2020 Defender Talk about the new 2020 Land Rover Defender
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Want to make a buck? Help me find the source of this rattle.

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2023, 11:08 PM
Mudding
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by this_account_is_mt
Are you out of warranty already? If not, and if you're in the US (other places likely as well), the dealer shouldn't be charging you anything for this.

Beyond that, find a shop with chassis ears at least. They're often a pain, but can be useful for stuff like this.

Better yet, find a shop with a Pico scope that has NVH and time domain capabilities. This could be very hard, but multiple manufacturers support it, Mercedes for sure and I think BMW also, so if JLR hasn't jumped on board already they might in the next 5-10 years lol. I could have your noise pinpointed to about a one inch square within about 30 minutes assuming a bunch of panels or parts don't need to be removed to access the source and also assuming the noise happens regularly. There are independent shops running Pico as well, but another difficult thing is finding someone who actually knows how to run it efficiently. It isn't hard at all, it's just new tech that a lot of people haven't done much or any training on. Honestly I think an MB dealer would be your best bet here, if you can get them to bother with your LR, as MB very recently did a big Pico training push. If you want to go that route, your best bet will be to talk to their shop foreman and explain your situation. Mention the Pico, and don't ask them to actually fix it unless they want to, just pinpoint with Pico. Obviously you'll be paying their prices, and they'll probably want you to authorize 3-ish hours up front. All that being said, not all MB dealers, or BMW, or whoever, will have a Pico even if they know what it is, partially because they're not cheap. And even if they do have one, they may not have the sensors for noise diagnosis.

$50 lol

Good luck
Desperate times call for desperate measures. I am out of my warranty period, here in the US we didn’t get ours extended.

The main issue here is it doesn’t happen regularly. Only on certain section of roads on my commute can I be reasonably sure it will occur to some extent.

My dealer has been great with everything BUT solving this issue. They legitimately wanted $390 to tear apart the rear seats WITHOUT hearing the noise or driving the vehicle themselves. If they replicated the noise and were certain it was coming from there, I’d even pay it at this point.

Old 10-18-2023, 11:59 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

I had a similar rattle coming from what I thought to be the second row passenger side. I ended up putting a felt sticker used for furniture feet inside the emergency triangle storage compartment. It was causing the rattle. Worth a shot.

Old 10-19-2023, 08:36 AM
Mudding

Originally Posted by AvoTow
I had a similar rattle coming from what I thought to be the second row passenger side. I ended up putting a felt sticker used for furniture feet inside the emergency triangle storage compartment. It was causing the rattle. Worth a shot.
Are you referring to the green container it’s kept in or the door itself? I’ve tried the latter.

Old 10-19-2023, 06:52 PM
Overlanding
Received 22 Likes on 7 Posts

I had a similar rattle coming from the tailgate.

The sideway "T" shaped plastic door guide was rubbing into the "C" shaped catch in the door frame.
I have found that using cloth/felt tape (so cheap on aliexpress) into both of those helped considerably.

I have bought several width variation of that tape and used it in every spot were plastic rubs/creaks/rattles throughout the car.

Best few $$$ spent.

Old 10-24-2023, 06:34 AM
4wd Low
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Do you have a roof rack?

Ive started putting my bikes on it, and ive been sitting and walking on it. This has damaged or bent something in the first element of the rack. Its the black frame piece that has the wind deflector. It clanks on certain resonant frequencies and was driving me mad. It took me ages to locate where the rattle was coming from.

Old 10-25-2023, 03:04 PM
Overlanding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not sure if I'm listening to the right sound, but the noise I'm zeroing in on sounds to me like some sort of actuator/servo failing. The active strut could be the culprit. I have no idea if this would work, but you could try unplugging the strut and driving to see if the noise is eliminated. You will probably throw a CEL code but it should still be drivable.

Old 10-29-2023, 10:17 AM
Mudding

Originally Posted by ryanjl
Not sure if I'm listening to the right sound, but the noise I'm zeroing in on sounds to me like some sort of actuator/servo failing. The active strut could be the culprit. I have no idea if this would work, but you could try unplugging the strut and driving to see if the noise is eliminated. You will probably throw a CEL code but it should still be drivable.
Appreciate the diagnosis, but sitting in the back, I am almost certain the sound is coming from above me. It sounds like it’s coming from the ceiling/roof

Old 10-29-2023, 10:18 AM
Mudding

Originally Posted by Dokodoko
Do you have a roof rack?

Ive started putting my bikes on it, and ive been sitting and walking on it. This has damaged or bent something in the first element of the rack. Its the black frame piece that has the wind deflector. It clanks on certain resonant frequencies and was driving me mad. It took me ages to locate where the rattle was coming from.
I do have the roof rack. What specifically was loose on yours? This sounds like it may be what I’m dealing with. I load a tent up there occasionally and walk on it.

Old 11-03-2023, 09:08 PM
Mudding

Just as an update, I have traced it to the safari window plastic trim on the inside. Banging on the drivers side plastic safari window surround makes this noise. Cant figure out how to fix it.

Old 11-04-2023, 12:17 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 2,507 Likes on 1,018 Posts

A couple of rubber spacers, some folded paper or a couple of wads of balled up chewing gum could work.

I’ve been ignoring it.

Quick Reply: Want to make a buck? Help me find the source of this rattle.