Sponsored by:

Sun Roof Not working

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2023, 10:14 AM
Drifting
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Sun Roof Not working

Folks,

I have a new to me 2021 Defender 90X that I purchased about two months ago. Everything has been going fine, but I tried to operate my sun roof this weekend and it wasn't operating (won't open, no movement/no sourd at all). I'm going to schedule an appointment with the dealer, but I'm wondering if I accidentally hit some button that has locked the sunroof... is that possible? The sun roof had previously worked fine. I have opened it a few times since purchase, but with all the rain the last few days I probably have not used it in a week and a half.

Thanks for any help.

Old 05-09-2023, 07:01 AM
Mudding
Received 144 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by motivated_1
Folks,

I have a new to me 2021 Defender 90X that I purchased about two months ago. Everything has been going fine, but I tried to operate my sun roof this weekend and it wasn't operating (won't open, no movement/no sourd at all). I'm going to schedule an appointment with the dealer, but I'm wondering if I accidentally hit some button that has locked the sunroof... is that possible? The sun roof had previously worked fine. I have opened it a few times since purchase, but with all the rain the last few days I probably have not used it in a week and a half.

Thanks for any help.

it’s happened to me twice - last year after it had been parked in direct sunlight - as soon as I parked it in the shade it was fine. I’m only summising that the dormant is so snug to prevent water ingress and leaf litter, then a bit of sun and it expands the glass.

Old 05-09-2023, 09:21 AM
KMK
8th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Ludders54
it’s happened to me twice - last year after it had been parked in direct sunlight - as soon as I parked it in the shade it was fine. I’m only summising that the dormant is so snug to prevent water ingress and leaf litter, then a bit of sun and it expands the glass.
The same thing happened to me yesterday (Long Island, NY). I was parked in direct sun for hours, the sunroof wasn't opening until I put the AC on for a couple of minutes. I also assume it was the heat expansion on the sunroof parts.

Old 05-09-2023, 01:57 PM
Drifting
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Ok, was really starting to get mad at my 90. It was a cool day so after I saw this post I went out multiples times this morning to try to get my roof to open and mine was absolutely not budging. Took it for a drive just now and it dawned on me not only was the sun roof not opening, but the sun shade had stopped automatically opening and closing when I locked/unlocked(started) the car. So sun roof stuck close, sun shade sitting in the max open position. Hit the button for the sun shade to tell it to close and it worked, but still no sun roof. Closed the sun shade all the way opened back up tried sun roof again, no luck. Closed the sun shade again, but this time while closed tried the sun roof and what do you know the damn thing opened liked nothing was wrong.

In my case in doesn't seem like heat, more like software or something was confused. As of now all is normal, will see if it starts acting up again on the next hot day.

Thanks for the help

The following users liked this post:
WAFOX (05-09-2023)
Old 05-09-2023, 03:20 PM
Mudding
Received 127 Likes on 71 Posts

This is a fairly common issue with a simple fix. close the roof and shade. with the shade closed hold the button to close the roof shade until it clicks, then release the button and do it again. This will set the close position and the roof should function afterwards

The following users liked this post:
ficklma1 (05-10-2023)