2020 Defender Talk about the new 2020 Land Rover Defender
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

spacers on a D110 18" stock steelies ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2022, 06:00 PM
Winching
Received 574 Likes on 302 Posts
Default spacers on a D110 18" stock steelies ?

Hey there - On my new D110 I'd like to add spacers to push the wheels/tires, both font and rear, out towards the wheel well more (see pic). Me truck is stock wtih BFG K02s 265/70R18.

Is it possible to add spacers to "fill the wheel well" without any compromises? If yes what size and type of spacers are recommended ?

Thank you,

Matt

Old 09-22-2022, 07:22 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,394 Likes on 688 Posts

I use them for my 18” steelies that only go on when I’m off-roading. In fact, I use them only in the rear; without them I get some brake caliper rub (I have a P400 with LK8 retrofitted rear brakes.) I don’t use them in the front because I get some tire-to-fender-liner rub in certain situations up front with the spacers.

At any rate, they work fine. Just made a 3500-mile RT off-roading trip out west and had the rears in place the whole time.

This is what I got:

Amazon Amazon

Cheers!

Spacers in back, no spacers in front:

Spacers front and back. Tires are stock size, 255/70-18, but are actually 1/2” taller than my stock 20” Goodyears.

Last edited by NoGaBiker; 09-22-2022 at 07:27 PM.
The following users liked this post:
MattF (09-23-2022)
Old 09-23-2022, 06:40 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 631 Likes on 206 Posts

Wheel spacers are not optimal in any application, however lots of folks run them and have not had issues. I know they should be re-torqued every so often which often does not happen. I know here in VA they technically do not pass state inspection, but most stations do not really fail people for them. I know on some brands of aluminum wheel spacers H&R being one of them, , they specifically label the spacer with a warning stating not to use with steel wheels. Others don't state anything. In my professional opinion, i suggest not to use them if possible. If you want a certain wheel offset, try to find a wheel that has this offset. This is the best way. If you have alloy wheels, i would say using properly designed and installed spacers is acceptable. With your steel wheels, i would not want to run alloy spacers. It has to do with the back plane surface of the rim at the lug holes. The center of the steel wheel is typically not completely flat. It is raised a bit and when you tighten the lugs you actually can see the steel deflect a bit against the hub. Doing this against a softer material like aluminum could cause damage to the wheel and or the spacer. Some people put a thin steel spacer on top of the alloy spacer to prevent this issue. Either way, you can do it and you may never have an issue. But i personally would not do it and i wouldn't install them on a customers vehicle with steel wheels. Ultimately it is your vehicle and you will have to work thru all of the opinions

MattF (09-23-2022)
Old 09-23-2022, 08:43 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,394 Likes on 688 Posts

Originally Posted by sarek
In my professional opinion, i suggest not to use them if possible.
With this I agree completely. As soon as I get around to it I'm going to see about taking a little more material off of the rear brakes on mine so I don't have to run spacers in the rear to get clearance. LK8 specifies spacers when using the OEM steelies with their P400 rear brake kit, but I'd rather take a little more material off the caliper.

Old 09-23-2022, 02:09 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 85 Likes on 40 Posts

I actually have a set of 30mms from Lucky8 that I have yet install, as I too feel there could be a better fill with the 18in wheels. I am actually looking to do it with the K02s like you just installed so I was sorta hoping you could do it first and tell me how the rub is before I get the tires. lol. I too am from the belief you should really never run spacers (coming from my vintage track day knowledge) but I also have seen a lot of folks push their Defenders hard with these spacers on and seem to do fine. The draw of filling the fenders is quite strong with me so I may very much go ahead with them and keep the torqued as part of regular maintenance.

Old 09-23-2022, 02:30 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by mdgs
I actually have a set of 30mms from Lucky8 that I have yet install, as I too feel there could be a better fill with the 18in wheels. I am actually looking to do it with the K02s like you just installed so I was sorta hoping you could do it first and tell me how the rub is before I get the tires. lol. I too am from the belief you should really never run spacers (coming from my vintage track day knowledge) but I also have seen a lot of folks push their Defenders hard with these spacers on and seem to do fine. The draw of filling the fenders is quite strong with me so I may very much go ahead with them and keep the torqued as part of regular maintenance.
I'd be happy to test fit them if you want to send them. I'm serious. I'm as curious as you are.

Old 09-25-2022, 02:54 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by MattF
I'd be happy to test fit them if you want to send them. I'm serious. I'm as curious as you are.
Why not! I won’t be near them for a couple weeks but DM me your address and we can look at shipping. The only thing is they might be expensive to ship as it’s just a box of solid metal.

Old 09-27-2022, 04:41 PM
Winching

Why not! I won’t be near them for a couple weeks but DM me your address and we can look at shipping. The only thing is they might be expensive to ship as it’s just a box of solid metal.
Thank man! but I think you're right - would be cost prohibitive to mail those around. I think I'm going to order a set and see how it goes. I'll keep you posted.

Matt

Old 09-27-2022, 04:48 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by MattF
Thank man! but I think you're right - would be cost prohibitive to mail those around. I think I'm going to order a set and see how it goes. I'll keep you posted.

Matt
Please do! I’ll throw them on with the stock Wranglers next time I have a minute but I’m mostly curious on how they do with those meaty K02s you’ve got since I’m planning those for the spring.

Old 10-06-2022, 03:59 PM
Winching

Please do! I’ll throw them on with the stock Wranglers next time I have a minute but I’m mostly curious on how they do with those meaty K02s you’ve got since I’m planning those for the spring.
I can confirm that 30mm spacers + 18inch OEM steelies + BFG K02's (165/70/R18) +NO lift = rub slightly against the front wheel liners. Bummer because the truck looked much better, well at least the front right did.

Matt

mdgs (10-17-2022)

Quick Reply: spacers on a D110 18" stock steelies ?