2020 Defender Talk about the new 2020 Land Rover Defender
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Swapped my 22" 5098 wheels for 20" 6011

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2022, 08:36 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 192 Likes on 113 Posts

Defender on the minivan tires make me cringe. I feel the same way about the G Wagen.

Old 07-05-2022, 07:50 AM
Mudding
Received 85 Likes on 49 Posts

Oh well. Look away then.

The following 3 users liked this post by therift72:
GavinC (07-05-2022), Husky44 (01-27-2024), WTFChuck (07-05-2022)
Old 08-28-2023, 09:22 AM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This setup looks great! Where did you find the 20" 5098 style wheels in gloss black?

I've got the 22" in gloss black on my 110 V8 and want to swap them for 20" with A/Ts.

Old 08-29-2023, 02:22 AM
Mudding
Received 51 Likes on 33 Posts

Since I ultimately did go through a dealer, they would only agree to fit the rims with an LR spec tire, and I went with the wrangler AT adventures. It's perfectly fine with me for now. At some point, I might go to something beefier, but honestly don't expect to do any "major" off-roading with this truck. (I have many years of jeep and rover off-roading under my belt so I am well aware and well versed in all the trappings.) For this particular truck though, I just wanted to lose the 22" street rim and tire setup, and go to something that would be a little more "all terrain" oriented. Besides tooling around the suburbs, I spend a lot of time on fire roads, easy trails, river banks, boat ramps, etc. when I'm off fly fishing and exploring. So I think this setup will cover all my bases just fine.

Just did the same, removed the Pirelli”s & replaced with the GYWA tires, I am really liking them so far!

Old 08-29-2023, 10:22 AM
Mudding
Received 88 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by dshark1
Since I ultimately did go through a dealer, they would only agree to fit the rims with an LR spec tire, and I went with the wrangler AT adventures. It's perfectly fine with me for now. At some point, I might go to something beefier, but honestly don't expect to do any "major" off-roading with this truck. (I have many years of jeep and rover off-roading under my belt so I am well aware and well versed in all the trappings.) For this particular truck though, I just wanted to lose the 22" street rim and tire setup, and go to something that would be a little more "all terrain" oriented. Besides tooling around the suburbs, I spend a lot of time on fire roads, easy trails, river banks, boat ramps, etc. when I'm off fly fishing and exploring. So I think this setup will cover all my bases just fine.

Just did the same, removed the Pirelli”s & replaced with the GYWA tires, I am really liking them so far!

FYI, i decided pretty quickly i wanted some better off road performance, so i swapped out the GYWA's and went with a BFG KO2. Enjoy your new setup, and have fun out there...

The following users liked this post:
dshark1 (08-29-2023)
Old 08-29-2023, 02:29 PM
Mudding
Received 51 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by sj24k
FYI, i decided pretty quickly i wanted some better off road performance, so i swapped out the GYWA's and went with a BFG KO2. Enjoy your new setup, and have fun out there...

Thx brother! U 2 …. I Had the K0”2 on my Jeep. Very good tires.

Old 10-10-2023, 12:01 PM
4wd High
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by therift72
Really bad information being relayed to you by your dealer. Downsizing from 22 to 20" wheels is no issue at all. I did the same thing on my 2021 P400 SE - I have my summer set up - 22" 5098's on Continental Cross Contacts - and my winter set up is 20" 5098's on Goodyear 255/60R20 Duratracs. Pretty pleased with the results and not much drop in mpg or increase in road noise. I think both wheel/tire options look great - its all down to personal choice and I sit firmly in both camps for an aggressive street look on 22's, and an aggressive off road look on 20's (yes, I know a 20" wheel/tire is not 'full off road').

Love this look! Curious about your thoughts since your 2022 post above. How do you feel about the Duratracs? How does MPG compare to the Cross Contacts? I'm getting my Defender in January (very excited). It will be my daily driver. The only reason I'm hesitant to keep the Duratracs on all year is MPG. Thanks!

Old 10-16-2023, 03:28 PM
1st Gear

Have had my '22 P400 110 X dynamic HSE for a few months now and finally got rid of the 22" gloss black rims and continental tires that came with it. When I got the truck back in April, I took someone's cancelled order and it was one of the few items I wouldn't have ordered myself. I went back and forth on OEM and aftermarket options, and ultimately decided on the OEM 6011 6 spoke black wheels. I've always gravitated towards those wheels and honestly couldn't find an aftermarket compatible 20" rim that spoke to me any better. As an aside, I was pretty amazed at how many local JLR dealers told me I couldn't (or they wouldn't) downsize the 22's to 20's because of the brakes. (Even with me showing them the exact brake caliper and rotor parts numbers, and providing documentation of multiple p400's with the same brakes and 20" wheels.)

Anyway, I just wanted to post this because I know there's been a fair amount of chatter regarding downsizing wheels, as well as questions about the 6011 rims with the off road tires (guess the configurator doesn't allow this anymore).

Here's a quick snap I took today. Better pics to follow at some point. And thanks to all out there who post so much useful information. I really turned to this board quite a bit before making the call, and appreciate all the insight and experience.

Can admins or anyone help with me being unable to see the images in the forum. I looked at all settings but still can't see images.

Old 10-18-2023, 01:18 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks great. I've got the annoying 19's on my X-Dynamic HSE and looking to change them out; might have to get the 20's with the KO2. Whats the size on these? Thanks!

Old 01-27-2024, 03:58 AM
4wd Low

Originally Posted by therift72
Really bad information being relayed to you by your dealer. Downsizing from 22 to 20" wheels is no issue at all. I did the same thing on my 2021 P400 SE - I have my summer set up - 22" 5098's on Continental Cross Contacts - and my winter set up is 20" 5098's on Goodyear 255/60R20 Duratracs. Pretty pleased with the results and not much drop in mpg or increase in road noise. I think both wheel/tire options look great - its all down to personal choice and I sit firmly in both camps for an aggressive street look on 22's, and an aggressive off road look on 20's (yes, I know a 20" wheel/tire is not 'full off road').

Hi Therift72,

Great looking car! I'm picking up my 110 D300 HSE X-Dynamic in a few weeks. Carpathian grey, black pack and the 22" Gloss black wheels. Someone cancelled their order and I stepped into it, its the perfect spec... other than I would probably have gone with the 20" satin grey wheels. I'm trying to decide if this is a good thing, being pushed out of my comfort zone to something that perhaps looks better... or whether I will end up changing them.

I'm coming from a Disco 4 with 19" wheels. Car won't be used for offroading but we do live rurally, so it will end up in a muddy field and wading through flood water every now and then, driving up verges to pass other vehicles on the narrow country lanes and negotiating the not-so-well-maintained pothole-ridden roads.

I wondered if you'd be kind enough to elaborate on your experiences with the 22" wheels a little more? And therefore either reassure me that they are all i'm ever going to need... or get me looking for someone who wants to swap their 20s!

Quick Reply: Swapped my 22" 5098 wheels for 20" 6011