2020 Defender Talk about the new 2020 Land Rover Defender
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Steering wheel locked, but the rest seems ok.

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2023, 09:18 PM
Drifting
Received 30 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by El_greco
This has happened to me a few times. I get a message “ lane assist not available” and I’ve lost my power steering. 1st time, it went away after I shut the car off for a minute.
5000kms on my 2023 and this exact scenario just happened. I had heard about it and panicked as had no tools to disconnect battery. Thankfully it cleared on restart.

Old 11-24-2023, 02:27 AM
Winching
Received 451 Likes on 214 Posts

Quoting @zac431

The land rover key chain they give with new purchase should really be a 10mm wrench and not some useless leather strap...

The following users liked this post:
PaulLR (11-24-2023)
Old 11-24-2023, 06:43 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 682 Likes on 410 Posts

Originally Posted by colleen.c.sheridan@gmail.com
Hello-
Brand new LR Discovery owner (250 miles) and upon starting the car the steering wasn’t working. Spent a week at the dealership. They rebooted the system and told me it may happen again. They also said a new bulletin won’t be out until early 2024. I have the 10mm wrench and directions on how to restart it. But now I’m uncomfortable - can this happen while im driving? When my steering wheel was stuck, it was locked in a turned position so I’m worried I could be traveling at high speeds with the wheel locked in a turning position.
The missing power steering has happened to me a couple of times but only after being parked overnight. My guess is it's from some electronic error at start-up and it is unlikely it would occur while driving. And it's not locked, just that the power steering is electric, not hydraulic so it's nearly impossible to "muscle" the steering if the power assist goes missing.

The following 2 users liked this post by PaulLR:
colleen.c.sheridan@gmail.com (11-25-2023), markjlr (03-12-2024)
Old 11-24-2023, 05:03 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Defendit..
The land rover key chain they give with new purchase should really be a 10mm wrench and not some useless leather strap...
I didn’t even get the freakin key chain 🤣

WAFOX (01-01-2024)
Old 12-31-2023, 01:12 PM
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Steering wheel problem solved

Also had similar problem… once happened and a simple solution of turning car on and off fixed it… then it happened again this morning and would always give me the lane assistance not available error. Finding the battery below passenger seat (easily accessed via compartment from behind passenger seat) and disconnecting the negative battery connector for a minute also solved the problem for me… although I didn’t have the 10mm wrench (plan to get one!). I was able to do it with some small needle nose pliers to get it loose enough to take cable off. You don’t need to remove bolt completely, just loose enough to live it off the battery. Hopefully not something that continues to happen but happy it got me up and running for now! This is on 2023 first edition Land Rover defender. hope this helps someone!

Elektrapops (01-01-2024)
Old 12-31-2023, 05:44 PM
Drifting

Had this happen to me for the 3rd time the other day. Previous times was able to reset by turning off car and locking doors. This time that did not work.

Before doing the whole battery disconnect trick I tried something else that worked. Anyone else try this yet and have it work?

Simply turned off “Emergency Lane Keeping” under collision avoidance and instantly the steering wheel unlocked.

Next time it happens give this trick a try and report back for everyone!

The following 6 users liked this post by NoWayMe:
chadnash (01-01-2024), chpsk8 (01-01-2024), COBoarder (01-01-2024), Elektrapops (01-01-2024), PaulLR (01-01-2024), WAFOX (01-01-2024) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 01-01-2024, 08:43 AM
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Thanks, I’ll give it a try!

Originally Posted by NoWayMe
Had this happen to me for the 3rd time the other day. Previous times was able to reset by turning off car and locking doors. This time that did not work.

Before doing the whole battery disconnect trick I tried something else that worked. Anyone else try this yet and have it work?

Simply turned off “Emergency Lane Keeping” under collision avoidance and instantly the steering wheel unlocked.

thanks! Now I’m almost excited for the problem to try this lol

and where is everyone getting this free keychain!!?

happy 2024 friends!

Old 01-01-2024, 08:16 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 153 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by chadnash
thanks! Now I’m almost excited for the problem to try this lol

and where is everyone getting this free keychain!!?

happy 2024 friends!
Well you buy an $80k Defender and they gift you one! If you didn't get one your sales guy must be hawking them on ebay...

Last edited by chpsk8; 01-03-2024 at 04:07 PM.
Old 01-03-2024, 02:08 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by NoWayMe

This strikes me as very useful information. It appears that the Lane Keeping might not be a coincident symptom, as I had previously assumed, but rather part of the root cause. This is very valuable information for a dealer to have and to pass on to Land Rover for a root cause fix.

Old 01-03-2024, 02:09 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

I also wonder if turning off lane keeping via the steering wheel button could also work around the problem just as easily as going through the touch screen menu?

Quick Reply: Steering wheel locked, but the rest seems ok.