2020 Defender Talk about the new 2020 Land Rover Defender
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Something to be aware of/Check

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2022, 05:44 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 417 Likes on 171 Posts

Also if anyone here does open theirs up to take a look feel free to post a pic and ill verify that its what I am talking about. I believe if I remember correctly there were 3 main connections in there. I tried to find the part online but haven't had luck.

Dealer let me know today that it looks like they might not be able to order just the clip and the only way to fix it might be a whole new harness...

Old 06-22-2022, 09:41 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,255 Likes on 747 Posts

I believe that's where Engine Junction Box A & B are right there. I went to Topix to confirm, but it shows it on the other side. I think that's wrong as the iOwner's manual shows it back on the right (US-Passenger) side. Perhaps the Workshop manual just showed a Uk spec. Regardless, I think you're pointing to the EJB A&B location. EDIT: Yep, I just noticed the embossing on the black plastic that the "Fuse Panel" for the engine bay is in there.

If so, there's a LOT of stuff in there. Many wiring harnesses and other electronic bits are in there. Likely need a better pic to narrow it down. Thanks for that much of a lead, though!

Last edited by GrouseK9; 06-22-2022 at 09:43 AM.
Old 06-28-2022, 05:21 PM
Rock Crawling

OK got the pic from my dealer. You can see how the grey connector on the bottom left of the photo doesn't have the grey clip around it to hold it down. So as you drive it just wiggles out.

The following 3 users liked this post by inater:
Brock Samson (06-30-2022), GrouseK9 (06-28-2022), MattF (06-28-2022)
Old 06-28-2022, 05:29 PM
Rock Crawling

And damn I can not figure out how to edit the title of a post.... Can someone kindly tell me how I can update the title so that its more searchable for people in the future.

Thanks!

Old 06-29-2022, 10:34 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,167 Likes on 627 Posts

Fascinating. Will give mine a check . Thank you for the picture.

Old 06-30-2022, 04:45 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 631 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by inater
OK got the pic from my dealer. You can see how the grey connector on the bottom left of the photo doesn't have the grey clip around it to hold it down. So as you drive it just wiggles out.

that is a connector on the engine bay fuse box. That lever for the connector will not be sepately purchaseable. Probably they could sorce one by cross referencing the connector size. Not sure i would want them to tear the whole car apart to replace the harness. Maybe get them to order the harness and have them just swap the lever lock......🤫

Old 06-30-2022, 10:58 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,167 Likes on 627 Posts

Oh I love a good connector hunt.

These "lever locks" are definitely able to be sourced from wrecked JLR cars, even if not from Land Rover directly ... I'm sure you know this but what you need is circled in this picture.

Here it is on Ebay (if it were me, I'd just buy one and do it ...if the dealer remedy is ripping out the whole wiring harness, I'd say no to that and absorb the expense, the hassle of all the back and forth is... well it's nice that's its warranty but... )
Here is a link on ebay

Or this one - not 100% sure that other connector is same size but likely is...
Ebay link 1

Last edited by nashvegas; 06-30-2022 at 11:02 AM.
Old 06-30-2022, 10:59 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 63 Likes on 28 Posts

Funnily enough, my Defender is throwing the same codes, and it seems to happen when I go over bumps, etc.

So, thanks Nashvegas, I just jumped on your first link. I'll let you know if it works by reporting back... If I can manage to remove those retention clips and reinstall them without breaking one during the process.

The following users liked this post:
nashvegas (07-01-2022)
Old 07-05-2022, 02:13 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 63 Likes on 28 Posts

Well the part came today. Taking the light grey clip off was extremely easy. You simply rotate the lever portion downwards until it's nearly completely upside down, and then you're able to pop the tabs off the light grey shroud piece.

Then that shroud piece is easily removed by snipping the black nylon zip tie and prying the four corners off their male stand-offs on the electrical connector underneath.

I won't get to attempting the install (which should also be easy) until a few days from now. Does anyone think I should do anything before hand? If I just wiggle the connector up and out, is it going to disrupt anything in the system? I would assume not, since this connector is already wiggling itself up and out repeatedly.

GrouseK9 (07-05-2022)
Old 07-05-2022, 02:34 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by Drewes
Well the part came today. Taking the light grey clip off was extremely easy. You simply rotate the lever portion downwards until it's nearly completely upside down, and then you're able to pop the tabs off the light grey shroud piece.

Then that shroud piece is easily removed by snipping the black nylon zip tie and prying the four corners off their male stand-offs on the electrical connector underneath.

I won't get to attempting the install (which should also be easy) until a few days from now. Does anyone think I should do anything before hand? If I just wiggle the connector up and out, is it going to disrupt anything in the system? I would assume not, since this connector is already wiggling itself up and out repeatedly.

Wow! I am so stoked this already helped someone else avoid the headache I went through. The dealer said they were able to order the part from LR but it came off the manufacturing floor apparently. I wasn't excited about them saying they may need to replace the whole harness so I am glad that wont be the case anymore. And if that somehow comes back up I will just buy the clip as part of the module from the link Vegas posted.

Man I love these forums.

Anyone know if a mod can change my title? Agree it would be more helpful to list the warnings and a better detail. If not I may start a new thread with a better summary to make it easier for others that experience this issue.

GrouseK9 (07-05-2022)

Quick Reply: Something to be aware of/Check