Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What did you do to your Defender today?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2023, 11:09 AM
Mudding
Received 139 Likes on 63 Posts
Default Fender flares

Finally got around to I stalling the factory wider gender flares. I bought these over a year ago but had too many other projects. Heading on an overlanding trip for a week in Oregon so the Defender is getting some time. Easy install and looks great.

Install is easy. Pull off old ones, clean and prep paint area. I found it useful to remove the new clips and line it up and then tape it off. An adhesive activator comes in the kit so u want proper prep for the tape. Everything snaps back together. Watch a video on Youtube and see. Totally worth it. Truck looks more complete now.

The following 5 users liked this post by spikemd:
Beastly (09-25-2023), COBoarder (09-19-2023), dj200 (09-18-2023), MattF (09-19-2023), yocut33m (09-18-2023)
Old 09-18-2023, 01:06 PM
Mudding
Received 139 Likes on 63 Posts

Question about the trailer wiring harness relocation...I hate getting down so low with the plug and u tow our boat frequently. I have also broken the cover and waiting on a possible replacement as the cover helps keep the plug inserted.

Anyway, is the plug connected to a bracket behind the bumper? I just took off the bumper this weekend for the tow hook install and looked at the wiring for the plug. Any more details are much appreciated.

Originally Posted by Adamalli
Today I decided to relocate the trailer 7 pin tow harness. The standard location is a real pain to get to if you are hooking up trailers a lot. You basically have to get on the ground to do it. So I moved it to the back bumper to the right of the license plate. It does ruin the aesthetic a little but it is so much easier to get too. And I didn't even have to take the bumper off and was able to reuse all the same parts. I also moved my anderson plug to the same location.

Old location with 7 pin removed.

New location.

The following 2 users liked this post by spikemd:
POPTOPP (09-18-2023), warkeld (09-19-2023)
Old 09-18-2023, 02:20 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 94 Likes on 35 Posts

Yes the plug is connected to the bracket behind the bumper. If you are taking the bumper off it will be much easier to remove the plug from the bracket. Unfortunately it is probably harder to mount the plug on the bumper with it off as the wiring harness isn't very long. Though I think there is a connector somewhere along the wiring harness before it enters the body of the car. With the bumper off it will be easy to locate the connector, if it exists, and then you can mount the plug on the bumper with it off the car.

Old 09-18-2023, 08:47 PM
Overlanding
Received 27 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Lucky8 Stealth Winch

Finally made the time to install my Lucky8 Stealth Winch and the Land Rover Skid Plate. Took a total of 20hrs over 3 days but most of the instructions were accurate and easy to follow. The three exceptions was the front parking sensors, the instructions showed them mounted backwards to how my install need them installed, the winch plate support legs needed a bunch of spacers to make contact with the frame, and the brake dams reinstall just said to zip tie, and I had to figure out where and how. But those were the only issues over 150 pages of instructions. Very happy with final result.

Last edited by warkeld; 09-18-2023 at 08:56 PM.
The following 6 users liked this post by warkeld:
COBoarder (09-19-2023), Husky44 (09-18-2023), oldskoolarcher (09-19-2023), Phil McCracken (09-19-2023), spikemd (09-19-2023), WAFOX (10-07-2023) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 09-18-2023, 09:38 PM
Mudding
Received 97 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by warkeld
Finally made the time to install my Lucky8 Stealth Winch and the Land Rover Skid Plate. Took a total of 20hrs over 3 days but most of the instructions were accurate and easy to follow. The three exceptions was the front parking sensors, the instructions showed them mounted backwards to how my install need them installed, the winch plate support legs needed a bunch of spacers to make contact with the frame, and the brake dams reinstall just said to zip tie, and I had to figure out where and how. But those were the only issues over 150 pages of instructions. Very happy with final result.

Nice work warkeld . I just had that kit delivered last week. I am installing soon. I went this route as Lucky8 has a Bull bar setup coming that uses their stealth mount so I am preparing for that. I will also be installing the LED grill while I have it off. Today I started the install of the Lucky8 ditch light kit with Baja Design Squadron lights. Still have some wiring to finish and to adjust them but it is coming along.

The following 2 users liked this post by ORDPA:
WAFOX (10-07-2023), warkeld (09-19-2023)
Old 09-19-2023, 04:53 AM
Overlanding

Originally Posted by ORDPA
Nice work warkeld . I just had that kit delivered last week. I am installing soon. I went this route as Lucky8 has a Bull bar setup coming that uses their stealth mount so I am preparing for that. I will also be installing the LED grill while I have it off. Today I started the install of the Lucky8 ditch light kit with Baja Design Squadron lights. Still have some wiring to finish and to adjust them but it is coming along.

Looking good! Hadnt heard about the L8 Bull Bar, looking forward to seeing it once it comes out.

Old 09-19-2023, 07:12 AM
Mudding

Originally Posted by warkeld
Looking good! Hadnt heard about the L8 Bull Bar, looking forward to seeing it once it comes out.
I found out about it from another thread a while back so I contacted them directly. Was told hopefully by the end of the year and that it would use the stealth Mount if I wanted to get a head start. Here is the best picture I have of it.

The following 2 users liked this post by ORDPA:
WAFOX (10-07-2023), warkeld (09-19-2023)
Old 09-19-2023, 07:36 AM
Drifting
Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

Warkfield - how well does the camera work in its higher up position? Seem to be as good as where it was originally located? I am thinking about the offroad camera views etc. Thanks for any input and your upgrade looks great, BTW. Nice job.

Old 09-19-2023, 07:55 AM
Mudding

Good question on the camera. Honestly I am not a fan of L8’s placement after the winch is mounted. A buddy of mine and I are planning on working out a 3D printed mount that can be attached basically back in the stock position and angle. Might have to modify the new L8 removable grill panel a little. Will work out the bull bar camera placement once that is available. I think what I have in mind will work already but we will see.

The following users liked this post:
SpyHop (09-19-2023)
Old 09-19-2023, 09:56 AM
Overlanding

Originally Posted by SpyHop
Warkfield - how well does the camera work in its higher up position? Seem to be as good as where it was originally located? I am thinking about the offroad camera views etc. Thanks for any input and your upgrade looks great, BTW. Nice job.
In the L8 instructions it tells you how to orient the camera. I followed the instructions and the image on the camera works perfectly. That said, the two yellow parking lines are currently pointing upward at about a 20' angle. I did read on someone else's post that they had same issue and the computer auto-adjusted for him after a week and the lines pointed correctly after that. Will updated on here if the same happens with my computer.

Quick Reply: What did you do to your Defender today?