2020 Defender Talk about the new 2020 Land Rover Defender
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Snow mode unavailable

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2021, 04:51 PM
Winching
Received 246 Likes on 173 Posts

How do you guys get into Auto mode? I use the dial to shift the modes and it does not move over to auto. It stops at configurable.

Old 12-27-2021, 05:05 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,254 Likes on 746 Posts

Yeah, it's a PITA. I think I just touch the screen or keep dialing. It's NOT intuitive nor easy.

Old 12-27-2021, 05:06 PM
Mudding
Received 267 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by Moretti
How do you guys get into Auto mode? I use the dial to shift the modes and it does not move over to auto. It stops at configurable.
Press and hold the Terrain Response button for 2-3 seconds. You should get the “Auto Selected” message.

The following 2 users liked this post by dj200:
Moretti (12-27-2021), webops (12-28-2021)
Old 12-27-2021, 10:02 PM
Mudding
Received 120 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by Jolly Rancher
No, I have not re-set the Pivi, but seems that may fix it. Connectivity info tells me that the most recent software update was installed successfully, and Apple Carplay has been functioning well. At the moment I'm hesitant to reset anything because below freezing temps are forecast here for most of the week, and we are getting more snow on Thursday. This is the only vehicle we have that's capable of doing deliveries for our business given the road conditions. I have a call in to our dealership service dept this morning, and am waiting to get a call back.
A Pivi reset will not do any harm at all. That's not the same as a factory settings reset, which will delete stuff.

The following users liked this post:
webops (12-28-2021)
Old 12-28-2021, 10:37 PM
Mudding
Received 107 Likes on 58 Posts

Also simply disconnect the negative battery terminal under the front passenger seat. That helps. Come on live a little.

Jolly Rancher (12-29-2021)
Old 12-29-2021, 10:22 AM
Drifting
Received 35 Likes on 17 Posts
Default PIVI reset did not fix it

I did the PIVI reset but the problem is not fixed. I was out driving yesterday and the vehicle went into Comfort mode while I was driving with no input from me. What I had to do to get it to go back into Auto, was turn off the vehicle, turn it back on, and use either method (turn driving mode selector ****, touch Auto on the screen, OR hold down the selector **** until Auto is selected). If I press the selector **** without restarting the vehicle, the **** flashes and all modes are unavailable. Pressing and holding doesn't work either. The vehicle did go back into Auto after the vehicle restart and has stayed in Auto since then.

I called my dealership service dept. They have apparently lost a number of service techs due to the vaccine mandate and can't get me in until March.

Old 12-29-2021, 12:12 PM
Mudding
Received 120 Likes on 77 Posts

I did the PIVI reset but the problem is not fixed. I was out driving yesterday and the vehicle went into Comfort mode while I was driving with no input from me. What I had to do to get it to go back into Auto, was turn off the vehicle, turn it back on, and use either method (turn driving mode selector ****, touch Auto on the screen, OR hold down the selector **** until Auto is selected). If I press the selector **** without restarting the vehicle, the **** flashes and all modes are unavailable. Pressing and holding doesn't work either. The vehicle did go back into Auto after the vehicle restart and has stayed in Auto since then.

I called my dealership service dept. They have apparently lost a number of service techs due to the vaccine mandate and can't get me in until March.
Did you do the Pivi reset with the engine on or off?

Old 12-29-2021, 03:05 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 2,297 Likes on 948 Posts

Hey there jolly

I don't have a solution for the software glitch but Auto mode cannot be selected with the dial. That is selected via touchscreen only. Perhaps there is some other jiggery-pokery method to select it but its in the owners manual regarding touchscreen only selection. This is what I select at the moment in Kirkland. Auto. It should stay in Auto as it is a hard select. Regardless of turning off car AFAIK and as far as I have noticed. Sounds like the entire TR system is borked.

Nice color choice BTW

Jolly Rancher (12-29-2021)
Old 12-29-2021, 10:38 PM
Drifting
Received 35 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Figured out one detail

Ok, I was trying to figure out today what makes it come out of Auto and into Comfort while driving and...at least one thing appears to be braking such that antilock brakes are engaged. This happened today. I stepped on the brakes in an icy area, the vehicle started to slip, and the antilock braking kicked in. Then I noticed that I was in Comfort mode. And... I have a message in the Info panel telling me that Emergency Braking is not available. I guess I need to make an appt at my dealership.

Old 01-04-2022, 12:00 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 261 Likes on 138 Posts

The Seattle Dealer told me back in October they were down 5 techs because one moved to Texas and 4 others went back to Ford.

Quick Reply: Snow mode unavailable