Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

stripped wheel lug stud

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2023, 03:47 PM
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default stripped wheel lug stud

how involved is replacing a stripped wheel stud?
i've accidentally stripped about 8mm of the thread off the end. I'm assuming it's not a good idea to try and repair the lug??

Old 01-28-2023, 08:19 PM
Drifting
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by SimAsh
how involved is replacing a stripped wheel stud?
i've accidentally stripped about 8mm of the thread off the end. I'm assuming it's not a good idea to try and repair the lug??
I did the same thing. I bought this kit (had to get the full one as none of the others had the M14X1.50 die): https://www.langtools.com/sku-971-48...-restorer-kit/
Direct from manufacturer was cheaper at the time than Amazon. If not too far gone (i.e. if you can get the restorer die started), it should be able to be restored. Whether you are personally comfortable with 8 mm of threads missing is up to you. I also lost one lug nut stripped in this incident, but got a Brit Part one from Rover's North for much less than factory and it was identical in quality.

Old 01-28-2023, 09:04 PM
6th Gear

thanks @wnewport I'll take a gander. and I did find a split die on-line, so perhaps I'll give that a shot.

Old 01-29-2023, 03:00 AM
4wd Low
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

As part of the great "Lessons Learned" review which is a key tenet of this Forum, I for one, would be really interested to know how you managed to "accidentally" strip the thread on a wheel stud ? Just so that the rest of us can avoid the same result you understand

Old 01-29-2023, 08:04 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by P50WKB
As part of the great "Lessons Learned" review which is a key tenet of this Forum, I for one, would be really interested to know how you managed to "accidentally" strip the thread on a wheel stud ? Just so that the rest of us can avoid the same result you understand
Mine happened rotating the tires. I used an impact gun to start the nuts when putting a wheel back on, intending to finish tightening them with a socket wrench and then a torque wrench. Even though lined up with the tool Land Rover provides, before I knew it the threads on one lug were messed up on the end. I tried a few other lugs and was able to force it, but one lug wouldn't go on. I borrowed one lug nut from the spare temporarily. Once I got the replacement lug nut and the thread restorer kit, I chased all the lugs and lug nuts on that wheel. The one lug nut was ruined, but everything else was fine once chased. I only ever used the impact gun to finish taking lugs off and to get them started putting them back on due to problems on several previous cars (Land Rovers and other makes) with the stainless steel cladding loosening and corrosion causing them to enlarge and not fit the lug wrench (a nasty surprise when you are trying to change a flat), but never again. Now I use a socket wrench or breaker bar for the whole thing and finish off with the torque wrench.

An aside on the alignment tool: when I first used that tool, mine was too big. It is tapered and the large end would bind in the wheel holes. The pointy end of the lug wrench has a terrible angle when trying to loosed the tool- the only contact is on the angled sides of the lug wrench. I had to sand/ use a wire wheel to reduce the diameter of the alignment tool and grind the end of the lug wrench to shape it to allow it to seat in the slot for loosening it.

Old 01-29-2023, 09:59 AM
Winching
Received 171 Likes on 129 Posts

hand tighten first

Old 01-29-2023, 01:03 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by sblvro
hand tighten first
I did that. Impact gun still boned up the starting threads.

Old 01-29-2023, 04:09 PM
6th Gear

i honestly have no idea. was installing a spacer and was tightening all in the usual star pattern and when I went to tighten the, this one in particular just kept rotating without end, until I had that sickening feeling that i just stripped it, and sure enough.

Originally Posted by P50WKB

Old 01-29-2023, 05:05 PM
Winching
Received 171 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by wnewport
I did that. Impact gun still boned up the starting threads.
Maybe it was already stripped beforehand?

Old 01-29-2023, 08:01 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by sblvro
Maybe it was already stripped beforehand?
The wheels had been off at least a couple of times prior and I didn't notice anything funny, but maybe it started gradually and built up until voila!. At any rate, I'm sure replacing studs isn't as easy as in the old days, so I will be much more careful.

Quick Reply: stripped wheel lug stud