2020 Defender Talk about the new 2020 Land Rover Defender
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sold new with one key - attempt to stop resale?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2022, 01:45 AM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sold new with one key - attempt to stop resale?

Hey everyone! I’m Powlo and I’ve just posted in the new members thread. I did search this topic and couldn’t find anything but apologies if it does exist.

I picked up a brand new Defender a couple of weeks ago and at collection was told there was only one key due to the global parts shortage and I’d get a second key eventually.

It’s quite inconvenient only having one key as it makes complex logistics more complex than they need to be. I won’t bore you with the details but think long stay car parks, I’m dropping it off, someone else insured is picking it up blah blah. Hassle with one key.

When I collected it a big fuss was also made that I wasn’t allowed to resell it for six months and I had to sign something to say I wouldn’t. I guess that’s to try and calm the practice of immediately selling for overs. I don’t plan to sell, and it’s not legally enforceable anyway, so I merrily signed whatever.

Call me super sceptical, but I’m now thinking the missing second key might mysteriously reappear in six months. I’d struggle to sell it with one key of course. Is this some massive ruse to enforce the unenforceable by JLR? If so, that’s a bit naughty.

Thoughts?

Px

Defender 110 / MY23 / 200 miles

Last edited by Powlo; 07-29-2022 at 01:48 AM.
Old 07-29-2022, 05:43 AM
Mudding
Received 145 Likes on 62 Posts

No Powlo, no what the dealer is saying is correct, it’s merely down to chip shortages worldwide….all manufacturers are trying to economise in the short term to get cars out by re-directing any chips they can to vehicle production.
As for the contract, it wouldn’t stand up in a court of law.
andy

Old 07-29-2022, 10:50 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Powlo
Hey everyone! I’m Powlo and I’ve just posted in the new members thread. I did search this topic and couldn’t find anything but apologies if it does exist.

I picked up a brand new Defender a couple of weeks ago and at collection was told there was only one key due to the global parts shortage and I’d get a second key eventually.

It’s quite inconvenient only having one key as it makes complex logistics more complex than they need to be. I won’t bore you with the details but think long stay car parks, I’m dropping it off, someone else insured is picking it up blah blah. Hassle with one key.

When I collected it a big fuss was also made that I wasn’t allowed to resell it for six months and I had to sign something to say I wouldn’t. I guess that’s to try and calm the practice of immediately selling for overs. I don’t plan to sell, and it’s not legally enforceable anyway, so I merrily signed whatever.

Call me super sceptical, but I’m now thinking the missing second key might mysteriously reappear in six months. I’d struggle to sell it with one key of course. Is this some massive ruse to enforce the unenforceable by JLR? If so, that’s a bit naughty.

Thoughts?

Px

Defender 110 / MY23 / 200 miles
I had the 'no sell' for a whole year with my F-Pace. But I agree with Ludders - it's not legally enforceable.

Old 07-29-2022, 05:47 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 192 Likes on 113 Posts

If JLR's quality reputation is not enough to deter buyers, a missing key ain't nothin'.

Old 07-29-2022, 06:32 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 254 Likes on 156 Posts

One of the first things carmax will ask before doing an appraisal is if you have both keys. So yea it's a concern if you want the flexibility to get out of it early. I'm at the point now where I'm waiting to get out of mine. I have the Bronco Sport set to build date of Aug 29th. I have a headlight drl that's out in the Defender with the dealer saying parts may be over a month away. I have partial electric seats that are a complete creaking and clicking mess that the dealership is kicking the can down the road on. Seats that I didn't order, I ordered partial textile and ended up with full leather, with partial textile on the actual window sticker. There's a recall on seats that was very close to my VIN but not exact and I'm left to guess that it might've included my VIN if the seats that were in it are actually what should be associated with the VIN. I have stalling randomly at very low speeds once every couple of weeks that doesn't immediately restart and doesn't log a code so can't be fixed. Last but not least I have a Ford dealer that is going to do a reappraisal of the Defender when the Bronco Sport arrives so I'm hoping at least the headlight is fixed by then and they hold their nose when they test drive these seats. Having one key might be the least of the problems unless you're one of the lucky folks with 'no issues' to report.

Last edited by Chief65; 07-29-2022 at 06:50 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Elektrapops (07-29-2022)
Old 07-30-2022, 09:27 AM
Mudding
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

That's complete BS. Supply chain and one key is amateur hour. If Land Rover wants any chance of holding a reputation - deliver two keys. Kia still does...

Ludders54 (07-31-2022)
Old 07-31-2022, 12:09 PM
Mudding
Received 145 Likes on 62 Posts

I agree Hoosbest, Kia and Hyundai have the perfect model, they create the design of the vehicle and parts required, obtain manufacturers to supply the parts, but with an agreement that once designed, Kia and Hyundai produce the parts themselves under licence. This means they have total control over regularity, volume and speed of the whole system! Perfect……why hasn’t anybody else created this method?….even the four German brands! 🤬🤷🏼‍♂️🤦‍♂️

Old 07-31-2022, 01:24 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 232 Likes on 116 Posts

Hyundai sold close to 4 million cars in 2021 and Kia sold close to 3 million.

Jaguar Land Rover sold 420,000 vehicles in 2021.

Totally unreasonable comparisons being made above. And no, supplying one key with one to follow later is not an attempt to stop anyone selling their car. It’s because smaller manufacturers don’t have the same purchasing power or manufacturing capacity as bigger ones. That’s not a difficult concept to grasp.

Old 08-01-2022, 09:21 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

Wonder if you could contact your JLR dealer and say you "lost" your only key. Would they be forced to make you the replacement for free and thus speeding up the second key delivery?

Last edited by CONNORBMX; 08-01-2022 at 09:36 AM.
Old 08-01-2022, 09:30 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 700 Likes on 405 Posts

Originally Posted by Ludders54
I agree Hoosbest, Kia and Hyundai have the perfect model, they create the design of the vehicle and parts required, obtain manufacturers to supply the parts, but with an agreement that once designed, Kia and Hyundai produce the parts themselves under licence. This means they have total control over regularity, volume and speed of the whole system! Perfect……why hasn’t anybody else created this method?….even the four German brands! 🤬🤷🏼‍♂️🤦‍♂️

Because the Koreans have in place a societal, industrial structure of Chaebols ..... which enables them to efficiently and legally achieve what you note.

https://www.investopedia.com/terms/c...39;s%20founder.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-h...-idUSKBN27809H

catman (08-01-2022)

Quick Reply: Sold new with one key - attempt to stop resale?