2020 Defender Talk about the new 2020 Land Rover Defender
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is the Single, Simple Change You'd Like to See on Defender?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2022, 08:04 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 191 Likes on 113 Posts
Default What is the Single, Simple Change You'd Like to See on Defender?

As rumors of a mid-cycle refresh (2023.5) circulate, let's put our heads together to compile a list of realistic changes we'd like to see. For the record, I don't believe a refresh is coming so soon, but I'll play along. The Defender is a cool platform no doubt and represents kind of a neat space in the market above the mouth breathers like Jeeps and Broncos but at a price point well below the G-Wagon (which is far too gaudy in U.S. spec anyway). Good as it is, there are some things I long for having lived with mine for a year and a half or so. So my nomination for a realistic change would be:

33" tires

This would open up a whole new world of possibilities in terms of tire choice, gain us a precious half in of clearance and look a bit better in the bargain. With Raptors and Broncos coming on 37s now, a 32" tire comes off as a bit weak. Nevermind the 'requirement' for 20" wheels (as 19s are a joke in terms of tire choice) on P400s, I'd live with it if I could gain a bit more sidewall by stepping up to a 33". I know many have gone up to bigger tires with mixed results with many claiming 'no rub' while others have issues but I have air suspension and don't want rubbing at full lock in access mode. I'd just like the platform to be designed and engineered around clearing a 33" tire, that's all. Looking forward to some of your responses.

The following 5 users liked this post by CombatNinja:
curb-optional (06-23-2023), Joh66 (03-18-2024), LRDEF2LR (05-06-2022), sna77 (08-11-2022), The Phantom Menace (05-24-2024)
Old 05-06-2022, 08:25 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,254 Likes on 746 Posts

#1. Deliver the features advertised. This, imo, is more important than any 10 new features.
2. Allow 18" wheels on any Defender. Charge extra for it and everyone will be happy. Yeah, you can say you're not happy to pay for it, but I bet if you did the caliper swap or grind, you'd have paid vs. doing that!
3. Windshield upgrade. I'll pay more for something more robust! It doesn't need to stop a steel ball thrown at a product release media event, but I'd pay for stronger windows before all the other options of window types out there.
4. Sliders. Already installed sliders that don't require all the under carriage felt/cardboard to be removed.
5. Dual gas tanks.
6. Dual batteries already installed. LOTS of folks are trying to mod it this way anyway.
7. A true snorkel option.

The following 6 users liked this post by GrouseK9:
curb-optional (06-14-2023), DefenderSISU (06-30-2023), DonMitsu (05-11-2022), Lnberger (05-06-2022), longtrip68 (03-14-2024), The Phantom Menace (05-24-2024) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 05-06-2022, 08:40 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 191 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by GrouseK9
#1. Deliver the features advertised. This, imo, is more important than any 10 new features.
Ouch. Good point I guess but probably not simple or easily addressed.
2. Allow 18" wheels on any Defender. Charge extra for it and everyone will be happy. Yeah, you can say you're not happy to pay for it, but I bet if you did the caliper swap or grind, you'd have paid vs. doing that!
Not realistic given the Euro-centric caravan towing requirements they baked in. I believe brake size was an important consideration in the design.
3. Windshield upgrade. I'll pay more for something more robust! It doesn't need to stop a steel ball thrown at a product release media event, but I'd pay for stronger windows before all the other options of window types out there.
Fair point. though I should hope they are addressing this as a running change as it stands. Are 2022s breaking at the same rate as early cars?
4. Sliders. Already installed sliders that don't require all the under carriage felt/cardboard to be removed.
Hmmm. Interesting. Not sure they could justify the 150+ pounds these weigh for the 1% of customers who would care. I think you'd see a measurable economy decrease. This might also play into some sort of crash performance? Jeep offers them optionally, so it can be done.
5. Dual gas tanks.
Not sure this meets muster as 'realistic'. Where is it going to go? The platform is jammed under there with tech and doodads all pulled tight to provide clearance.
6. Dual batteries already installed. LOTS of folks are trying to mod it this way anyway.
Also interesting. Maybe something like Jeep's Heavy Duty Electrical pack with a beefy alternator too (why not throw in some up fitter switches a la the Bronco while we're at it? I like this idea.
Question is what actually limits intake height? Where it ingests air or is there some sensitive electrical item that is lower? Or climate control would start ingesting first? Not sure but I'm sure this plays into liability and the lawyers would put a stop to it. The truck can already drive through 3 feet of water, do you want your customers attempting 5 feet? That much water, even moving slowly, exerts a massive amount of force on a car that could flip it easily in the hands of suburban Dad on a camping trip.
I like some of these ideas. Keep 'em coming.

