2020 Defender Talk about the new 2020 Land Rover Defender
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What aftermarket wheels are you guys using?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2023, 09:11 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 92 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by Md-dave
Sorry for the delay. Things got a bit hectic at work.
Fyi, still deciding if I should take off the RAI or leave it and look like a fool to those who know. 😂

Still waiting for my Morimoto light bar. The latest estimate is late July. I also don’t have the tent up there right now, but hope to get out for a weekend soon.

Absolutely stunning. Thanks for the photos mate! Enjoy!

The following 3 users liked this post by starbai:
gurka01 (06-02-2023), the continuum (02-18-2024), yfy89 (06-19-2023)
Old 06-02-2023, 01:48 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,279 Likes on 764 Posts

Not sure what an RAI is, but I eventually took off my Molle Plates. I thought they looked cool and were semi-useful when overlanding. However, even my noise damaged ears couldn't take the increase in road noise. I noticed after I removed them that even Simon removed his from the Stig. Maybe the same reason. BTW - That rig looks GREAT!

Old 06-02-2023, 02:25 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 92 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by Md-dave
Sorry for the delay. Things got a bit hectic at work.
Fyi, still deciding if I should take off the RAI or leave it and look like a fool to those who know. 😂

Still waiting for my Morimoto light bar. The latest estimate is late July. I also don’t have the tent up there right now, but hope to get out for a weekend soon.

Curious. What am I looking at here? Is this just what it looks like with the trim removed or do you have some sort of custom mounting solution in this area? (Window trim)

The following users liked this post:
yfy89 (06-07-2023)
Old 06-02-2023, 02:29 PM
Drifting
Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by GrouseK9
Not sure what an RAI is, but I eventually took off my Molle Plates. I thought they looked cool and were semi-useful when overlanding. However, even my noise damaged ears couldn't take the increase in road noise. I noticed after I removed them that even Simon removed his from the Stig. Maybe the same reason. BTW - That rig looks GREAT!
Thanks! I took off one of the molle plates already and I am considering removing the other one. My issue is that they are not stiff enough to take the weight of the rotopak and not flex and wobble. I had my first aid kit mounted on the same one as the gas rotopak but it made a bunch of noise because it would wobble.

starbai (06-02-2023)
Old 06-02-2023, 05:54 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by starbai
Curious. What am I looking at here? Is this just what it looks like with the trim removed or do you have some sort of custom mounting solution in this area? (Window trim)
That is a piece that replaces the trim. I didn’t want to drill into the trim piece to mount the molle panels. PowerfulUK sells them. I kept it on there after I took off the molle plate because it is a great place to hang things from while camping. I hook a towel there for cleanup after dinner and I have hung some lengths of rope there, etc. Right now you see black electrical tape in the channel there because I decided to get some black mounting bolts, but they started to rust so I need to get some better ones.

Utility Side Rails

Last edited by Md-dave; 06-02-2023 at 06:01 PM.
Old 06-02-2023, 06:06 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by GrouseK9
Not sure what an RAI is,
Raised Air Intake - the point of my embarrassment. 😂

Old 06-02-2023, 11:53 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 120 Likes on 42 Posts

Sorry to hear about the mole plates. I almost bought them but because I have the frontrunner rack I wouldn't be able to mount them, though sounds like I would not have been happy with them anyways. Instead I bought some mounts for the rear tire to hold my rotopax cans or recovery boards.

The following 2 users liked this post by Adamalli:
GavinC (06-03-2023), yfy89 (06-07-2023)
Old 06-03-2023, 02:57 AM
Winching
Received 561 Likes on 252 Posts

FWIW, I run the PowerfulUK right-hand molle plate with two, 2.5-gal FuelPax cans (think Roto-Pax "lite", not built as sturdy as RoroPax since regular blow molded rather than roto-molded, but a bit thinner, lighter and with a bit better capacity), pretty much all the time, empty or full depending of whether I am overlanding / off-roading in the boonies or driving in the city for business. I can't hear wind noise from plate or cans at all back there. I did put a little foam tape on the contact points of the cans against the molle plate, to minimize noise from vibrations, especially when off-road. Other than that, the setup seems whisper quiet to me.

I don't have a RAI or a roof rack, which are probably much worse "offenders" when it comes to wind noise. And I did use two specially designed backing plates as reinforcements for the two lockable Roro-Pax mounts, which probably helped a great deal in minimizing any vibrations and flex of the molle plate when these are both on and filled with 5 gallons total of fuel. I'd definitely recommend using backing plates if mounting any type of fuel cans or other heavy-iah accessories on these molle plates, they are made of fairly thin aluminum after all.

Old 06-03-2023, 06:21 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by umbertob
FWIW, I run the PowerfulUK right-hand molle plate with two, 2.5-gal FuelPax cans (think Roto-Pax "lite", not built as sturdy as RoroPax since regular blow molded rather than roto-molded, but a bit thinner, lighter and with a bit better capacity), pretty much all the time, empty or full depending of whether I am overlanding / off-roading in the boonies or driving in the city for business. I can't hear wind noise from plate or cans at all back there. I did put a little foam tape on the contact points of the cans against the molle plate, to minimize noise from vibrations, especially when off-road. Other than that, the setup seems whisper quiet to me.

I don't have a RAI or a roof rack, which are probably much worse "offenders" when it comes to wind noise. And I did use two specially designed backing plates as reinforcements for the two lockable Roro-Pax mounts, which probably helped a great deal in minimizing any vibrations and flex of the molle plate when these are both on and filled with 5 gallons total of fuel. I'd definitely recommend using backing plates if mounting any type of fuel cans or other heavy-iah accessories on these molle plates, they are made of fairly thin aluminum after all.
Thanks @umbertob ! I just placed an order for the backing plates. Maybe I will just make one for the first aid kit and see if that works. Would be nice to have the storage space again.

p.s. Good to see you on another forum. If my memory serves me, I think I remember you from RR.net, and maybe one or two others.

Old 06-03-2023, 06:25 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Adamalli
Sorry to hear about the mole plates. I almost bought them but because I have the frontrunner rack I wouldn't be able to mount them, though sounds like I would not have been happy with them anyways. Instead I bought some mounts for the rear tire to hold my rotopax cans or recovery boards.

Did that come with both of the mounts, or did you get two of the rear tire mounts? I have one that looks just like that but it only has the single mount. That is where my first aid kit is mounted currently.

yfy89 (06-19-2023)

Quick Reply: What aftermarket wheels are you guys using?