the fact that its not perfectly symmetrical. Not a deal breaker for me but something to check out.

Old 03-27-2021, 12:12 PM
Mudding
Received 107 Likes on 58 Posts

WHOA!!!!! I NEED A LARGE SCREEN PART NUMBER PLEASE?

How did you find the part number.? How much was it?

Thanks,

Mark

Originally Posted by TheMoke
there will be zero negatives going with larger screen. it appears to fit in the space well without dominating the whole dashboard like some cars these days. The only concern I see is the chip supply shortage that may limit availability. I ordered large screen.

Old 03-27-2021, 02:55 PM
Mudding
Received 164 Likes on 93 Posts

On my order sheet there is a code next to the 11.4” screen, 087AW. No idea if that is a part number. The upgrade is $140. Given such a low cost upgrade, I suspect it’s planned as standard feature for 2023. It is already on some of the other models now.

Old 03-27-2021, 03:13 PM
Mudding
Received 107 Likes on 58 Posts

Bummer I thought you already had a defender and was upgrading.

Old 03-28-2021, 05:36 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 266 Likes on 166 Posts

Not once before the big screen came out did I ever think the screen was too small. I don’t really see the need for a bigger screen at all since I look at it so infrequently. I would still order the small if ordering now.

The following 3 users liked this post by Tartan:
Kev M (03-29-2021), nashvegas (12-28-2021), Stubby 2 (03-28-2021)
Old 03-28-2021, 08:48 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts

Small screen looks like it was designed for that space. Large screen looks like a stuck on ipad, which is all too common of a design...

Last edited by gts944; 03-28-2021 at 09:34 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by gts944:
Kev M (03-29-2021), lightning (08-02-2023), Tartan (02-04-2022)
Old 03-29-2021, 06:09 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,375 Likes on 677 Posts

Right now big screen is delaying Delivery Dates by about a month, IF they even hit the later date for the big screen. I ordered 110 P400 on 3/23 and sat with the manager while he built the car, then entered the order. I asked him to change to big screen and it moved Build Date back from 5/7 to mid-June, but he said they’d gotten notice that they don’t have the chips to build the screens yet (whoever builds them for LR) and so that figure was a best case scenario, but that the screens might not be ready in time for a June build, and if you’d specified the big screen it would hold up the build till the chips were available because you couldn’t change the build after it locks.

At any rate, I went small because, like gts944 I test drove 110s twice before the screen was announced and had zero thoughts about the screen size other than “wow, that sure is wide!”. And I agree that it looks tailored to fit between the “rails” of the forward dash.

As far as I have gleaned from the chip industry (nothing to do with Land Rover per se), chip demand went through the roof last year because so many people were home being bored and bought new electronical doodads to pass the time or keep the kids out of their hair. Upgraded the home entertainment system, added TVs and music to other spaces in the house, bought new computers to accommodate the demands of all their zoom calls, game devices for the kids, plus businesses gearing up for a remote workforce with new equipment. Couple this with C19-related stoppages in chip production and you have a giant surge in demand coinciding with a slackening of supply. Finally, automotive manufacturers are a small portion of chip users and so they are not at the front of the line, but rather having to wait behind all the other manufacturers who are “better customers.”

I am no expert and this could all be hearsay.

Cheers!

Old 03-29-2021, 08:32 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 235 Likes on 97 Posts

@NoGaBiker I'm with you! As much as I love big screens, and I'm sure the 11.4" is beautiful, it does look like its stuck to the crossmembers and a little awkward as opposed to the perfectly symmetrical fit that the 10" has. Coming from a 9 year old LR4 and its 6 or 7" screen, the 10" is a hug improvement for me!

As I entered my order on 3/24, I was given these dates on the tracking flow-sheet:
-Last Date for Spec Change - 4/14
-build date -5/14
-delivery date - 7/16/21

My dealership entered the order with the 11.4" screen and didn't notice or say anything about this detail causing a delay. I reached out to my salesman with the information from this thread and he knew nothing of any delay. I'm wondering if that delay may hit my order when it goes to the "submitted to build" phase. And the next step after "submitted to build" is "Last Date for Spec Change" and I'm not sure how quickly that next step happens. I've told my salesman that I'd rather switch to 10" screen if there's any chance of a significant delay. I doubt anyone can predict or control chip and screen suppliers at this point.

Details: MY 22 SE (5 seater)
off-road package
3 zone climate
cold climate package
air suspension
clear sight mirror
plus ladder, roof rack and wheel extensions

Quick Reply: small vs large touchscreen