Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

US front license plate holder

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2020, 03:32 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by ebarry
All you need to do is drill a few holes into the plastic bumper covering and mount the plate holder that LR supplied.
Not a big deal,

it’s plastic and holder will cover any drilled holes, just measure carefully.

Old 12-11-2020, 03:33 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 235 Likes on 110 Posts

i always call the dealer ahead of time before the car arrives at the dealership to make sure that they don't drill and install the bracket during the "prep" of the car. i have time to research and perhaps come up with a solution. thanks all for your inputs!

Old 12-11-2020, 08:09 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 55 Likes on 26 Posts

In someone's spare time, could a lucky current owner of a Defender please measure this space (up and down, not left to right). Available depth would be handy too. I have some ideas. Thanks!

Nate

Old 12-12-2020, 06:57 PM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In Illinois you will get ticketed for not having a front license plate. My body shop (North Shore Auto Rebuilders on Broadway in Chicago) attached the factory license plate mount with super strong magnets that were glued to the back of the mount and the back of the front bumper (they removed the bumper to install the magnets). The front of the plate has four black screw caps so it looks like it is screwed in. The magnetic mount is incredibly strong. It requires a lot of force to lift straight off or slide sideways. You can remove it by pulling out and up from the bottom (leverage). North Shore said they have been installing this type of mount on upper end vehicles for a number of years and had one Porsche owner who reported that the mount held up on the track at 150 mph. I believe it, as thus far it hasn't budged at all in all types of weather conditions and road surfaces. However, I plan on removing the mount when driving cross country, in deep snow or off road. The cost was $350.

Old 12-13-2020, 10:28 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts

Who cares about the ticket? Just pay the $50 or whatever and get on with your life. It’s not a moving violation and doesn’t affect your insurance rates or driving record. There have been countless cars that I have refused to purchase bc of holes in a front bumper for a plate.

in some states it’s an”fix it ticket”. Just put some Velcro strips down. Affix the plate. Get it signed off and peel it all off.

Old 12-14-2020, 10:04 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 700 Likes on 405 Posts

Originally Posted by todkavonic
In someone's spare time, could a lucky current owner of a Defender please measure this space (up and down, not left to right). Available depth would be handy too. I have some ideas. Thanks!

Nate
Slot Depth is 1 5/8 " to the vertical slats behind.

Slot Height is 1 3/8" at the outer surface, sloping upward to a height opening of 5/8" (at the end of the plastic.)

Enjoy!

The following users liked this post:
todkavonic (12-14-2020)
Old 12-17-2020, 11:31 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 268 Likes on 168 Posts

Going to try one of these myself: https://www.slybrackets.com

Old 12-17-2020, 03:06 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by Tartan
Going to try one of these myself: https://www.slybrackets.com
Save your money, plate will not look correct mounted on the grill.
Please stop the pain and drill four holes and mount the LR plate bracket that fits like a glove.
It’s really not a big deal, just a plastic bumper cover.

The following 3 users liked this post by ebarry:
AvoTow (08-05-2021), Snapshot (03-31-2023), TexasLandmark (12-17-2020)
Old 12-17-2020, 05:50 PM
7th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just cleaned the area with alcohol and stuck the plate on with red 3m double sided tape. Looks completely normal and no drill holes. Double sided foam tape is used to hold side mouldings, spoilers etc in many vehicles even from the factory.

Old 12-17-2020, 06:11 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by smoltz
I just cleaned the area with alcohol and stuck the plate on with red 3m double sided tape. Looks completely normal and no drill holes. Double sided foam tape is used to hold side mouldings, spoilers etc in many vehicles even from the factory.
That should work just fine. I love that 3M double sided tape.

Quick Reply: US front license plate holder