Sponsored by:

US front license plate holder

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2020, 11:30 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 233 Likes on 110 Posts
Default US front license plate holder

hi all

for those who live in a state that requires front license plate, how's your front license plate mounted?

is the plate holder drilled/attached onto the bumper or front grille?

i do not wish to have the front bumper or grille drilled.

on my mk7 GTI, i installed a custom license plate holder that screws into the tow hook receptacle so the holder/plate is not touching the bumper and i am wondering if something like that can be done to the defender as well.

or i can just move to PA.

thanks
sacha

Old 12-10-2020, 05:13 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 55 Likes on 26 Posts

Agreed, Sacha, I'm also interested to hear what people are doing, if anything. There are non-Defender-specific options available: sto n sho, slybrackets, hide-a-plate (to name a few from memory) which may be worth a look. I live in a front plate mandatory state but have driven around for years and years without one without an issue. Still rather be on the compliant side of things...just not willing to drill holes in my bumper.

Nate

Old 12-10-2020, 05:34 PM
Drifting
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

My dealer said that some drivers were given tickets in VA for not having the number plate mounted in the front, so I had them drill small holes into the front bumper and mount the plate.
Thanks,
saravs

Old 12-11-2020, 01:09 AM
Drifting
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I live in CA. I initially zip tied my license plate on the front bumper (using the area on the bumper with all the perforated holes). I’ve since had a front protection bar installed and the dealer attached my license plate holder to that so it looks cleaner.

Old 12-11-2020, 04:48 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by FzyPChz
I live in CA. I initially zip tied my license plate on the front bumper (using the area on the bumper with all the perforated holes). I’ve since had a front protection bar installed and the dealer attached my license plate holder to that so it looks cleaner.
All you need to do is drill a few holes into the plastic bumper covering and mount the plate holder that LR supplied.
Not a big deal,

it’s plastic and holder will cover any drilled holes, just measure carefully.

The following 2 users liked this post by ebarry:
johnsonmc2000 (12-18-2021), Mechano2020 (12-17-2021)
Old 12-11-2020, 07:57 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 697 Likes on 405 Posts

My Defender came from the factory with a black plastic plate formed to seat on the curves of the front bumper. The plate was in one of the pockets at the back of the vehicle.

Land Rover is on the back. Part number is L8B2-13413-D 2311663 Made on June 23 2020 in Poland.

It requires 4 screws to mount on the bumper -- need to drill holes in the plastic bumper to mount. Then the license plate screws into the black plastic plate.

Old 12-11-2020, 08:23 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 697 Likes on 405 Posts
Default photos of front license plate mount

photos of license plate mount............

Old 12-11-2020, 10:23 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 102 Likes on 74 Posts

While on plates...

I used these to mount the plate to the holder... look much better than regular screws.

Old 12-11-2020, 11:42 AM
Winching
Received 245 Likes on 173 Posts

Does the new defender have proximity sensors on the front bumper? I installed a front license plate holder through the front tow hook on my wifes ML350 and it set off the collusion sensors frequently at higher speeds. Ultimately we just had the local MB dealer install one of their curved brackets (which they did for free). No issues since.

Old 12-11-2020, 03:25 PM
Winching
Received 558 Likes on 252 Posts

Like many of you, I also received the same, ready-to-screw-on bracket from my LR dealer. They asked me upon delivery if I wanted them to install it for free, and I told them not to. They made me sign something to that effect. We'll see how long I can get away without it before getting a "fix it" ticket (I am in Cali and the front plate should be mandatory.)

This is the first time I am being given a choice actually, on previous cars (including 2 LR from the same dealer) the front license plate bracket was already screwed in place when I picked up the new car.

The following users liked this post:
AldoRay (05-24-2021)

Quick Reply: US front license plate holder