LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tire Pressure sensors for second set of wheels (TPMS)

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2014, 11:03 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 235 Likes on 97 Posts
Default Tire Pressure sensors for second set of wheels (TPMS)

Tire Pressure sensors for second set of wheels (TPMS)

I just purchased a second set of 2005 LR3 original factory LandRover aluminum wheels for my 2007 LR3. I plan on mounting some more aggressive off-road tires and being able to switch these wheels out with my street tires/wheels as needed or seasonally.

I understand that at least here in North America after around 2005-06, the TPMS system was required by law, so my 2007 must have this (I haven't been able to look inside my existing wheels).

I have found a set of four sensors, new with the part number that matches my model year for a good deal. I may have these installed in the extra set of wheels so that when I switch my set out, the system will be functional. Will this be something that is doable?

The dealership has actually matched a good price on a set of BFGoodrich off-road tires so I plan on having the tires mounted on the extra wheels, with my pressure sensors installed and tires balanced, all done at the dealership. So they can initially program the sensors if needed.

After that I will store the extra set of wheels at home and switch them out on my own with a floor jack.

Will I have to re-program the TPMS system every time I switch the wheels? Or will the system automatically since the new sensors?

Old 04-29-2014, 11:11 AM
Super Moderator
Received 95 Likes on 90 Posts

It should automatically sense the new wheels, after driving for a bit.

It's possible your 2005 wheels already have sensors in them, and it probable your 2007 does too. If you send me the VIN of your 2007, I can look it up in microcat later, to see how it shipped, if it has sensors or not.

Old 04-29-2014, 11:32 AM
Rock Crawling

I'll PM you with my VIN. Thanks! I see you're in Arkansas, I live in Little Rock!

Old 04-29-2014, 02:28 PM
Rock Crawling

Another (probably dumb) follow up question... The sensors that I've found are "new" and unopened in their original packaging, but I think they may be 4 to 5 years old. From what I understand, the batteries are only good for maybe 7 years max. Do they continuously use power from the day they're made? Or just use power once they're installed and begin sensing movement (RPM's) or pressure and then start sending the signal? If that's the case, I wouldn't mind buying the "new" sensors that have just sat on the shelf for a while.

Last edited by drcoop; 04-29-2014 at 02:34 PM.
Old 04-29-2014, 06:27 PM
Super Moderator
Received 95 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by drcoop
I'll PM you with my VIN. Thanks! I see you're in Arkansas, I live in Little Rock!
Cool. Do you ever go to any of the Arkansas rover society events? A few of us were in hot springs over the weekend.

Old 05-01-2014, 05:35 AM
Rock Crawling

Now that I have a capable Rover again, I plan to join some Ark. Rover Society events. We have a lot of "untamed" lands here in Arkansas for off-road exploring!

Old 05-03-2014, 05:07 PM
Mudding
Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

easy way to tell if you have tpms in existing wheels is by looking at the valve stem. the sensor has a plastic or more likely aluminium threaded valve stem and is held in place by a nut. the stem then reduces in size for the stem cap threads. if there is no tpms in the wheel, you will likely have rubber seated valve stems.

Just yesterday I had a complete set of four tpms monitors installed to replace factory. My 07 has reached 7 yrs and the light was constantly on and off as I assume the batteries were old. the new sensors from NAPA were way cheaper at only $60 each and after driving for 5 km the light went out as it recognised the new sensors. everything seems fine so far, but it has only been one day.

expect to see the light on the dash when you switch wheels, but as I mentioned it will go out when the system learns that the sensors have been swapped.

***UPDATE***
A recent private message has reminded me to check for this post and update it. The light on the dash was flashing for so long I placed a piece of tape over it and just ignored the message centre. I didn't really think about updating this until I was asked this question. The following was my reply to the question "have [the NAPA sensors] held up well?"

the sensors are not working. turned out to be a total loss, as there is no return on electrical parts and I have no idea where the sales receipt is anyway.

Kal Tire (local shop but nearly Canada wide and beyond) says that on order for the light on the dash to go off, the new sensors need to be recognized by the computer and there is no way for them to access the necessary computer programs (through OBDII diagnostics port) in order to get the truck to "learn" the new sensors. Like most things Land Rover, I suggest spending the money and having it work the first time. If you decide to research new sensors and find any information, the members will appreciate any info you acquire.

Best of luck,

Last edited by spiderman; 12-30-2014 at 10:05 PM. Reason: asked about performance of NAPA sensors
Old 05-08-2014, 09:24 AM
4wd Low
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do what I did and disable the TPMS warning system all together and throw them away! I don't know if the dealer will do this for you (worth asking) but a good independent shop will. I switch out sets of tires myself and didn't want the hassle and added expense of the TPMS. Especially when I typically air down a bit while off roading, the warning light would have come on anyway.

Not to mention the valve stems on the TPMS corrode easily and will eventually snap off on you one day while you're airing up.

I think it was 2008 and newer that it is NOT possible to disable the warning light, but since you have a 2007 you should be fine.

Old 07-08-2014, 08:53 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Ditto to DiscoNels...The light on my dash flashed and then held amber. The mechanic told me that this behavior indicated a likely fault in the TPMS sensors communicating with ECU, and that the ECU was in all likelihood okay. The only way to correct this is to get a full set and install all at the same time, drive for about 20 minutes, and always at least above 25 mph. During that time, the system will learn the new sensors and reset itself.

I had the TPMS sensors removed and decided the replacement expense wasn't worth it at the time. I've been doing what my dad taught me: spot check tires before driving and once a week, use a gauge to check pressure. Dad used his pen-type, but I use a digital device. Sorry old man; I like old school, but not on this one.

Six months and several thousand miles later, truck still rolls along just fine.

BUT if you're planning on trading your truck in, the dealer might say its a $600-$700 job to "repair" because they'll have to run diagnostics on each tire. That means they'll install TPMS sensors and drive for 20 minutes above 25 mph.

Last edited by rovernoob; 07-08-2014 at 09:00 PM.
Old 10-27-2015, 12:20 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 129 Likes on 118 Posts

I'm going to bring up this old thread due to an issue I had today.

Was driving home from work when suddenly I got a tire pressure warning. Immediately checked it out and found... nothing. As far as I can tell, the new tire that I finally mounted to my 5th rim (sourced from a forum member here) was finally noticed by my computer system as belonging to the set (as a spare maybe), and tripped the warning. After consulting the disco3.uk boards I aired up both fronts and the roof spare to 40 psi and the light went away. Should I air back down to around 36psi for the fronts? I am running a considerable amount of extra weight with a baja up top, full spare, hilift, and maybe 150lbs of drawers and tools in the rear, including the stock LR donut.

The TOYO AT2's I'm running have a max PSI rating of 44...

Can anyone confirm that the Disco 3's and/or 4's "learn" new sensors with regards to TPMS? I only added my full size spare on saturday.

Quick Reply: Tire Pressure sensors for second set of wheels (TPMS)