Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Those with aftermarket wheels

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2021, 10:07 PM
Winching
Received 165 Likes on 116 Posts
Default Those with aftermarket wheels

if you have switched your stocks to non oem did you get a new set of tpms or use your old set. my dealer says only one set of tpms can be programmed per car which sounds pretty ridiculous

i rather not switch back and forth and just get another set

i getting quotes almost 700 for a set programmed. seems way too high

Old 01-16-2021, 01:00 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Ehloo
if you have switched your stocks to non oem did you get a new set of tpms or use your old set. my dealer says only one set of tpms can be programmed per car which sounds pretty ridiculous

i rather not switch back and forth and just get another set

i getting quotes almost 700 for a set programmed. seems way too high
I have a set of wheels on order and was planning on using new TPMS. That said, on my Range Rover Sport, I had trouble when I programmed a new set of TPMS sensors. The car would never read the new ones. OEM parts but would never read. I ended up reusing just originals. Maybe the dealer is right. Never heard of this issue on another vehicle.

Old 01-16-2021, 03:10 AM
Winching
Received 561 Likes on 252 Posts

No problems with my previous Land Rover (a 2013 LR4) running two separate sets of TPMS sensors on two sets of wheels and tires. A few years ago Land Rover switched frequencies of the monitoring systems used in North America, from 315 to 433 MHz. That caused issues for some purchasing the wrong frequency sensors in the aftermarket without checking compatibility with the module installed in their car first. The current system uses 433 MHz radio frequency.

As long as the sensors are compatible - places like Tire Rack should send you the correct ones for your vehicle - and mounted on the 4 running wheels, the system should figure it out, learn the new sensor position and start receiving data after about 15 minutes of running. No need to program anything - although the dealer can do so via diagnostics if you insist, for an exorbitant extra charge. You may get a TPMS system fault after mounting new sensors, but it should be very short lived. Also, I learned that some sensors may be sold in "Ship" mode (perhaps to save battery?) and may need to be switched to "Park" mode after installation, using a handheld low frequency tool that most tires stores and dealers should have. That wasn't the case for me - it was literally plug and play on my LR4, no warning or fault lights ever displayed - but it's something else to check if your sensors should fail to be recognized by the system after 15 minutes of driving or so.

Last edited by umbertob; 01-16-2021 at 03:17 AM.
Old 01-16-2021, 08:37 AM
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

We have Fuel Offload wheels but used our original TPMS. So I can't speak as to whether they will accept new ones as well. I know on my 2019 Lexus I had that I put wheels and tires and new TPMS on it and it never read the tire pressure. It did turn off the light, but that was all.

Old 01-18-2021, 07:42 PM
Mudding
Received 90 Likes on 49 Posts

Funny, I have aftermarket wheels and purchased the correct frequency TPMS sensors, but my local dealer has not been able to get them to activate and read. They have opened a ticket, as my old sensors will now not read either.

I thought I was doing the right thing by leaving the TPMS in the original wheels and tires for when the car gets turned back in 3 years from now.

Rob

The following users liked this post:
Lnberger (04-04-2022)
Old 01-18-2021, 08:15 PM
Winching
Received 165 Likes on 116 Posts
Default tpms

i usually get a new set on my other cars and get a full set for 150.

figure by the time i dismount my stocks and then have to dismount my aftermarket wheels to pull them off and then mount again on my stocks i am well over 150. and the more dismounts the greater chance of damage to wheels

this is my first Rover and i have realized the dealer knows absolutely nothing and will just start making things up.

Originally Posted by crewcabrob
Funny, I have aftermarket wheels and purchased the correct frequency TPMS sensors, but my local dealer

has not been able to get them to activate and read. They have opened a ticket, as my old sensors will now not read either.

I thought I was doing the right thing by leaving the TPMS in the original wheels and tires for when the car gets turned back in 3 years from now.

Rob