Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Switch Location for Light Pods

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2022, 06:57 AM
Drifting
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Switch Location for Light Pods

I'm having a light pod fitted by Urban and their place for the rocker switch is right down below the electronic handbrake and dashboard dimmer switch, which isn't convenient at all for quick access.
Has anyone found a good place for a switch? I see Lazer Lights (Urban use their product) themselves suggest on the underside of the steering wheel which is a lot better already....
Cheers

Old 04-21-2022, 07:41 PM
Mudding
Received 113 Likes on 48 Posts

It’s a terrible position that makes it so hard to use while driving.

Have your installer wire it into the high beams. Also install the switch, that way you can “kill” the pod if you want to use high beam only.

I posted about this in an earlier thread, search for wiring diagram and you’ll find some schematics for them to use.

good luck

Old 04-21-2022, 08:16 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,394 Likes on 688 Posts

The under-steering wheel or under-dash solution is a little risky if you have illegal (off-road) lights or something that will be blinding to oncoming traffic, just because you can hit it with your knee and not be able to see the LED that lights up on the switch when it’s on.

Ask me how I know. Jeep with powerful back-up LEDs wired to a switch on lower dash in front of my left knee. I once drove 20 miles on the interstate with those bad Boyz blasting the people behind me before somebody got up next to me and was able to convey somehow what was going on.

The following users liked this post:
GrouseK9 (04-25-2022)
Old 04-22-2022, 03:13 AM
Drifting
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Pangea123
It’s a terrible position that makes it so hard to use while driving.

Have your installer wire it into the high beams. Also install the switch, that way you can “kill” the pod if you want to use high beam only.

I posted about this in an earlier thread, search for wiring diagram and you’ll find some schematics for them to use.

good luck
No, I wont wire into high beam as it's illegal and in any case won't work with matrix LED lights. Solution for me is a separate switch but easy to access.

Old 04-22-2022, 01:04 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,167 Likes on 627 Posts

Lucky 8 has a cool binnacle switch pod here --> https://lucky8llc.com/collections/de...switch-pod-kit

And I actually like it !

The following users liked this post:
GrouseK9 (04-25-2022)
Old 04-25-2022, 07:44 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,255 Likes on 747 Posts

Major fan of the Lucky8 binnacle switch pod. I put mine in that cubby hole/shelf to the left of the steering wheel (LHD) before I discovered the Lucky8 version. Would have gone that route. I share a concern for knees hitting the switches under the steering wheel, but what REALLY worries me is the "discovery" of something important when you drill it out. Or if you take it off, what a PITA that's going to be.

Old 07-25-2022, 08:20 PM
Mudding
Received 161 Likes on 88 Posts

Get a switch pro

Old 07-25-2022, 08:22 PM
Mudding
Received 161 Likes on 88 Posts

I believe he can make a mount for your right hand drive.

Old 07-26-2022, 08:44 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,255 Likes on 747 Posts

Another option is the Trigger Controller. I installed the 4 and still have two switches open. Will use them in future planned projects. If you get the 6, you have a built in power line so that the switches have a power line rather than batteries. Using 3M trim tape, I secured it to the left of the steering wheel and it's rock solid. The good news about these are that they are wireless and you don't have to route anything thru the firewall. All wires that are outside, stay outside. The Tacoma bracket fits perfectly to the support beam (?) on the left of the engine bay.

Old 07-26-2022, 12:44 PM
Mudding
Received 75 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by GrouseK9
Another option is the Trigger Controller. I installed the 4 and still have two switches open. Will use them in future planned projects. If you get the 6, you have a built in power line so that the switches have a power line rather than batteries. Using 3M trim tape, I secured it to the left of the steering wheel and it's rock solid. The good news about these are that they are wireless and you don't have to route anything thru the firewall. All wires that are outside, stay outside. The Tacoma bracket fits perfectly to the support beam (?) on the left of the engine bay.

I have the 6 from my previous 4Runner and was wondering about using it in the Defender. The only things is, I’m not sure where to put additional lights on the Defender. What have you installed so far? And do you have any plans to add any more?

Quick Reply: Switch Location for Light Pods