2020 Defender Talk about the new 2020 Land Rover Defender
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is there any "normal" coolant loss?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2024, 09:05 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 213 Likes on 109 Posts
Default Is there any "normal" coolant loss?

2022 P400 with 52,000 miles. Around 20k miles the coolant reservoir was nearly empty which I topped off and attributed this to air in the system which "burped". Again at 50k, same thing - a very low reservoir. Is this rate of consumption normal or an indicator that I've an underlying problem.

Old 02-29-2024, 06:35 PM
Overlanding
Received 22 Likes on 9 Posts

Not normal at all, but likely just sloppy hoses and clamps. Seems to be an issue with these cars. I have never had to top up coolant on any of my Audi, Porsche, Toyota, Subaru or Hondas over the last 15 years or so.

Old 03-01-2024, 08:18 AM
Mudding
Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

They have had resevoir tank fails. Had mine replaced under warranty.

Old 03-01-2024, 10:06 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 612 Likes on 366 Posts

Probably a slow leak somewhere. So far I have had 3 slow coolant leaks repaired in our 2023 Defender...pipe to the intercooler, lower radiator hose where it meets the engine block and a faulty reservoir tank. No coolant leaks in our 2021 Defender...yet. Must be rushing to push these vehicles through production as fast as possible. Something so simple as correctly tightening coolant clamps and hoses at the factory should be easy...so you would think.

I agree with cgardnerma above, I have never had to add coolant to the many Audi and Honda vehicles we have owned over the last 25 years.

Old 03-01-2024, 10:42 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

I am still new to LR having been a BMW/Audi/Porsche guy and raced BMWs with SCCA and BMW Club Racing. I enjoy working on my cars and know enough to be dangerous. I was at the dealer yesterday and I was talking with a service guy that is an enthusiast (uses his LR off road) and he mentioned a couple of things for me to be aware. He said don't be shocked if your coolant reservoir is low from time to time. He said while you can't rule out a leak, LR uses a lower pressure system than some of the brands and it will evaporate a bit. He may have been BS-ing but I thought that was interesting.

It is a closed system, so if it is not on the ground, or on your carpet, or mixed with the oil, what's left?

The following users liked this post:
POPTOPP (03-01-2024)
Old 03-01-2024, 11:50 AM
Drifting
Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by vinceleo
I am still new to LR having been a BMW/Audi/Porsche guy and raced BMWs with SCCA and BMW Club Racing. I enjoy working on my cars and know enough to be dangerous. I was at the dealer yesterday and I was talking with a service guy that is an enthusiast (uses his LR off road) and he mentioned a couple of things for me to be aware. He said don't be shocked if your coolant reservoir is low from time to time. He said while you can't rule out a leak, LR uses a lower pressure system than some of the brands and it will evaporate a bit. He may have been BS-ing but I thought that was interesting.

It is a closed system, so if it is not on the ground, or on your carpet, or mixed with the oil, what's left?
It appears we have a similar automotive background, and that sounds like BS to me. It's possible the cap may be rated at a lower vent pressure? Or more likely it's JLR living up to their reputation and the parts that are supposed to be fully sealed aren't fully sealed...

Old 03-01-2024, 12:04 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by lawlence
It appears we have a similar automotive background, and that sounds like BS to me. It's possible the cap may be rated at a lower vent pressure? Or more likely it's JLR living up to their reputation and the parts that are supposed to be fully sealed aren't fully sealed...
seemed strange but it was unsolicited - I didn't ask about the coolant system he was sharing the "oddities" about LR.

Old 03-01-2024, 12:18 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 92 Likes on 66 Posts

it is leaking slowly, hose orings and aux rads mostly.
hard to catch sometimes.

Old 03-01-2024, 12:21 PM
Drifting
Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by vinceleo
seemed strange but it was unsolicited - I didn't ask about the coolant system he was sharing the "oddities" about LR.
I mean it's certainly possible. I do have to top off my '20 Sprinter maybe once a year, but we're talking maybe 100ml of distilled in there to get it back to the max line. I'm also not even sure if that's a problem with the OE system -- my van has an aftermarket heat exchanger plumbed into the system for the cabin heater with various clamps/hoses/fittings that I suspect are the cause.

My Macan has never needed a top off in 30k. The X5 (152k miles) which I replaced with the Defender only ate coolant when the water pump was going bad.

Old 03-01-2024, 12:32 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by POPTOPP
2022 P400 with 52,000 miles. Around 20k miles the coolant reservoir was nearly empty which I topped off and attributed this to air in the system which "burped". Again at 50k, same thing - a very low reservoir. Is this rate of consumption normal or an indicator that I've an underlying problem.

hello and good morning, I've read a lot of coolant leak posts on defender, so definitely this is a possibility.
however, when the coolant level in the reservoir drops a lot, consequently the entire upper part of the coolant circuit in the engine also empties.
So you can't just fill the tank.....
A procedure must be implemented, as you can see, first you have to unscrew the tank nut and raise it by at least 11cm, then you have to unscrew the cap on the highest circuit, you can find it on the left, near the suspension dome.
At this point, fill with new coolant until you see the liquid come out of the cap.
It says here to also disconnect the fitting on the fuel heater, which I didn't do, when checking for air in the system.

Marco

Quick Reply: Is there any "normal" coolant loss?