2020 Defender Talk about the new 2020 Land Rover Defender
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Where buy Castrol Edge Professional in the USA?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2021, 07:59 PM
Drifting
Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Where buy Castrol Edge Professional in the USA?

I’ve asked this in a general thread, but no responses...so maybe it’s a stupid question.

Where can you buy the 0w-20 Castrol Edge Professional in the USA for our defenders? The Castrol USA website doesn’t even make mention of it

Last edited by Bukmar; 03-31-2021 at 10:23 AM. Reason: wrong weight oil original listed
Old 03-30-2021, 06:54 AM
Winching
Received 171 Likes on 129 Posts

It's a dealer only oil. You can purchase it at Walmart or other stores as Castrol Edge extended performance. It might not be the same oil but it does have the same properties as the castrol professional. I use the Castrol Edge extended performance and bring it to the dealer as one time I had an oil change on my L320 and did a black stone sample and found a lot of sodium using the dealer's Castrol professional. Unless the dealer's oil comes in a bottle I would not trust their bulk oil.

The following users liked this post:
Kev M (03-30-2021)
Old 03-30-2021, 09:22 AM
Winching
Received 559 Likes on 252 Posts

If you must use oil with the required approvals by Land Rover for your specific engine (which you may want to do if you own a new Defender and are still under factory warranty), the Castrol oil you need is only available from your dealer - assuming they are willing to sell it to you, some of them aren't either because their oil arrives in bulk only or just because they think we should not perform our own oil changes and should only bring our cars to them.

You will find other high quality, brand name oils with the proper LR approvals available at retail, however. Just keep the receipts for any possible warranty implications. I have been buying Liqui Moly Special Tec LR 0W-20 on Amazon for my 2020 Defender, but there may be more.

The following 2 users liked this post by umbertob:
Kev M (03-30-2021), PaulLR (04-01-2021)
Old 03-30-2021, 04:53 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 698 Likes on 405 Posts

You can purchase the official Land Rover oil from Atlantic British.

However, no where in North America (not even the dealers) is the newly specified oil available. The one which supposedly can go to 21K miles.

I have spoken to several dealers and none know of any timing to switch, nor have plans or hopes to do so.

https://www.roverparts.com/filters/kits/OCK150/

Last edited by TrioLRowner; 03-30-2021 at 05:02 PM.
Old 03-30-2021, 07:46 PM
Drifting

Thanks all. I’ve bought some of the Mobil 1 that meets the JLR standard.

Kev M (03-30-2021)
Old 03-30-2021, 08:59 PM
Winching

I know of no versions of Mobil 1 0W-20 oils meeting or exceeding STJLR.51.5122 or STJLR.03.5006 standards, either of which would be approved for use with P300 and P400 engines by JLR. If you did find such an animal, especially here In the US, please share.

Old 03-30-2021, 09:26 PM
Winching

Answering my own question, Mobil 1 ESP X2 0W-20 actually meets those JLR standards, but dang that's an expensive oil.

Kev M (03-31-2021)
Old 03-31-2021, 11:46 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by umbertob
Answering my own question, Mobil 1 ESP X2 0W-20 actually meets those JLR standards, but dang that's an expensive oil.
Here's the price breakdown of 3 oil options that meet JLR specification:
$9/qt - LiquiMoly LR (amazon) = $66.60 for P300 oil change (not including oil filter)
$10/qt - Mobil 1 ESP X2 (amazon) = $74 for P300 oil change (not including oil filter)
$16/qt - Castrol Edge Professional (Atlantic British) = $118.40 for P300 oil change (not including oil filter)

They all meet the JLR specification, but does the Castrol provide any superior performance to justify the cost difference? I plan to do my own oil changes and will be doing them at a more frequent interval than 21k miles. Is every 10k miles adequate? Currently at 3000 miles.

I don't mind paying an additional $45 per oil change if it provides any extra benefit...especially if I'm only changing the oil every 5k, 7k or 10k miles (still haven't decided on an interval yet.

Old 03-31-2021, 11:56 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 304 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by Bukmar
$9/qt - LiquiMoly LR (amazon) = $66.60 for P300 oil change (not including oil filter)
$10/qt - Mobil 1 ESP X2 (amazon) = $74 for P300 oil change (not including oil filter)
$16/qt - Castrol Edge Professional (Atlantic British) = $118.40 for P300 oil change (not including oil filter)

They all meet the JLR specification, but does the Castrol provide any superior performance to justify the cost difference? I plan to do my own oil changes and will be doing them at a more frequent interval than 21k miles. Is every 10k miles adequate? Currently at 3000 miles.

I don't mind paying an additional $45 per oil change if it provides any extra benefit...especially if I'm only changing the oil every 5k, 7k or 10k miles (still haven't decided on an interval yet.

God forgive me for answering an oil thread, but here's my thought.

My career (after putting myself through college as an auto tech) is writing repair manuals/providing technical service data. I've written for almost all major aftermarket suppliers of such things. When I was with Chilton (a large part of my career) I was an early adopter of extended oil changes after seeing oil analysis data and some relatively impressive things on an SCCA BMW race car with which I was connected.

Skip ahead a few decades, I've been using 10k oil change intervals and high quality synthetics (mostly M1, but other brands as necessary with various certification ratings) on every water-cooled motor I own (I go 5-6k based on OEM recommendations on the air-cooled motorcycles, but that's another story).

Anyway, I'm a little aghast at the 21k figure. Not that I don't believe it, but old habits are hard to die. Though I have seen oil analysis come back after say 17k even on plain old M1 back in the day and it was fine. Hell I remember our Mini Cooper S used to go a long way (maybe 15k on it's computer monitored changes). So I will likely let this first fill go that long. If I change to anything else, I'll likely simplify and go 10k (and if I had to change it tomorrow I'd likely go M1 because of my long-standing use of the stuff in some extreme conditions).

YMMV - and I should say that most of our vehicles do not lead harsh lives. I might be tempted to go sooner if I lived in a desert or a tundra 24/7, but I don't.

So that was a long winded way to say that I think you'll be fine (with room to spare) should you decide to go 10k and other than the exact OEM fluids.

The following 2 users liked this post by Kev M:
Bukmar (03-31-2021), Magnumforc (04-12-2021)
Old 03-31-2021, 01:11 PM
Drifting
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Bukmar

Remember there's more going on than just miles. Do you have a lot of short trips? Are you in a cold or humid climate? Dusty roads? Towing? Stuff like that.

I'm mostly on time based schedule, not a mileage based schedule. You know how owners guides say something like "every 10K or 1 year." I go a little more than a year, something like 14 to 16 months, pretty much regardless of mileage.

Quick Reply: Where buy Castrol Edge Professional in the USA?