Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wind noise with LR Expedition Roof Rack

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2020, 07:42 AM
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wind noise with LR Expedition Roof Rack

I’m loving my new Defender, but the wind noise with the rack is pretty bad with roof open. Any tips or accessories to help? It creates a helicopter like effect. Any suggestions would be helpful!

Old 10-24-2020, 08:57 PM
Drifting
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

With the roof open it can get loud - of course I have a light bar and some other accessories up there to create turbulence lol. If you crack a rear window or side window it helps with the helicopter sound.

Old 10-19-2022, 09:12 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 266 Likes on 166 Posts

Guess you guys haven’t seen this yet? https://newdefendermods.com/collecti...r-wind-fairing

The following users liked this post:
mmosso (10-20-2022)
Old 10-20-2022, 06:05 AM
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Tartan
Guess you guys haven’t seen this yet? https://newdefendermods.com/collecti...r-wind-fairing
yes I saw that. It looks like a great option. My question is about the installation. I’m not sure how I would make that cut in the lower bar. I emailed the vendor and they told me it would be easy and they couldn’t send me the install directions.

Old 10-20-2022, 11:49 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,167 Likes on 627 Posts

FYI -- open each rear window 1" (mine do this 1 touch with a quick press of the window buttons) and the buffeting goes away... My expedition rack on my 110 has no noise / whistling / etc... only the slight buffeting when the pano roof is opened. Much better than any other expedition / full roof rack on the other Rovers.

ficklma1 (04-25-2023)
Old 10-20-2022, 12:13 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 245 Likes on 131 Posts

I have had that helicopter feeling/sound on lots of cars with just the sunroof/moonroof/whatever they're called when they open more than a crack. just crack one window in the back and it goes away. Don't think it's rack related honestly, just open roof.

Old 10-20-2022, 02:45 PM
Mudding
Received 167 Likes on 98 Posts

That's because it's not their product or their pictures. That's a Colorado Fairing Company fairing and the fitting photos are from this forum

Old 02-25-2023, 08:12 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

The CF fairing has arrived and it has the Fairing, 4 brackets, the 4 nuts and bolts to connect the brackets to the Fairing, and 4 rubber straps which are shown in the “non-Defender” section of installation instructions at the CF website. It looks to me that you drill your own holes in the roof rack to do the “Sanfermin” install, which looks good to me but I confess I am nervous about drilling holes and so think this not a do it myself project but go see my guy. Can I confirm the rubber straps are not needed for the Sanfermin style install? And that you need to drill 4 holes in the roof rack and acquire the appropriate hardware to mount that end of the brackets to the roof rack? Also, any direction as to the right nuts and bolts to acquire for that end of the installation would be most helpful, but probably easy to figure out (length a variable there?). I’ll post pictures of the process to help others.

CF hardware included with Fairing, no instructions.

Old 04-25-2023, 12:10 PM
Overlanding
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

We have our new pre bent brackets made so installation only requires you to bolt on by drilling two holes in the flat wind dam under the rack. The brackets will come with your order of the 52" x 9" fairing moving forward along with two regular brackets for the side mounts. cofairingco.com

GrouseK9 (05-01-2023)
Old 04-25-2023, 12:15 PM
Overlanding
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

we finally have our pre bent brackets ready to go if you would like to get two for the center mounts. For the bolts to mount the brackets to the rack you can use
1/4-20 carriage bolts similar to the ones included with your order. As far as directions, we have some tips and tricks on our site but due to customers having so many
different styles of vehicles, racks, and items on their racks, installations vary so dramatically that we can't have a single instructional sheet with the fairing. Also, many customers come up with unique styles of install, directions can change at anytime. If you ever need advice please reach out to is info@cofairingco.com and we can work to help you figure out a solution.

CFC

Neo B (05-16-2023)

Quick Reply: Wind noise with LR Expedition Roof Rack