Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thoughts re: the Defender's Warranty

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2021, 07:09 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,255 Likes on 747 Posts
Default Thoughts re: the Defender's Warranty

Any thoughts re: the Defender's Warranty? I'm not seeing a thread, so maybe I'll start one. If there's one out there I'd appreciate a link.
I hear that you can't add, modify or change ANYTHING without losing the Warranty on it. In that case, would you get the extended warranty? Is it worth it? How many of you did/did not get the extended and why? Pick mine up this coming week and should know the pro/cons before the dealer starts winding up.

Old 06-13-2021, 07:20 AM
Mudding
Received 83 Likes on 40 Posts

I added the extended warranty simply because I plan to keep the Defender for a long time. Really don’t plan to modify it too much, going to add the front skid plate/recovery hook at some point but that wouldn’t void anything. I can’t remember exactly what I paid for my extended warranty but the price was definitely negotiable.

The following users liked this post:
GrouseK9 (06-13-2021)
Old 06-13-2021, 02:07 PM
Mudding
Received 71 Likes on 42 Posts

To extend warranty on mine to 7 years would've been 4k...10 years almost 7k. I laughed.

Not saying I won't spend that in repairs, but I'd rather pay a 5k repair bill when needed than spend 5k and not need it.

I view those warranties as basically insurance. If you need the insurance, get it!

Kev M (06-13-2021)
Old 06-13-2021, 04:38 PM
Winching
Received 246 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by ElVerde
To extend warranty on mine to 7 years would've been 4k...10 years almost 7k. I laughed.

Not saying I won't spend that in repairs, but I'd rather pay a 5k repair bill when needed than spend 5k and not need it.

I view those warranties as basically insurance. If you need the insurance, get it!
Does JLR offer their own warranty or was that from a third party? I thought I remember reading somewhere that it was 3rd party only...which I thought said something that JLR did not think they could make more money from selling extended warranties like the other luxury brands...

Old 06-13-2021, 05:03 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,255 Likes on 747 Posts

Originally Posted by Moretti
Does JLR offer their own warranty or was that from a third party? I thought I remember reading somewhere that it was 3rd party only...which I thought said something that JLR did not think they could make more money from selling extended warranties like the other luxury brands...
I go pick mine up later this week and will let you know. Reading on-line forums, I believe there are both. JLR offers one (which may be 3rd party) and there are others you can get on the open market. I think I'm going to pass. I've had (too) many vehicles over the years and haven't had an engine blow up in under 100K. Also, I worked for a used car chain for many years and the house definitely has the advantage.

Kev M (06-13-2021)
Old 06-13-2021, 05:57 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by Moretti
That honestly sounds like something you'd hear in the finance office

I honestly have no idea...didn't ask many questions once I heard the price.

GrouseK9 (06-13-2021)
Old 06-13-2021, 06:05 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,407 Likes on 710 Posts

Originally Posted by GrouseK9
I go pick mine up later this week and will let you know. Reading on-line forums, I believe there are both. JLR offers one (which may be 3rd party) and there are others you can get on the open market. I think I'm going to pass. I've had (too) many vehicles over the years and haven't had an engine blow up in under 100K. Also, I worked for a used car chain for many years and the house definitely has the advantage.
WIfe's last 2 cars

Jaguar XF with a blown engine at 34k miles

Jaguar F-Pace R-Sport with a blown engine at 42k miles

I mocked her and now I'm buying a Defender because what are the odds right?

Old 06-13-2021, 06:10 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 304 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by _Allegedly
WIfe's last 2 cars

Jaguar XF with a blown engine at 34k miles

Jaguar F-Pace R-Sport with a blown engine at 42k miles

I mocked her and now I'm buying a Defender because what are the odds right?
Dude, with a wife whose driving style I sometimes describe as binary, it's not Jaguar, it's your wife.

GrouseK9 (06-13-2021)
Old 06-13-2021, 06:15 PM
Mudding

Just remember they don't offer warranties out of the kindness of their hearts....

The following 2 users liked this post by ElVerde:
GrouseK9 (06-13-2021), Kev M (06-13-2021)
Old 06-13-2021, 07:25 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,407 Likes on 710 Posts

Originally Posted by Kev M
Dude, with a wife whose driving style I sometimes describe as binary, it's not Jaguar, it's your wife.
Lol, it's obvious by her car selection that she's into speed but I can't really blame her for the engines. At least not for the XF. That car was possessed. It would randomly put itself into park and shut off while you were driving. The best was when she came home with 2 bullet holes in the back door and had no idea how they got there.

Okay, wait to maybe it is her. I seriously love this girl.

The following 2 users liked this post by _Allegedly:
GrouseK9 (06-14-2021), TrioLRowner (06-14-2021)

Quick Reply: Thoughts re: the Defender's Warranty