2020 Defender Talk about the new 2020 Land Rover Defender
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why Do You Have To Push A Button To Open Pax doors...

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2022, 03:11 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,403 Likes on 689 Posts

Obviously I know that. The question any sentient being would ask though, is why make it a separate action in the doors you use most often, and a seamless, automatic action in the rear door.

Old 01-02-2022, 03:14 PM
Mudding
Received 127 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by GrouseK9
@Muppetry - I have to admit I've had a lot of vehicles in my few decades of developing into an old man, aka curmudgeon<g>. If I threw out all the stick shifts and stuck with the automatics and then narrowed it down again I'd have two general configurations. Those with the automatic on a stick attached to the steering wheel and those that are generally "on the floor". In both cases, the automatics have gone in one direction: from Park to Reverse to Neutral to Drive to Low. Then back again. It's in one direction down and then back up. I've never had one that goes up and down from Park to the various engagements. Both the old Mini Cooper S and Mini Countryman S I had did the standard stick movements in that order, but I've not tried other JLR vehicles. (The Series IIa I had was stick and the Defender was the standard NAS style). The Defender 2 is the only one I've experienced that goes bi-directional from park. The Defender is the first that goes "Up" from Park to Reverse and "Down" from Park to forward. That seems "backwards" to me, but it's an opinion of one.

The closest I've driven to the Defender was when I once, sadly, rented a Nissan van. That was the only other vehicle I've driven where the "on the floor" automatic was on the dash. It had the same typical configuration: Park down to Reverse past Neutral to Drive and keep away from Low which was next. Again, the Defender is unlike any shifting sequence I've ever had. If they were going to reinvent things, I would have expected it the opposite way.

Can you share your experiences with vehicles of this style transmission? If there are others out there, I've missed them.
This is the first automatic transmission vehicle I've owned, so my observations are mostly based on years of driving rental vehicles. The old style was, from front to back, P-R-N-D. The only requirement, introduced in 49 CFR § 571.102 in 1971, was that neutral had to separate reverse and forwards. The original reverse forwards arrangement may have been due to the mechanical design of the gearboxes and linkages, but obviously became standard. All they have really changed is to remove P, and have the R and D settings as momentary switches centered around neutral, presumably to accommodate the manual gear changes in S mode.

After a quick search I couldn't find any vehicle manufacturers using a shift lever (rather than buttons) with the opposite pattern.

Old 01-03-2022, 06:35 AM
Drifting
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by NoGaBiker
So why do we have to push a button with our thumb before the door unlocks? I
?
I just drove a test car and still am awaiting on my ordered one and didn't notice that. Well it is really strange as the door opens in a way that you can only use your left hand/arm. Well I guess I have to get used to using the key again and pushing a button to open the doors. What I do anyway when I have the kids with me. They just can't wait for me to get near the car so I open the car way before I get to it. ;-)

The following 2 users liked this post by Ace7711:
GrouseK9 (01-03-2022), starbai (06-01-2023)