2020 Defender Talk about the new 2020 Land Rover Defender
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is this rattle? Rear Suspension Dampener? Will my rig be okay for another 1K Mi?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2023, 11:53 PM
Drifting
Received 36 Likes on 14 Posts
Default What is this rattle? Rear Suspension Dampener? Will my rig be okay for another 1K Mi?

Wanted to get a broader set of perspectives - if this will still be okay for over a 1K mile drive. (Have a quick trip next week and will be at dealer week after)

A few on instagram were helpful to mention that this could be the adaptive damper / active air suspension. Some say it shouldn’t move; definitely not rattle. Happy to have anyone else confirm what it may be.

I have nearly 30k miles on my rig. The noise started to happen a week+ ago from the rear; and today I took everything out and had someone sit in the back to find out what the rattle was… and it was this thing.

Left side (driver) moves but is silent; right side (passenger) is way louder when it moves. Moves when I’m on roughy roads. Silent on smooth roads (doesn’t move).

Anyone else have this happen to them?

See video here of sounds and visual:

https://youtube.com/shorts/gNXVyZZOtho?feature=share

Photos of component:

The metal bit below the wiring / plug in the center is what moves up and down; and causing the rattle. Only moves when in rough road; leading me to think it’s adaptive dampening / suspension.

Close up

Farther away.

Old 05-21-2023, 02:25 AM
Winching
Received 451 Likes on 214 Posts

If the shaft under the connector from the active suspension moves, it looks like broken to me.
Bring it in to your dealer they have to replace the active shock absorber.

Old 05-21-2023, 01:51 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Defendit..
If the shaft under the connector from the active suspension moves, it looks like broken to me.
Bring it in to your dealer they have to replace the active shock absorber.
yeah. I’ll update this thread in a few weeks once I’m back at the dealership and the let me know the specifics and the fix.

till then hoping this this drives okay. Seems okay.

Old 05-25-2023, 11:26 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,253 Likes on 672 Posts

You have a broken shock. I wouldn't drive it like this.

A couple vids online of some folks breaking these off road (notably, the all knowing guru Sarek I believe has also posted up about his findings on this issue as well on forums or Facebook)

Old 08-29-2023, 09:01 PM
Overlanding
Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Did you ever resolve this? I had a similar issue (right side, rattled on rough roads but no where near as much as in your video). I discovered the nut below the sensor wasn't tight. I torqued it down (spec is in the workshop manual) and that seemed to have cured it.

Old 08-30-2023, 01:07 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by denhams
Did you ever resolve this? I had a similar issue (right side, rattled on rough roads but no where near as much as in your video). I discovered the nut below the sensor wasn't tight. I torqued it down (spec is in the workshop manual) and that seemed to have cured it.
interesting. I haven’t tried to tighten anything on my end. At the end of May the dealership notes: rattle is coming from rear shock brace mounts. The parts are in order with no eta. Going to call them tomorrow to get and update as 3 months have passed now. Good news is I’ve driven over 6k miles since then. Doesn’t seem to be any major difference in vehicle performance other than the noise.

Old 08-30-2023, 09:28 AM
Mudding
Received 85 Likes on 57 Posts

Thank you so much for reviving this thread!

I've had a rattle coming from the rear passenger side that just started a weeks ago (right after some extensive off-roading) and it has been driving me crazy. The sound is exactly like what is in the video.

Going to have to check it out.

Thanks again!

Old 10-11-2023, 01:25 PM
Mudding
Received 85 Likes on 57 Posts

Just following up on this thread in case anyone else runs across the issue.

Broken shock brace was diagnosed in the passenger side rear. No eta on parts as of 10/10/23. Was told it wasn't an issue to drive it. Hope that is the case.

The following 2 users liked this post by Nick4:
MattF (10-17-2023), nashvegas (10-17-2023)
Old 04-07-2024, 06:24 PM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default resolved

was this resolved at the dealer, and is it an easy fix ? I have the same problem.

QUOTE=ponder;865631]Wanted to get a broader set of perspectives - if this will still be okay for over a 1K mile drive. (Have a quick trip next week and will be at dealer week after)

A few on instagram were helpful to mention that this could be the adaptive damper / active air suspension. Some say it shouldn’t move; definitely not rattle. Happy to have anyone else confirm what it may be.

I have nearly 30k miles on my rig. The noise started to happen a week+ ago from the rear; and today I took everything out and had someone sit in the back to find out what the rattle was… and it was this thing.

Left side (driver) moves but is silent; right side (passenger) is way louder when it moves. Moves when I’m on roughy roads. Silent on smooth roads (doesn’t move).

Anyone else have this happen to them?

See video here of sounds and visual:

Photos of component:

The metal bit below the wiring / plug in the center is what moves up and down; and causing the rattle. Only moves when in rough road; leading me to think it’s adaptive dampening / suspension.

Close up

Farther away. [/QUOTE]

Old 04-07-2024, 08:46 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 2,507 Likes on 1,018 Posts

Very interesting

i have the same rattle in the same place.

hiding behind the panel where the dial for the cargo/third row ac control is.

the frequency and nature of the rattle are identical.

it lessens when I have the cargo area loaded. I think the plastic panel acts like a drum when there is no cargo present.

I notice it more when i first drive. Calms down a bit with use.

shock looks fully intact from underneath.

Quick Reply: What is this rattle? Rear Suspension Dampener? Will my rig be okay for another 1K Mi?