2020 Defender Talk about the new 2020 Land Rover Defender
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stupid Question... difference between Used Certified and Used but Under Warranty

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2022, 01:10 AM
Mudding
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Stupid Question... difference between Used Certified and Used but Under Warranty

Looking at buying a Defender that a Jeep/Dodge dealer took in and has listed.

Good price, 3k miles, model year 22, but not certified because its not a Land Rover dealer I guess?

Does the original warranty not transfer to the new owner? Should it being listed as used versus certified be something to scare me away? Won't have the answer until dealer re-opens Monday, but the wheels are spinning with curiosity.

Old 03-06-2022, 06:08 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,394 Likes on 688 Posts

Don’t know about JLR specifically, but most luxury dealers will CPO a car that comes back to them if it meets certain criteria. Has to be under a certain age, under a certain number of miles, never been in an accident. Then they perform a XXX-point check in the shop, where they essentially confirm it has the amount of wear expected for that age/mileage. Then, they extend the warranty, often to 100,000 miles or a certain number of years.

So comparing a 2-year-old Porsche with 15,000 miles, if CPO it would have been checked over by the dealership, usually any soon-to-be-due maintenance will be taken care of, and the warranty will be for another 4 years or 85,000 additional miles. A Non CPO (whether from the Porsche dealer or elsewhere) will still have the factory warranty, with 2 years and 35,000 miles left on it. For cars that qualify, dealers can choose to CPO or not, based on several factors. The cost of a CPO (which is essentially just more warranty) has to be added to the sales price. If the car is nearly brand new anyway, they may elect to not CPO in order to keep the price $4000 cheaper; then the new owner will elect to just keep the balance of the new-car warranty (say 3 years are left; Porsches never run out based on mileage). Or they can buy an extended warranty for however much that costs, which is generally a little less than the CPO warranty, but may not be as extensive.

Basically, it all boils down to do you want the extended warranty? Cuz on a 2022 vehicle, there’s just not much else you’re getting from a CPO. Run a CarFax to make sure it hasn’t been hit.

Also, while the original warranty is always transferable to the new buyer no matter how many times the car is sold during the warranty period, the CPO may or may-not transfer, and usually doesn’t. Check JLR’s policy on that if you’re interested. So if you bought the CPO (which you’ll definitely pay for in the cost of the truck), and you decide to trade or sell, the CPO adder is just lost money if you can’t charge more for it when you sell (if it doesn’t transfer on JLRs).

Last edited by NoGaBiker; 03-06-2022 at 06:12 AM.
Old 03-06-2022, 09:35 AM
Mudding

Gotcha thank you for the lengthy reply. I never purchased an extended warranty on any vehicle. My understanding was you could purchase this at any time before the expiration of the original warranty.

I will have to check back with the salesman who told me this, but he recommended a 3rd party warranty from some company with 3 letters in their name. Seemed waaaaaaaaaaaaay way too good to be true, 5k for a warranty bumper to bumper for 10 years from first sold date, 160k miles. We were in middle of a test drive on some winding road so the focus wasn't 100%.

Old 03-06-2022, 09:45 AM
Mudding

Also somewhat un-related, if its purchased at a non Rover dealership how does service/loaners work? Just go to the local Rover dealer and they take of warranty issues and give you a shiny Rover as a loaner?

Old 03-06-2022, 01:16 PM
Mudding
Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by ammonation
Also somewhat un-related, if its purchased at a non Rover dealership how does service/loaners work? Just go to the local Rover dealer and they take of warranty issues and give you a shiny Rover as a loaner?
Loaners depend on the dealer itself. I had major issues with bmw and no loaners for ex.

Where you purchased the vehicle is irrelevant. Could be in a Romanian flea market for 10 rubles. As long as it is within 4 years 50k miles any RR will service it for warranty issues.

Old 03-06-2022, 02:30 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 231 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by maxmk8
Loaners depend on the dealer itself. I had major issues with bmw and no loaners for ex.

Where you purchased the vehicle is irrelevant. Could be in a Romanian flea market for 10 rubles. As long as it is within 4 years 50k miles any RR will service it for warranty issues.
They will service it (eventually) but for example my local service mgr has made it a point to ask me if I bought the Defender from 'him' and that he looked it up to confirm. If you're going to buy from out of town dealers and then expect a loaner locally I would say especially right now forget about it. Even loaners aside, I don't even know if first come first served will apply to warranty work in these times. IMO definitely make it a priority to make sure you have a good relationship with the local dealership, they know if you bought it there and not the next city over where you maybe saved 1k off the price. If these were Ford or GM where there's a dealership every 5 miles I don't think it matters.

Last edited by Chief65; 03-06-2022 at 02:32 PM.