Sponsored by:

Thoughts re: the Defender's Warranty

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2021, 02:52 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 234 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by brydup
in post #18 you wrote:
modified (audio system) does not void non-modified (radiator)

modified (struts/shocks) voids non-modified (cv joints)

seems pretty definite to me.

Please read my entire post including what I stated above the quote that you included. I clearly stated "MIGHT" and "COULD", meaning there is a POSSIBILITY.

POSSIBILITY means possible and it does NOT mean definitive.

Old 06-16-2021, 05:07 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 58 Likes on 29 Posts

First, don't think I'm upset, and I hope you're not, we're just having a generally pointless conversation, given the concern voiced in the original post was:
"I hear that you can't add, modify or change ANYTHING without losing the Warranty on it."

My audio/radiator example was only to show that modifications don't necessarily void the warranty.

Obviously the strut/shock voiding cv joints is a closer call, but at the end of the day, the analysis is the same, the dealership has to show that the modification caused non-modified OEM parts to fail before the warranty is voided on the non-modified parts. Philosophically, we're all on the same page.

But practically, if the dealership refuses to fix the car, arguments about whether the warranty is legally void or not wait until the car is fixed.

We're far from the field of the original post, but when it comes to whether a dealership will repair OEM parts on a modified car, I agree with the person who said it depends on the dealership. Some of the dealerships I work with fix everything as long as the car is still under warranty, hasn't been in an accident, has good maintenance records (read serviced at dealership), and the defective part is OEM. Some dealerships try to deny warranty coverage for any reason they can, even if the car has never been modified.

The following 2 users liked this post by brydup:
GFranklin (06-17-2021), Kev M (06-16-2021)
Old 06-16-2021, 05:11 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 58 Likes on 29 Posts

I'm putting this thread behind me now. My unmodified Defender is coming up on 8k miles and has been running perfectly, don't want to tempt fate by putting too much warranty repair talk out into the universe.

The following users liked this post:
GrouseK9 (06-16-2021)
Old 06-17-2021, 02:17 PM
Drifting
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Following you perfectly!

Originally Posted by brydup
I said it. There will always be exceptions, but I specifically used the word "might" in my post to allow for exceptions and to make sure not to mislead anyone.

Saying that every shock/strut mod will automatically void the cv joint warranty is incorrect. My, layman's, understanding is that the shocks keep your vehicle’s wheels in contact with the road and that cv joints transfer the force from your car’s transmission to the drive wheels at a constant speed. Sure, they're both part of the suspension system, but a manufacturer who denied such a warranty claim would have the burden of proving that the shock mod caused the cv joint failure. Nothing in the post gives enough facts to definitively say that the shock/strut mod voids the cv joint warranty.

At least my post allowed for the unlikely scenario that the manufacturer could prove that the audio mod caused the radiator leak. I don't know, maybe the wiring for the radiator fan runs through the same harness as the front speakers, it got disconnected, the radiator overheated and started to leak.

The point is, my
audio/radiator example was intentionally broad and used unrelated systems for clarity. The fact that the system are related doesn't change anything. I defend manufacturer's in breach of warranty cases, and I can tell you from first hand experience, that the manufacturer doesn't get to just say: shock mod, no coverage for the cv joints, they have to prove that the mod caused the failure.
Are you by chance licensed in the state of Florida?

Old 06-18-2021, 09:03 AM
Overlanding
Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ElVerde
This is an awesome post, great to have such knowledgeable members. Thank you for sharing!

The last bit on "voiding" the warranty is especially important. It is possible that a claim would be denied due to a modification, but modifications DO NOT void warranties. Excellently illustrated above via the stereo/radiator example.
This is a good point, and I agree. I think it worth noting, though, that a modification, even if not causally related to a warranty claim, can still lead to a warranty claim denial, at which point the LR Service Dept is likely to charge the now aggrieved customer something (e.g., a diagnostic fee) to get their car back in an unrepaired state. From there, one could: 1) file a credit card dispute; 2) escalate the warranty claim; 3) consider litigation to enforce your warranty rights; all of which add tremendous hassle, inconvenience, and possibly out of pocket expenses.

Last edited by drk63; 06-18-2021 at 09:05 AM.