Last edited by CombatNinja; 05-06-2022 at 08:43 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by CombatNinja:
curb-optional (06-14-2023), GrouseK9 (05-06-2022), LRDEF2LR (05-06-2022)
Old 05-06-2022, 08:48 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 2,297 Likes on 948 Posts

The big Harumph
18" wheels stock (or smaller) in the P400 is the most important one and most costly to remedy.

Better OEM tire options in the build. Some LT A/T options on the 18" would have been nice.

Extra Bonus Complaints
An OEM snorkel (RAI adds nothing for me as I rarely traverse the Kalihari or Simpson Desert )

An OEM slider option in the build.

All items I would gladly have paid for in my build, most all are items I will add at some point (if/when aftermarket options appear for the snorkel).

Adding the third row without all the extra aircon costs would have been good. (adds family pack automatically in the MY22 build)

The following 2 users liked this post by GavinC:
GrouseK9 (05-06-2022), longtrip68 (03-14-2024)
Old 05-06-2022, 08:59 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 2,297 Likes on 948 Posts

On the snorkel, it's not so much that you want to go much deeper but at 900mm any sort of bow wave is going to run the risk of water ingress. It adds a safety feature to crossings you lose without one. You might encounter a hole where you go deeper for a little bit. Either way, it's peace of mind.

Heavier options can be just that, options. Side steps seem insanely popular, (I've no idea why, it's not hard to get in for even small kids) reduce clearance and add weight. Why not have a slider option.

Dual fuel tanks are available aftermarket in Australia where it's really needed. I wonder in LR will eventually have an OEM option there. The bullbar is essential in Australia and they meet that demand. On a numbers standpoint, I think there might be more US factory rock slider customers (if option existed) than Aussie customers for the ubiquitous roo-bar.

The following 3 users liked this post by GavinC:
GrouseK9 (05-06-2022), nashvegas (06-09-2022), rcmike57 (07-01-2023)
Old 05-06-2022, 09:09 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,394 Likes on 688 Posts

5. Dual gas tanks.
Great list! You might want to look below for 7, 6, 4, 2 (17" standard, 18" optional) Hopefully No1 and 3 will be baked in.

EDIT: oops, ignore the "hydrogen" bit on the side of this truck. I just grabbed it because it's a cool picture.

The following 2 users liked this post by NoGaBiker:
ADVAW8S (05-09-2022), GavinC (05-06-2022)
Old 05-06-2022, 09:13 AM
Super Moderator
Received 96 Likes on 45 Posts

PHEV variant
SVX variant

The following users liked this post:
Trajan (06-14-2023)
Old 05-06-2022, 09:35 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,254 Likes on 746 Posts

Oops. I thought you asked for a wish list, not a reality list. I would have dumped #1 thru 7!<g>

BTW - Tanks are already done:
View this post on Instagram
. They usually start hyping about 3-6 mos before putting them for sale on their site.

@NoGaBiker - Yep, on the wait list. The good news wrt JLR is they have taught me to be patient with long waits for vehicles /s. It may be the only thing that pries the my Defender outta my hands.

Last edited by GrouseK9; 05-06-2022 at 09:41 AM.
The following users liked this post:
LRDEF2LR (05-06-2022)
Old 05-06-2022, 11:17 AM
Mudding
Received 267 Likes on 107 Posts

2. Allow 18" wheels on any Defender.
I would go a step further and allow 17” wheels with a “real” bolt pattern (5x5, 6x5.5) - for lots of choices in aftermarket wheels.

Old 05-06-2022, 11:31 AM
Mudding
Received 85 Likes on 50 Posts

My comments are for the D90.

Fully lay flat seats- without pulling the seat bottom off- and raising the subfloor to avoid the dumb cross bar. I know it has no storage but a couple of tweaks would make it a lot easier. You should be able to drop one or two of the seats down at the push of a button but this is a PITA.

Also, a little more speed in the motor to move the seat up to get to the back seat. It reminds me of the austin powers scene with the golf cart it is so slow..

The following 4 users liked this post by MacMia:
angelboing (05-07-2022), GrouseK9 (05-06-2022), Lnberger (05-14-2022), Rov3rGal (06-15-2022)

Quick Reply: What is the Single, Simple Change You'd Like to See on Defender?