2020 Defender Talk about the new 2020 Land Rover Defender
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Use side mounted gear carrier for water?!

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2022, 05:34 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 55 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by GrouseK9
@VillaDazzler - Thanks for the update/Post. Great solution there. Also, liking your rig! I'm thinking a trailer may be in your future, though.
There's a kitchen sink in there somewhere too!
Do you think I need to cut back on hobbies?
I tow an Opus when the family comes along...

Note the prop...

Otherwise, prefer a simpler setup...

The following 3 users liked this post by VillaDazzler:
GavinC (11-03-2022), GrouseK9 (11-04-2022), MattF (11-04-2022)
Old 11-04-2022, 04:00 AM
Drifting
Received 23 Likes on 9 Posts

Awesome setup! Could you take a moment and explain more your setup? Do I understand correctly you somehow get warm water? DO I see a filter, you fill it up from wild? Does all the weight (how much is it?) not hinder the back door? How bad is it when parking on a slope and opening the door? What is that folded thing on the roof? Why 2 cannopies? So many questions.. I know

J

The following users liked this post:
VillaDazzler (11-13-2022)
Old 11-04-2022, 08:43 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,279 Likes on 764 Posts

@VillaDazzler - You are now my Overlanding INSPIRATION! Share more pics, anytime...

VillaDazzler (11-13-2022)
Old 11-13-2022, 07:17 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 55 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Parukas
Awesome setup! Could you take a moment and explain more your setup? Do I understand correctly you somehow get warm water? DO I see a filter, you fill it up from wild? Does all the weight (how much is it?) not hinder the back door? How bad is it when parking on a slope and opening the door? What is that folded thing on the roof? Why 2 cannopies? So many questions.. I know

J
@Parukas thanks for the questions. It took a few attempts to get the water pump setup right and I think there is still room for improvement with the tubing. I've shared a few photos from a short trip last weekend. The filter is the best I've seen on the market for RV's from a treatment perspective. (I am a water treatment design engineer btw) It's from a company called Thirsty Nomad and it removes pathogens, arsenic and heavy metals using multiple barriers of adsorption media. If you are going to throw it directly into a turbid stream you need more pre-treatment which they also offer. Looks like they now have a portable pump setup too! https://thethirstynomad.com.au/
I heat the water using a Companion Aquaheat shower unit that runs on a lithium battery and propane gas. I only carry this though when the family comes along and usually it's strapped on the BA Tents rear tyre mount. Otherwise, when the hoses are connected and I need water, then I simply open a valve or use the shower head. The pump has a pressure cutoff switch. The valves, tube and fittings are potable grade and from a company called John Guest. I ran an andersen plug mount from my auxiliary lithium battery to the external tow hitch, this is completely independent from AGM starter battery. The canopy you can see on the starboard side side of the vehicle is a shower tent. The folded thing on the port side of the roof is a 10'8" portabote. The rear door is surprisingly solid even when everything is fully loaded on the rear tyre (both top and side mounts, sparesbox, heater shower, bike rack, maxtrax, shovel etc). It will hold open on an angle once you press the barn door latch but I try and find a level spot or angle my setup so that I don't accidently cop a barn door in the backside when I am grabbing a beer from the fridge.

GrouseK9 (11-14-2022)