Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2024, 10:59 AM
Drifting
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

My InControl account has 3 subscription services:

Connected Navigation Pro expires: 12/24
Online Pack with Data: expires this month
Remote: Expires 10/2027

I will keep Navigation and Remote as those are the ones I use the most. Yup everything is SaaS nowadays!

Old 05-08-2024, 07:29 PM
LR Forum Vendor
Received 109 Likes on 84 Posts

Multican 814 iykyk….jus sayin….

The following users liked this post:
GrouseK9 (05-22-2024)
Old 05-08-2024, 07:31 PM
LR Forum Vendor
Received 109 Likes on 84 Posts

Dayum Nash you got 1200 likes on 600 posts. You’re the Defender baller!

Originally Posted by nashvegas
OK after reading this more carefully, I think it's like this:

Online Pack + Data Plan = 160
Online Pack + Data Plan & Wifi Enabled (aka the Hotspot) = 500

The following 3 users liked this post by markjlr:
COBoarder (05-09-2024), GrouseK9 (05-22-2024), nashvegas (05-08-2024)
Old 05-08-2024, 10:05 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,167 Likes on 627 Posts

Originally Posted by markjlr
Dayum Nash you got 1200 likes on 600 posts. You’re the Defender baller!
Really just an old Disco Bro here but thankya, you should be my Publicist!

The following users liked this post:
markjlr (05-09-2024)
Old 05-14-2024, 01:53 PM
Mudding
Received 82 Likes on 47 Posts

Just got the same email today.
Do we know if the Defender has an electron SIM card, or a real one? If real, does anyone know where it is?
I ask as with my mobile carrier (Google Fi), I can get a free data only SIM card. So would replacing it with this enable the online and data pack, at no cost to me.

Old 05-14-2024, 02:16 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by tbrown
Just got the same email today.
Do we know if the Defender has an electron SIM card, or a real one? If real, does anyone know where it is?
I ask as with my mobile carrier (Google Fi), I can get a free data only SIM card. So would replacing it with this enable the online and data pack, at no cost to me.
Seems I've answered my own question. It's an eSIM and JLR-Retrofit offer an external SIM package: https://jlr-retrofit.com/defender-l6...tspot-package/

Old 05-16-2024, 11:21 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 212 Likes on 140 Posts

I doubt that the retrofit module will work. Initial Defenders had a similar module available, but they have been replaced with the eSIM. On another hand, the eSIM is handled by TATA Communications in US, it is an eSIM based off a Nederland carrier, in a "virtual" roaming ( for the States side users ). A lot of features will expect a certain IP range. Even if the retrofit may work, your IP won't be from the same range. I would be very curious to see if any one has a real life experience with that. If so, that would be interesting to see how it works.

Old 05-17-2024, 07:24 AM
Mudding

Originally Posted by Mechano2020
I doubt that the retrofit module will work. Initial Defenders had a similar module available, but they have been replaced with the eSIM. On another hand, the eSIM is handled by TATA Communications in US, it is an eSIM based off a Nederland carrier, in a "virtual" roaming ( for the States side users ). A lot of features will expect a certain IP range. Even if the retrofit may work, your IP won't be from the same range. I would be very curious to see if any one has a real life experience with that. If so, that would be interesting to see how it works.
Wow, you think these things are locked down that much, for only a certain IP range to work? Wow.
Shame as $250 for the retrofit is less than 2 years of subscription.

Old 05-17-2024, 08:49 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 212 Likes on 140 Posts

Price aside, it has to be locked down to that level. There are a lot of security issues if not locked down. Start / Stop, tracking, probably other "key holes" that may be accessed remotely ... and ultimately a revenue stream for them.
See, the mentality of current JLR management is : " ... if they have the money to buy this vehicle, they will pony up the cash for this feature too " or something of a sort.
Not smart, but who am I to judge ?
If you want Wifi - get a Verizon JetPack, works good enough.
If you want a tracking device, get a Key Tag / tracking from a preferred vendor, or all 3 of them.
And if you want the remote start ? you can fixt that one as well, there are plenty of 3rd party alarms with cellular back up, which can fix this.
Now, is it elegant ? no ! JLR solution was nice and good, but as a principle, I would not pay 500$ / year for that. I do not find it that necessary for me - besides, I was never impressed with the ATT coverage they had.

Old 05-22-2024, 07:52 AM
Mudding
Received 120 Likes on 77 Posts

My "Online Pack + Wifi Hotspot" subscription expired last weekend, as predicted by several emails from JLR and confirmed by notifications on the PIVI system. But the only change I can see is that Tunein immediately disappeared from the list of available sources. The vehicle still shows as connected to T-Mobile and the wifi hotspot still shows in the settings and continues to work just fine.

Quick Reply: WI-FI Enabled With Data Plan Expiring