2020 Defender Talk about the new 2020 Land Rover Defender
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sunroof Open/Close Isuue

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2021, 02:37 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,255 Likes on 747 Posts

Mine came spec'd to the trim I purchased, but I would NOT have selected it as an option. The problem for me is that I have an Expedition roof rack and once you get a rack it has minimal value anyway. You can't see crap up there and it is TOUGH to clean. That with all the problems, makes me think it's just a PITA.

Old 01-20-2022, 09:22 AM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi - yes same issue. Model 21 year Defender HSE. Sunroof wouldn't open. Closed the blind. Waited for 30 second and then pressed the open sunroof button and hey presto all working again. I think the sunblind must trigger a switch that resets the sunroof.

Old 01-20-2022, 09:29 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 698 Likes on 405 Posts

On my 2020 P300 110 S with 15000 miles, I am now encountering an inability to close the glass portion of the sunroof.

The buttons work, the glass moves fine, but when it comes to the end of the track it bounces immediately into reopening mode and runs off in the opening direction.

The only method which seems to work is to push the closure button in VERY small steps - and then just before it closes push the sunroof forward (so the rebound does not happen somehow?).

That is getting a bit old -- so, I just printed out the advice from umbertob (which I used before successfully) and will try it.

In any case, I won't be visiting the dealer on this one -- too insignificant.

Enjoy !

Last edited by TrioLRowner; 01-20-2022 at 09:36 AM.
Old 06-14-2022, 08:25 PM
2nd Gear

I’ve tried all of these suggestions and the sunroof will still not open. When the open button is pushed I can hear the sunroof motor and the sunroof itself moves ever so slightly but stops and then closes up again. Wondering if there might be something blocking/obstructing?? Any thoughts/suggestions? Ironically, the sunroof on my 2012 LR4 also just died…. Thanks!

Old 06-14-2022, 09:16 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,394 Likes on 688 Posts

Originally Posted by TrioLRowner
On my 2020 P300 110 S with 15000 miles, I am now encountering an inability to close the glass portion of the sunroof.

The buttons work, the glass moves fine, but when it comes to the end of the track it bounces immediately into reopening mode and runs off in the opening direction.

The only method which seems to work is to push the closure button in VERY small steps - and then just before it closes push the sunroof forward (so the rebound does not happen somehow?).

That is getting a bit old -- so, I just printed out the advice from umbertob (which I used before successfully) and will try it.

In any case, I won't be visiting the dealer on this one -- too insignificant.

Enjoy !
Ha, I just had this on Sunday. Same solution — inch the roof closed and it finally stuck, after bouncing back a dozen times. Next time I opened it, no problem at all.

Report back, Trio — did you reset it and did that solve it since January?

Old 06-14-2022, 09:48 PM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by Rob Forrest
Hi all,
I’m 1200 miles and almost 2 months into driving my new 2021 D110 HSE X-D. Has anyone else encountered a problem opening the sunroof?Mine operated fine a couple of weeks ago and today it would not. Otherwise I’m loving it so far and hoping someone can offer a reset solution or share your experience and how it was resolved. Thanks in advance.
get used to it. Had mine for a year and it happens often, even after taking it in for service. U will have to put the car in park, take foot off break, and hold in close Positing for about 30 seconds. This is how u reset jt

Old 06-15-2022, 10:15 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 196 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob Forrest
Thanks for the replies. I did the hard reset and it’s working fine now.
This has only happened one time for me so far. The reset worked.

Old 06-15-2022, 10:45 AM
Winching
Received 574 Likes on 302 Posts

Originally Posted by NoGaBiker
Ha, I just had this on Sunday. Same solution — inch the roof closed and it finally stuck, after bouncing back a dozen times. Next time I opened it, no problem at all.

Report back, Trio — did you reset it and did that solve it since January?
Not sure if this is relevant but on my 997 i had a similar issue with the sunroof. It ended up being the lube in the sunroof tracks being slightly gummed up. Once I cleaned them and re-lubed all was fine.

Old 06-15-2022, 11:11 AM
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine acts up when there is direct, hot sun on it (typically at mid-day). When it is very hot in the car and the black gloss roof is hot, like clockwork the sunroof chokes when trying to open. Once things cool down, it comes back to life.

The following users liked this post:
nashvegas (06-06-2024)
Old 06-15-2022, 04:59 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,394 Likes on 688 Posts

Originally Posted by MattF
Not sure if this is relevant but on my 997 i had a similar issue with the sunroof. It ended up being the lube in the sunroof tracks being slightly gummed up. Once I cleaned them and re-lubed all was fine.
Dude, this is why you order your 911s with sunroof delete! Didn’t anybody ever tell you that.

If it happens again I’ll get up there and see if I can find any gumminess. Since its less than a year old it seems unlikely, but ya never know.

Last edited by NoGaBiker; 06-15-2022 at 05:02 PM.

Quick Reply: Sunroof Open/Close Isuue