Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trailer stability assist (tsa)

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2022, 05:42 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 216 Likes on 110 Posts
Default Trailer stability assist (tsa)

There's a big red tag on my Eaz-Lift sway control that states I should disable the vehicle electronic stability control system. I'm not sure I can. From the user manual: "Trailer Stability Assist (TSA) automatically detects when sway is developing on a correctly attached trailer. When active, TSA gradually reduces the vehicle’s speed to help regain control of the trailer." It doesn't read as if left/right braking is applied, just a slowing. So, can this be disabled? And if not, can I safely use my Eaz-Lift sway controls?

Old 10-03-2022, 10:59 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 245 Likes on 131 Posts

So I'm not the expert on the EAZ Lift sway controls, but looking at their website those appear to be weight distribution hitches.

The docs say don't use those, as they can damage the air suspension.

If it's not, sorry for not answering your question. I've not gotten either the car nor trailer, but have been researching it a lot and looking at the MCHitch or the DO35 maybe.

Old 10-04-2022, 11:07 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,157 Likes on 624 Posts

So I've not had this trailer assist "kick in" on my Defender 110 yet, but I did have an L494 Sport that had either the same thing or a prior iteration of it, and I can say, it was superb. I towed a race car Porsche all over the place on a rather heavy car trailer. Got very familiar with how the Sport pulled with the trailer and car.

Whenever it started to sway in the slightest (crosswinds, driving too fast, a semi passing me very fast), it would gently slow the L494 down. I found it quite brilliant. Never startled me. I'd leave it active, but also to answer your question, I do not believe there is actually even a setting to disable this feature in the car.

Separately -- as for disabling a car's electronic stability system, that would be a horrible idea in any modern SUV on a highway at speed. I'm somewhat surprised a hitch company would recommend doing this if in fact that's what they're actually saying. See pic below - This button here would disable all stability control (or maybe most of it, some cars never actually turn it fully off even with the off switch like this, not sure where JLR is with this).

I'd really only turn this off in deep snow to try to get unstuck, or in certain offroad conditions, etc. I may be wrong about all of the above, but ... having had multiple cars with this tech, it's something you don't turn off. Ever see that video of the early m4 careening off the road over a median after a cars and coffee in 2016? Stability control was off.

Old 10-05-2022, 10:50 AM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by Trekkie
So I'm not the expert on the EAZ Lift sway controls, but looking at their website those appear to be weight distribution hitches.

The docs say don't use those, as they can damage the air suspension.

If it's not, sorry for not answering your question. I've not gotten either the car nor trailer, but have been researching it a lot and looking at the MCHitch or the DO35 maybe.
My system is in two parts - torsion bars related to weight distribution and sway control devices. These are independent of each other and can be attached to the hitch together or separately. This is typical of torsion bars on chains. Torsion bars on brackets typically do double duty as weight distribution and the friction device for anti-sway.

Old 10-05-2022, 10:55 AM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by nashvegas
So I've not had this trailer assist "kick in" on my Defender 110 yet, but I did have an L494 Sport that had either the same thing or a prior iteration of it, and I can say, it was superb. I towed a race car Porsche all over the place on a rather heavy car trailer. Got very familiar with how the Sport pulled with the trailer and car.

Whenever it started to sway in the slightest (crosswinds, driving too fast, a semi passing me very fast), it would gently slow the L494 down. I found it quite brilliant. Never startled me. I'd leave it active, but also to answer your question, I do not believe there is actually even a setting to disable this feature in the car.

Separately -- as for disabling a car's electronic stability system, that would be a horrible idea in any modern SUV on a highway at speed. I'm somewhat surprised a hitch company would recommend doing this if in fact that's what they're actually saying. See pic below - This button here would disable all stability control (or maybe most of it, some cars never actually turn it fully off even with the off switch like this, not sure where JLR is with this).

I'd really only turn this off in deep snow to try to get unstuck, or in certain offroad conditions, etc. I may be wrong about all of the above, but ... having had multiple cars with this tech, it's something you don't turn off. Ever see that video of the early m4 careening off the road over a median after a cars and coffee in 2016? Stability control was off.
The tag was a warning to disable only electronic anti-sway, not the stability systems. Though to your point, the lines here get fuzzy and manufactures seem to be a bit loose with marketing terminology. But you've answered my question - not an independent system that can be disabled and something that provides real benefit. Thanks.

The following users liked this post:
nashvegas (10-05-2022)