Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trims: trickery, sneakery, shenaniganery and open questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2023, 12:41 AM
Mudding
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Trims: trickery, sneakery, shenaniganery and open questions

So, what's the difference between trims? Things get interesting once you dig deep enough. Below is a pretty straight copypaste from the build tool (much easier to put together than it may look like), and a few observations, which I'd love someone to confirm or disprove if they know or they care.

Disclaimer: I added only options I care about and/or those that were provided as standard in the X build, YMMV. I ignored the V8 configuration after glancing at it, and some "and up" may not be true.
  • The most hilarious? You can get "Black Exposed Rear Recovery Eyes" in SE for $250. In X-Dynamic SE, they come standard. In X, you can get them AGAIN for $250... What? Oh, if you read the fine print, it turns out that they come ORANGE in X trim, and you're paying $250 to make them black again. Did I get that right?
  • You can only get "Electrically Adjustable Steering Column" (connected with seat memory) in X-Dynamic SE and up.
  • You can only get "11.4" Touchscreen" in X and up.
  • You can only get "Front Undershield" in X and up, unless you buy it separately.
  • "Overhead Storage for Sunglasses" is standard in X-Dynamic SE and up, but you can't get it in SE.
  • You can only get "ClearSight Interior Rear View Mirror" in X and up.
...and that's basically it, ignoring cosmetic differences. Everything else is an option, or can be obtained as an option. The only "hard" options I care about are the 11.4" touchscreen, electronically adjustable steering column, and ClearSight interior rear view mirror, the rest I can DIY. But, a comparable X build is still about $10K more expensive than lower trims, for no real value I can see in their configurator.

Am I missing anything? And is there anything substantial in X trim that is not obvious from the build tool?

Now, some pictures. Legend:
  • Bright green: those I care about
  • Pale green: standard feature
  • Pale red: optional feature, with the price if it is individual or the pack name
  • Medium red: a pack, its individual items are spread around
  • Dark red: not available for this trim
  • Gray: irrelevant
  • Blue: (arguably) better than in lower trims
There is no text below pictures. Enjoy.

The following users liked this post:
ficklma1 (01-20-2023)
Old 01-20-2023, 06:43 AM
Mudding
Received 78 Likes on 48 Posts

Don't overthink it or anything...Very simply..Do you want the "blacked-out" look or not? For us (wifes DD), it was a dealbreaker...No blackout trim, no black wheels, and definitely no black interior...Been there, done that.....
Loaded up an SE nicely with only what we wanted and came out just shy of $80k.

The following users liked this post:
ficklma1 (01-20-2023)
Old 01-20-2023, 09:37 AM
Mudding
Received 172 Likes on 98 Posts

Makes my 2022 base model 110 with clear sight, under shield, 11.4" screen and overhead sunglasses holder even more of a unicorn.

I look forward to arguing with parts counter clerks over what I do and do not have in the future.

The following 2 users liked this post by DoctorofRocks:
ficklma1 (01-20-2023), rdr2go (08-04-2024)
Old 01-20-2023, 03:33 PM
Mudding
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by ZL1Ragtop
Don't overthink it or anything...Very simply..Do you want the "blacked-out" look or not?
I couldn't care less for the looks, all the configuration items are purely practical (case in point, even the electrically controlled steering column - all the drivers in the family are of wildly varying geometry, it was extremely annoying to reconfigure everything every time there was a need to swap the driver).
Originally Posted by ZL1Ragtop
For us (wifes DD), it was a dealbreaker...No blackout trim, no black wheels, and definitely no black interior...Been there, done that.....
Loaded up an SE nicely with only what we wanted and came out just shy of $80k.
Yep, that's just about as much as my SE and X-Dynamic SE builds come up to.

Though, all the interior in all our vehicles was traditionally black. Sometimes, it looks exquisitely nice - I'm sure @NoGaBiker will chip in and show his Moab expedition photos to prove the point (for the record, we were finding the fine Moab dust in our Jeep years after the trip, in most unexpected places).